GDT: More Dad Jokes! - Caps @ Devils - 1 PM - MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I only want Kowalski as an interim. He goes back to the AHL or where he wants if it doesn't work. He gets the job if he succeeds.

These guys have been half assing it for weeks now. I don't care who, but get a hard ass interim coach in here to break balls and make sure these players understand this isn't acceptable or be traded and we hire a proper coach in the offseason.

Ya, that'll work lol

So you think that having a interim HC will somehow motivate our guys? You think they'll react to the new bench boss, knowing he'll be back in the minors by seasons end? Did you ever have a substitute teacher? Their level of power is pretty slim and they'll tune him out in a matter of seconds. Honestly, that's probably the last thing I'd do cause it'll give the false impression that it was all on the coach when we all know that certain player, key players, have been half assing it and need to be held accountable.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Ya, that'll work lol

So you think that having a interim HC will somehow motivate our guys? You think they'll react to the new bench boss, knowing he'll be back in the minors by seasons end? Did you ever have a substitute teacher? Their level of power is pretty slim and they'll tune him out in a matter of seconds. Honestly, that's probably the last thing I'd do cause it'll give the false impression that it was all on the coach when we all know that certain player, key players, have been half assing it and need to be held accountable.

Honest question...Do you think that this is a well coached team?

Are you saying that this is a well run team and the players are just half assing it. And if the players are not giving an honest effort, where is the discipline? What are the consequences or motivation coming from the staff?

From my perspective this is a very poorly ran team.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Honest question...Do you think that this is a well coached team?

Are you saying that this is a well run team and the players are just half assing it. And if the players are not giving an honest effort, where is the discipline? What are the consequences or motivation coming from the staff?

From my perspective this is a very poorly ran team.

Those are the sort of questions the pro-Hynes crowd will never answer in a straightforward manner, just a friendly heads-up. ;)

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Yeah that makes sense...it's on the players because all of them are half assing it, so they need to be held accountable. But it's not on the coaching staff. Ummm, who is responsible for holding them accountable then, and who is to blame if that accountability doesn't exist? LOL

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yeah that makes sense...it's on the players because all of them are half assing it, so they need to be held accountable. But it's not on the coaching staff. Ummm, who is responsible for holding them accountable then, and who is to blame if that accountability doesn't exist? LOL

I'm still waiting for an explaination for how that works.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I'm still waiting for an explaination for how that works.

It's not rocket science and I'm actually pretty dumbfounded that you had to ask the question.

Just by glazing over our GDT/post game thread, you'll find a boat load of people second guessing Hynes roster decision, the lines, the PP personnel, etc.

I can't even imagine the **** storm it would create here if he were to bench Greene, Severson, Henrique, Palmieri or Cammalleri. People are flipping out cause Auvitu isn't in our lineup, so yeah, it would be pretty ugly.

And that famous quote that a HC "lost his room" after several horrible games is another poor excuse IMO. We're talking about grown men who are getting paid millions and you're telling me that they need to be motivated as if they're pee-wee players? If the final score of our shalackings isn't a reason enough to work your tail off in order to turn things around, Hynes isn't the issue, it's the overall leadership of our veterans that should be questioned.

Changing a head coach won't solve a damn thing with our current roster and I doubt Shero will pull the carpet from under Hynes feet when he knows himself that they're 18 months into our rebuild.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It's not rocket science and I'm actually pretty dumbfounded that you had to ask the question.

Just by glazing over our GDT/post game thread, you'll find a boat load of people second guessing Hynes roster decision, the lines, the PP personnel, etc.

I can't even imagine the **** storm it would create here if he were to bench Greene, Severson, Henrique, Palmieri or Cammalleri. People are flipping out cause Auvitu isn't in our lineup, so yeah, it would be pretty ugly.

And that famous quote that a HC "lost his room" after several horrible games is another poor excuse IMO. We're talking about grown men who are getting paid millions and you're telling me that they need to be motivated as if they're pee-wee players? If the final score of our shalackings isn't a reason enough to work your tail off in order to turn things around, Hynes isn't the issue, it's the overall leadership of our veterans that should be questioned.

Changing a head coach won't solve a damn thing with our current roster and I doubt Shero will pull the carper from under Hynes feet when he knows himself that they're 18 months into our rebuild.
Several games? You make it sound like it's been one or two handfuls of games, it's been like 21 games now....

The lengths people go to defend this novice coach.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Several games? You make it sound like it's been one or two handfuls of games, it's been like 21 games now....

The lengths people go to defend this novice coach.

Yeah, 21 games, true. What's hilarious is that you lose your mind if someone like Kalinin is on the PP, so I can just imagine what kind of tantrum you would pull if he did bench one of our legit players for poor play.

Where were you last year when he took this garbage roster and almost landed us in the playoffs? Were you singing the same tune back then or were you claiming he should have several votes for coach of the year? But now, since things aren't going our way, you'll forget all about last year cause you and others live in a "what have you done for me lately" type of world.

Honestly, I really hope all the complainers get their wish ASAP... so I can see the same type of BS arguments recycled all over again with coach X, Y, Z.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I think people put too much stock into the coach providing motivation. I think it's more their job to come up with a gameplan, put the players out there to execute it, and make adjustments accordingly. And in those areas I think there's fair criticism when it comes to Hynes. The motivation stuff is more on the players IMO.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yeah, 21 games, true. What's hilarious is that you lose your mind if someone like Kalinin is on the PP, so I can just imagine what kind of tantrum you would pull if he did bench one of our legit players for poor play.

Where were you last year when he took this garbage roster and almost landed us in the playoffs? Were you singing the same tune back then or were you claiming he should have several votes for coach of the year? But now, since things aren't going our way, you'll forget all about last year cause you and others live in a "what have you done for me lately" type of world.

Honestly, I really hope all the complainers get their wish ASAP... so I can see the same type of BS arguments recycled all over again with coach X, Y, Z.

Cory Schneider and his .924 save percentage say hello.

And he almost got us into the playoffs? What a load of malarkey that is. Missing the playoffs by 12 points isn't exactly ''Almost landing us in the playoffs''.

He landed us closer to the playoffs than he did to the league's basement though, big whoop!

And as I've maintained, I didn't have much of a problem with him last year. I still maintain he's lost the team, more than just forgetting how to coach. But people like you act like a coach needs to be around for an eternity in order to lose a team.

And I don't want Hynes fired, so don't lump me in with the crowd that you hope gets their wish. There's no point in firing him, but god damn Shero if he extends him before he shows any type of an improvement.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
And what legit player should he bench for poor play? Schneider? He did that yesterday.

Don't even say Henrique or Palmieri, who have been quite hot lately.

What legit players should he bench? Hall when he gets back to being healthy? WHO?!

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'm partial to in-game benching. You don't see that much these days but I'm an advocate.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I'm partial to in-game benching. You don't see that much these days but I'm an advocate.

Hynes did that earlier this year with Henrique and Palmieri for a period (I wanna say the Kings game?) and it didn't really work.

The problem with scratching/benching key players is we don't have the depth to bench key players without weakening the roster. Which if you're purely in the message sending process I guess is okay. But the GM called out the players and that lasted all of one game, so really what are these players made of?

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Cory Schneider and his .924 save percentage say hello.

And he almost got us into the playoffs? What a load of malarkey that is. Missing the playoffs by 12 points isn't exactly ''Almost landing us in the playoffs''.

He landed us closer to the playoffs than he did to the league's basement though, big whoop!

And as I've maintained, I didn't have much of a problem with him last year. I still maintain he's lost the team, more than just forgetting how to coach. But people like you act like a coach needs to be around for an eternity in order to lose a team.

And I don't want Hynes fired, so don't lump me in with the crowd that you hope gets their wish. There's no point in firing him, but god damn Shero if he extends him before he shows any type of an improvement.

Yeah, Cory played like Cory and for some strange reason, he's apart of our team. When Marty was in God mode with guys like Mottau and a garbage defence, no one said a thing except Marty was just being Marty.

If you can't see the positive, can't really blame you cause positivity is like the plague around here, in what Hynes did last year with a bottom #5 roster, with Henrique, Cammalleri, Palmieri, Larsson, etc... then there's no point going back and forth with you.

People forget oh so quickly the positive he gave us last year, and the start of this year as well, but what can you do.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Palmieri and Henrique have been scoring lately. Cammalleri has gone cold, but he'll probably score a bunch of points soon and even things back out.

We bench them for an entire game and that useless sack of **** Kalinin and Josefson are probably playing 20 minutes and we're getting shutout.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
And what legit player should he bench for poor play? Schneider? He did that yesterday.

Don't even say Henrique or Palmieri, who have been quite hot lately.

What legit players should he bench? Hall when he gets back to being healthy? WHO?!

Henrique and Palmieri took about 23 games to get started so don't act as if their current play has been the norm, please. Greene has been average, Lovejoy is pretty bad, Severson makes dumb plays every other shift (cue Jim defending his boy and that he's a borderline superstar in 3, 2, 1...), have you seen Cammalleri lately?

With our current slump, you're telling me that everyone is playing to their standards?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yeah, Cory played like Cory and for some strange reason, he's apart of our team. When Marty was in God mode with guys like Mottau and a garbage defence, no one said a thing except Marty was just being Marty.

If you can't see the positive, can't really blame you cause positivity is like the plague around here, in what Hynes did last year with a bottom #5 roster, with Henrique, Cammalleri, Palmieri, Larsson, etc... then there's no point going back and forth with you.

People forget oh so quickly the positive he gave us last year, and the start of this year as well, but what can you do.

So Hynes is the reason that Cory had that kind of a year? Same with Henrique, Cammalleri, Palmieri, etc?

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Hynes did that earlier this year with Henrique and Palmieri for a period (I wanna say the Kings game?) and it didn't really work.

The problem with scratching/benching key players is we don't have the depth to bench key players without weakening the roster. Which if you're purely in the message sending process I guess is okay. But the GM called out the players and that lasted all of one game, so really what are these players made of?

:handclap:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Henrique and Palmieri took about 23 games to get started so don't act as if their current play has been the norm, please. Greene has been average, Lovejoy is pretty bad, Severson makes dumb plays every other shift (cue Jim defending his boy and that he's a borderline superstar in 3, 2, 1...), have you seen Cammalleri lately?

With our current slump, you're telling me that everyone is playing to their standards?

I agree with you on Lovejoy.

However, your coach that you defend does not agree with you. He thinks Lovejoy is so good, he plays him during a 3 on 3 OT.

Does that many ANY sense to you at all? Our worst offensive player on the entire team and he's getting 3 on 3 time? When we're supposed to be playing to win the game and to do that, we have to score and we're playing Lovejoy?

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
I think people put too much stock into the coach providing motivation. I think it's more their job to come up with a gameplan, put the players out there to execute it, and make adjustments accordingly. And in those areas I think there's fair criticism when it comes to Hynes. The motivation stuff is more on the players IMO.

A small group tried to use that logic when Deboer was public enemy number one here and we were constantly told we were wrong.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

Oh, I don't think it's the players at all. I think it's a bad system. So discipline is irrelevant in my view....you can't keep asking your players to run into brick wall and not expect them to eventually give up.

The team is really a complete mess in their own zone. They are expending an incredible amount energy going in circles... at some point after spending 2/3 of a shift in your own zone and the rest of the time in fruitless transition to a dead end on the offensive side you are going to give up no matter who you are.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
So Hynes is the reason that Cory had that kind of a year? Same with Henrique, Cammalleri, Palmieri, etc?

Cammalleri was among the top #10 point producers before getting injured and Palmieri set a record year goal, assist and point wise under Hynes. Henrique scored 30 under Hynes and Larsson picked up his game and showed the rest of the league that he was a legit top pairing shutdown guy, which landed us Hall in the same process.

Was it all Hynes, of course not... just like it's not all on Hynes when talking about our current slump.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Oh, I don't think it's the players at all. I think it's a bad system. So discipline is irrelevant in my view....you can't keep asking your players to run into brick wall and not expect them to eventually give up.

The team is really a complete mess in their own zone. They are expending an incredible amount energy going in circles... at some point after spending 2/3 of a shift in your own zone and the rest of the time in fruitless transition to a dead end on the offensive side you are going to give up no matter who you are.

And you don't think that spending 2/3 of a shift in your own zone has nothing to do with our garbage blueline?

66% of our defensive core can't skate or make a legit breakout pass to start a counter attack but I guess that doesn't count. We had the same issue in years past when grenade handlers like Volchenkov and Salvador were just throwing pucks off the glass to clear the zone. All that did was having our forwards chase the puck 90% of their shift and that's about it.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Cammalleri was among the top #10 point producers before getting injured and Palmieri set a record year goal, assist and point wise under Hynes. Henrique scored 30 under Hynes and Larsson picked up his game and showed the rest of the league that he was a legit top pairing shutdown guy, which landed us Hall in the same process.

Was it all Hynes, of course not... just like it's not all on Hynes when talking about our current slump.

Cammalleri has been an established scorer in the league for years, Cory was arguably the best goaltender in the NHL between 2010 and this year, Henrique had never scored 30 but it's not like it was a year that blew any of his past years of out the water.

Palmieri I'll give you though, that was by far a career year for him and unlike anything he had done up to that point. Larsson was starting to come into his own in the year before, but did continue to progress under Hynes.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
And you don't think that spending 2/3 of a shift in your own zone has nothing to do with our garbage blueline.

No I don't. I think the attention to detail overall has been missing and particularly from the forwards for last two years....same stuff was happening last year and our defense as whole was taking zero chances so it wasn't as bad, but the structure was a problem last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad