Post-Game Talk: Moral Victory Alert!! (and we get a point too) - 2-1 Wings win in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Lol...just watched the highlights again.....Jesus Christ JVR...you were so close to the guy you didn't ven have to move to touch him....

If i am Babs, i would have that video looping on every screen in the ACC all day.

If there ever was bag skate moment this season, that was it. "Didn't want the discomfort of sprinting to the bench dead tired for a change, so you stayed on? Well, here's what it would have felt like. Times ten"

YOYOTCROSTER*

Wow wow wow JVR really. Common man grow some.

Between Bozak JVR and Gardiner everyone passed the buck and let the Detroit shooter come straight down broadway. Even then Reimer was too deep in the net once he saw that Gardiner had moved to cover the other forward (which actually if you watch the video again he ended up leaving the other forward open for a short cross ice pass and tap in if shooter decided to pass it).

Didn't watch game only videos this morning but that's 2 games in a row where game has ended very badly with Leafs, and coach, making many mistakes.

Coach had wrong guys on the ice with no defensive skills and players on the ice had no idea what they were doing defensively as a group. Again I think this must be all about tank nation here which is a great thing because it is clear we need Matthews. The Leafs with look a lot different with a player who can control the entire ice surface.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Babcock has the players competing hard, too bad he has so little offensive talent to work with, as he could be getting better results in 1 goal losses of which there have been 6 this season.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
JVR's 2nd GLP (game losing play) in a row. Threw the puck out from behind the net against the Jets at the end of the PP...results in gWG by the Jets.

New tank commander?

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Babcock has the players competing hard, too bad he has so little offensive talent to work with, as he could be getting better results in 1 goal losses of which there have been 6 this season.

Yeah, we're missing Kessel more than we thought we would. I wonder what Kessel haters are thinking now?

rdogg

I cry your pardon
Aug 4, 2010
PEI
Kadri has been close to scoring so many times now

Hopefully his luck will change soon

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Yeah, we're missing Kessel more than we thought we would. I wonder what Kessel haters are thinking now?

Some people didn't understand that it's a chain reaction. It's not only Kessel that is gone, it's what he does to JVR and Bozak's offense. It's the scoring relief that unit brought the rest of the lineup. It's the increased pressure and opposition focus on the previous secondary threats on the team.

I thought that we could perhaps fight past it with terrific depth, but too many of our new guys have not found a good role they can contribute in on the team. Most depth players need to be in the right role with the right linemates to be effective, and we haven't found that mixture. Only the best depth players like Winnik and Komarov can be effective regardless.

StevieBlunder

Jun 17, 2015

We're missing his goals, expected and meaningless really. We don't need goals. I prefer the way this team of misfits is playing to how Kessel played here. This team doesn't miss his style of play at all. Not at all.

Goals don't really matter right now. Seeing this team play a solid 60 minute game is vastly more important, and is happening.

Kessel would be detrimental to that. So he's gone. Simple really.

Edit: Also not that I want to harp on Kessel too long, but you'd think his supporters would be GLAD he was gone. He's in an organization now where he can achieve success, rather than be the face of consistent failure.

Last edited:

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
I feel for Kadri. He's playing great and just can't buy one (not that many on this team can either).

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
And boy is it ever sour-

9-1 in their last 10 games
Kessel 2nd in team scoring behind Malkin
3 game winning goals
+1
3 hits!!!!

Good for him that he has 3 hits, but, has he suddenly become a physical threat. He has, like, the 2nd least amount of hits on his team, only ONE player has fewer hits than him - pretty much the same as when he was a Leaf.

Komarov has over 50 hits already!

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Good for him that he has 3 hits, but, has he suddenly become a physical threat. He has, like, the 2nd least amount of hits on his team, only ONE player has fewer hits than him - pretty much the same as when he was a Leaf.

Komarov has over 50 hits already!

Watch out for the humour train. It might trample you one day.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Some people didn't understand that it's a chain reaction. It's not only Kessel that is gone, it's what he does to JVR and Bozak's offense. It's the scoring relief that unit brought the rest of the lineup. It's the increased pressure and opposition focus on the previous secondary threats on the team.

I thought that we could perhaps fight past it with terrific depth, but too many of our new guys have not found a good role they can contribute in on the team. Most depth players need to be in the right role with the right linemates to be effective, and we haven't found that mixture. Only the best depth players like Winnik and Komarov can be effective regardless.

Yep, I remember people thinking the Leafs offense could make up Kessel's point totals by "committee" - the big problem with that was - how do you make up for his playmaking? The answer seems pretty clearly that we can't. Depth guys like Winnik can certainly play a big role in a team's success, problem is, you need to have offensive skill to get a win.

I'm still happy they traded him: it's allowing the team to finally bottom out.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
We're missing his goals, expected and meaningless really. We don't need goals. I prefer the way this team of misfits is playing to how Kessel played here. This team doesn't miss his style of play at all. Not at all.

Goals don't really matter right now. Seeing this team play a solid 60 minute game is vastly more important, and is happening.

Kessel would be detrimental to that. So he's gone. Simple really.

Edit: Also not that I want to harp on Kessel too long, but you'd think his supporters would be GLAD he was gone. He's in an organization now where he can achieve success, rather than be the face of consistent failure.

The return was pathetic that's why, for that pitiful return they should of tried to see what Babcock could of done, Kessel isn't great defensively but he wasn't a defensive train wreck on Boston or the Penguins so far.

Why would anyone be happy that the most elite player the Leafs have had in a long time was traded for scraps.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
The return was pathetic that's why, for that pitiful return they should of tried to see what Babcock could of done, Kessel isn't great defensively but he wasn't a defensive train wreck on Boston or the Penguins so far.

Why would anyone be happy that the most elite player the Leafs have had in a long time was traded for scraps.

I could care less that Kessel is gone. Kessel, regardless of his skill was good for one thing and one thing only, his offence. Hockey is not all about the offence, this is not Basketball, it is a 3 zone sport where if 1 or more of your teams players can't play all 3 zones the entire team suffers.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

Nothing. Where would we be with Kessel? A few more points closer to a wild card spot? Who cares? We'd still be not a playoff team, but with a worse draft pick. It's not like we would be contenders with him. I am not a Kessel hater, by the way.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Nothing. Where would we be with Kessel? A few more points closer to a wild card spot? Who cares? We'd still be not a playoff team, but with a worse draft pick. It's not like we would be contenders with him. I am not a Kessel hater, by the way.

I think those 1 goal losses and ot losses would be wins and this year's losses have mostly been close losses. With Kessel in the line up they'd probably have 6 or 7 more points, not great, but probably a playoff team.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I think those 1 goal losses and ot losses would be wins and this year's losses have mostly been close losses. With Kessel in the line up they'd probably have 6 or 7 more points, not great, but probably a playoff team.

The Leafs are striving to be better. Would they ever be a Stanley Cup contender if they settle on trying to sneak into the playoffs all the time? The goal is not to be barely a playoff team, the goal is to build this right. I am happy they are doing this the right way. Not to say that I am happy with being last place, but I understand that is a necessary part of the process. I know I wouldn't be happy if this roster+ Kessel produced a wild card team. That does nothing for the future.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
I could care less that Kessel is gone. Kessel, regardless of his skill was good for one thing and one thing only, his offence. Hockey is not all about the offence, this is not Basketball, it is a 3 zone sport where if 1 or more of your teams players can't play all 3 zones the entire team suffers.

EXACTLY - Strongly agree and the very reason he is gone!

A lot of people only see the goals when they watch hockey I suppose.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
The Leafs are striving to be better. Would they ever be a Stanley Cup contender if they settle on trying to sneak into the playoffs all the time? The goal is not to be barely a playoff team, the goal is to build this right. I am happy they are doing this the right way. Not to say that I am happy with being last place, but I understand that is a necessary part of the process. I know I wouldn't be happy if this roster+ Kessel produced a wild card team. That does nothing for the future.

The Kings barely snuck into the playoffs a few years ago and won the Cup, so yeah as long as you make the playoffs, you can still win it all.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

I don't care when he or anyone else is traded, I just think that was a horrific deal and they never should of accepted it. Poor asset management has been a problem with this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad