More important to Oiler dynasty: Gretzky or Messier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCD

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
chooch said:
Gretzky had 48% more ESGA than the next NHLer in history. Where did I say Goal Diff?

Gretzky was traded for Jimmy Carson straight up (both were destructive forces in the locker rooms; Sather had had enough of Gretz) - the money thing was never proven; the NHL would have stepped in otherwise.

Watching Gretz try to skate in his last 4-5 seasons was worth the price of admission. No one would even dare touch him. Those little asissts in yet another Rangers loss were funny too - he was so proud of them with his shirt half tucked out earnestly trying to get a point in the last minute of play.

I know its hard to keep up but I said he never drew a penalty as in "he was never slashed or checked". Who cares how many times he sat in the box himself taking a leak.

Well..... 15% of the polled think Messier was more important than $99. Seems about the right percentage in life and hockey. 85% sheep; 15% thinkers.

You really just make this crap up as you go along, don't you?

Gretzky for Jimmy Carson strait up? A two second google search reveals what an idiotic statement that is.

Facts have never gotten in the way of your insane hatred of Wayne before, so I don't expect them to matter now. Suffice to say, damn near everything you say is a flat-out lie.

Last edited:

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
chooch said:
Wayne had 40% more even strength goals against than any other player in history.

Completely false.

Name GP ESGA (* not including 2004 or 2006)
Wayne Gretzky 1487 1838
Paul Coffey 1409 1654
Larry Murphy 1615 1541
Ray Bourque 1612 1458
Mark Messier 1680 1455
Ron Francis 1651 1454
Dave Babych 1195 1422
Scott Stevens 1597 1399
Phil Housley 1495 1386
Marcel Dionne 1348 1368

Gretzky was on the ice for 11% more even-strength goals than anyone else. And he scored 51% more points than anyone else. I'll gladly take that trade-off.

chooch said:
The only Art Ross being a minus.

Stan Mikita, 1968. -3, won the Art Ross.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Hockey Outsider said:
Completely false.

Wayne Gretzky 1487 1838
Paul Coffey 1409 1654
Larry Murphy 1615 1541
Ray Bourque 1612 1458
Mark Messier 1680 1455
Ron Francis 1651 1454
Dave Babych 1195 1422
Scott Stevens 1597 1399
Phil Housley 1495 1386
Marcel Dionne 1348 1368

Gretzky was on the ice for 11% more even-strength goals than anyone else. And he scored 51% more points than anyone else. I'll gladly take that trade-off.

HO, how could you? You've needlessly terminated another one of chooch's fallacious Gretzky bashing facts. I just don't know how chooch is going to be able to continue to spew his historically inaccurate, hate-filled, petty, irrelevant nonsense around here, when his arguments continue to be exposed for the garbage that they are.

Maybe we should just stop exposing his ignorance, and let the troll continue to live in his little fantasy world, where fiction is truth.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
God Bless Canada said:
HO, how could you? You've needlessly terminated another one of chooch's fallacious Gretzky bashing facts. I just don't know how chooch is going to be able to continue to spew his historically inaccurate, hate-filled, petty, irrelevant nonsense around here, when his arguments continue to be exposed for the garbage that they are.

Maybe we should just stop exposing his ignorance, and let the troll continue to live in his little fantasy world, where fiction is truth.

It's actually impressive that his arguments are SO wrong that they can be disproven with statistics, not just opinion.

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
David Puddy said:
Is that so? Wayne Gretzky's Even Strength Goal Differential is significantly better than that of Mark Messier. Have a look.

Code:
[U]PLAYER 	GF	GA	DIF[/U]
Gretzky	2356	1838	518
Messier	1662	1455	207

Gretzky's differential is a wopping 67% higher than Messier's.

At 37 years old in his second to last season, Wayne Gretzky finished tied for third with 90 Points in the NHL in scoring, one point behind Forsberg for second. Messier only had 60 Points.

Then why did they vote him one Pearson?

Hahaha, gold!

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
Hockey Outsider said:
Completely false.

Wayne Gretzky 1487 1838
Paul Coffey 1409 1654
Larry Murphy 1615 1541
Ray Bourque 1612 1458
Mark Messier 1680 1455
Ron Francis 1651 1454
Dave Babych 1195 1422
Scott Stevens 1597 1399
Phil Housley 1495 1386
Marcel Dionne 1348 1368

Haha, you are my new hero, along with David Puddy :D

chooch*

Hockey Outsider said:
Completely false.

Wayne Gretzky 1487 1838
Paul Coffey 1409 1654

Larry Murphy 1615 1541
Ray Bourque 1612 1458
Mark Messier 1680 1455
Ron Francis 1651 1454
Dave Babych 1195 1422
Scott Stevens 1597 1399
Phil Housley 1495 1386
Marcel Dionne 1348 1368

I just want to know whether you believe those are attributes of a true superstar?

Lets leave defencemen out of it for now. Gretz has 400 more esga than the next forward. And in 200 less games! :shakehead

If you prorate it, its about 45% more than the next forward.

Hows that for a stat thrown back at ya, you stats jockey.
Feeling foolish, yet?

So much for your "completely false" comment. You might be another Bucky/Ogo. I thought you were good with stats for awhile.

The two most overrated players ever in my opinion and youre proving my point since theyre at 1 and 2. Defencemen should normally get a bye in this ranking but Coffey has 200 less games played and 200 more evenstrentgh goals against than a Bourque. I know what he was doing on the ice and it wasnt pretty. Thats why like his buddy at #1 they bounced around a lot after their Oiler days. (and dont mix points and ESGA, you stats newbie).

Theyre all 80's dudes for the most part - proving that that decade was nonsense for hockey especially in the West.

Last edited by a moderator:

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
chooch said:
Lets leave defencemen out of it for now. Gretz has 400 more esga than the next forward. And in 200 less games! :shakehead

He also has about 1,000 more points than the next forward...in 200 less games.

I'll take that trade-off any day.

Besides, I thought scoring was so high because he played in the run-and-gun west. So surely you can't blame a guy for being on the ice for lots of goals against. I heard they didn't even play with goalies in the Western Conference untill 1992.

[IMAGE]http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/1332/choochgretz8zc.jpg[/IMAGE]

Last edited:

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
chooch said:
I just want to know whether you believe those are attributes of a true superstar?

So much for your "completely false" comment. You might be another Bucky/Ogo. I thought you were good with stats for awhile.
The two most overrated players ever in my opinion and youre proving my point since theyre at 1 and 2. Defencemen should normally get a bye in this ranking but Coffey has 200 less games played and 200 more evenstrentgh goals against than a Bourque. I know what he was doing on the ice and it wasnt pretty. Thats why like his buddy at #1 they bounced around a lot after their Oiler days. (and dont mix points and ESGA, you stats newbie).

Theyre all 80's dudes for the most part - proving that that decade was nonsense for hockey especially in the West.

Chooch, I thought I had made it perfectly clear that while I was flattered by your extra attention, I just am not interested in being more than just friends. Please refrain from referencing me in your posts. Please, I implore you no private messages about non-hockey topics. Thanks

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Wild Thing said:
I'm thinking of buying Hockey's Future so I can make a rule that nobody who was born after 1980 can even discuss Wayne Gretzky. :shakehead

I heard reindeer pelt is the official currency in Finland. Can you confirm? ;)

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
I love Mark Messier. My second favourite player all time (first being Kevin Lowe) and a guy I'll promote forever.

However, when you ply on the same team as the best player of all time you will never be as important as that player.

I will say Messier opened up the ice for Gretzky more than it would've been if he was on a one line team.

chooch*

Bring Back Bucky said:
Chooch, I thought I had made it perfectly clear that while I was flattered by your extra attention, I just am not interested in being more than just friends. Please refrain from referencing me in your posts. Please, I implore you no private messages about non-hockey topics. Thanks
Ive never pmed an ******* like you; I give you authorization to go to teh mods about my supposed pm's to you.

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
chooch said:
Gretzky was traded for Jimmy Carson straight up (both were destructive forces in the locker rooms; Sather had had enough of Gretz) - the money thing was never proven; the NHL would have stepped in otherwise.

Wow...

The money thing hasn't been proven?

Is your tin hat comfortable?

chooch*

arrbez said:
He also has about 1,000 more points than the next forward...in 200 less games.

I'll take that trade-off any day.

Besides, I thought scoring was so high because he played in the run-and-gun west. So surely you can't blame a guy for being on the ice for lots of goals against. I heard they didn't even play with goalies in the Western Conference untill 1992.

[IMAGE]http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/1332/choochgretz8zc.jpg[/IMAGE]

Come one arrbez, you know youre in over your head discussing anything except Tie domi's future.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
chooch said:
Come one arrbez, you know youre in over your head discussing anything except Tie domi's future.

I pay my taxes, and I'll vote for whomever I choose in the federal elections.

Last edited:

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
chooch said:

I watched an old classic '83 Finals game, game 4 against the New York Islanders.

I stopped counting the amount of time Gretzky backchecked at 23. Including one time where he broke up a guy trying to get in on a breakaway (as in Gretzky was the first one back).

Not too shabby for a guy that teammates apparently would shout "get back on defense" and whatnot.

Dogbert*

chooch said:
Well..... 15% of the polled think Messier was more important than $99. Seems about the right percentage in life and hockey. 85% sheep; 15% thinkers.

What's the percentage of bitter French guys who immediately discredit anyone who doesn't share their heritage as "overrated," even when their arguments have been ripped to shreds and dismissed as idiocy countless times?

The answer is Gretzky, and it's not even close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad