Moose/Prospects that could make the jump to the Jets next year

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Roslovic is the only lock.

Niku gets the first 9 for sure.. I'm hoping he makes the big club with Poolman as the 7th. Poolman is a bit of a multi-tool. He can sub in anywhere so he's a perfect press box guy.

Vesa - no way. Whole year on the Moose (which I think is the right move)
Petan - Hoping he gets a chance but it wouldn't surprise me if he gets under 5 games all year. He just doesn't seem to be in the plans. Not particularly fast and doesn't produce at an eye-popping rate in the AHL
I like Poolman,s first pass to much to have him in the press box

Reactions: Runforthecup

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Interesting discussion on Petan. Some comparibles:

Jonathan Marchessault:

Scored 172 points in 206 AHL games in his first three pro years for a 0.83 ppg. He went on to play another 100 AHL games before he made the NHL full time.

Our own Mathieau Perrault:

Scored 135 points in 165 games his first 3 seasons of a pro in the AHL for a .81 ppg. He made the NHL full time in his 4th pro season.

Tyler Johnson: played an overage season in the WHL and then scored 133 points in 137 games for a .97 ppg. He made it to the NHL full time in his 4th eligible pro year.

Petan will be heading into his 4th pro year next season. Through three AHL years he's scored 89 points in 108 games for a 0.82 ppg.

That puts his development inline with other smaller players like Perrault and Marchessault. It is also paints the picture that often times smaller skilled guys, especially players who aren't the fleetest of foot need significant development time before they are ready to play in the NHL.

Just looking at these comparables gives me some opptimisim that Petan can do What they did and make it full time this coming season.

The only downside is outside of Johnson the rest were in situations where the team that drafted them had to give up on them and they went elsewhere to breakout.

If Petan can work on his skating this off season and come into camp faster he has a good shot at making our roster.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Interesting discussion on Petan. Some comparibles:

Jonathan Marchessault:

Scored 172 points in 206 AHL games in his first three pro years for a 0.83 ppg. He went on to play another 100 AHL games before he made the NHL full time.

Our own Mathieau Perrault:

Scored 135 points in 165 games his first 3 seasons of a pro in the AHL for a .81 ppg. He made the NHL full time in his 4th pro season.

Tyler Johnson: played an overage season in the WHL and then scored 133 points in 137 games for a .97 ppg. He made it to the NHL full time in his 4th eligible pro year.

Petan will be heading into his 4th pro year next season. Through three AHL years he's scored 89 points in 108 games for a 0.82 ppg.

That puts his development inline with other smaller players like Perrault and Marchessault. It is also paints the picture that often times smaller skilled guys, especially players who aren't the fleetest of foot need significant development time before they are ready to play in the NHL.

Just looking at these comparables gives me some opptimisim that Petan can do What they did and make it full time this coming season.

Nice comparables. I honestly hope he's on the cusp of making the leap. We can use all of the good young players we can get.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

RandomJetsFan

Apr 19, 2014
manitoba
I'll toss this in as a possible dark horse thats only providing if we get the same one game mason again this upcoming season mikhail berdin as the potential call up to back up helly

Dirty30

Feb 12, 2012
I honestly think Petan can give you the exact same production as Perreault if given the same opportunity. Younger, cheaper, less injury prone. IMO I’d keep Petan and trade Perreault for picks or prospects. Could be packaged up in a bigger deal.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think we trade Petan to Vancouver. He's from there and Travis Green has gotten as many old Portland Winterhawks as he could.

I'd love for us to give Petan a chance, but he's likely not even going to crack the fourth line with how high quality and how deep the depth is. We might even have to trade Mason Appleton in the future our roster is so high quality.

Reactions: Jet

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
I honestly think Petan can give you the exact same production as Perreault if given the same opportunity. Younger, cheaper, less injury prone. IMO I’d keep Petan and trade Perreault for picks or prospects. Could be packaged up in a bigger deal.

Difference is Petan needs to be sheltered and Perrault carries his lines. Dangerous to get rid of Perreault IMO

Reactions: Maukkis

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming

I dunno. Hes had opportunity and has done very little with it. You can talk about who hes played with but... When you arent gonna be in the top 6, cuz lets be real, Petan isnt top 6 on this team... You have to make your mark in the bottom 6 and he hasn't done that yet. I like Petan but this idea that a guy who couldn't crack the bottom 6 can replace Perreault is crazy talk

Reactions: Puckatron 3000

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
Don't think Copp is as solid as many believe, Lowry's lack of any kind of scoring-touch is problematic!

Lowry's scoring rates are decent, especially considering his high end matchups. I think Lowry is a huge reason for our great home record.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Lowry's scoring rates are decent, especially considering his high end matchups. I think Lowry is a huge reason for our great home record.

Lowry's scoring rates were decent, not so much lately!

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Hes a very good defensive center. Lowry isnt asked to score goals. Hes asked to prevent them.

You can't just rely on good defensive game or James friggin Wright would still be in the NHL! Yeah I get that Lowry is good defensively and a big body and all that but at the NHL level you still need to chip in a goal every 10 games, both Lowry and Copp can't!

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Difference is Petan needs to be sheltered and Perrault carries his lines. Dangerous to get rid of Perreault IMO

Perreault is going to be a cap casualty. If not this year, then next. We can't keep everybody and he looks to be the odd man out. I don't see trading Connor so that we can keep Perreault.

Petan is not as good as Perreault. I think that is absolute. But he might be an adequate replacement.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I dunno. Hes had opportunity and has done very little with it. You can talk about who hes played with but... When you arent gonna be in the top 6, cuz lets be real, Petan isnt top 6 on this team... You have to make your mark in the bottom 6 and he hasn't done that yet. I like Petan but this idea that a guy who couldn't crack the bottom 6 can replace Perreault is crazy talk

Making your mark in the bottom 6 does not mean it must be the 4th line with Thor.

It isn't that he must be top 6. He only failed with plugs like Thorburn. That was most of the opportunity he had. He had success in his brief shot with skilled players. There is no reason to conclude that he would not succeed on a scoring 3rd line. Put him with Rosie and Armia and see what happens. If he still flops then he looks like an AHL lifer or Euro leaguer.

Edit: A checking 3rd line would be a different story but where is it written in stone that all 3rd lines must be checking lines? I guess we could call the Lowry line the 3rd line but then we have a scoring 4th line.

Last edited:

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Perreault is going to be a cap casualty. If not this year, then next. We can't keep everybody and he looks to be the odd man out. I don't see trading Connor so that we can keep Perreault.

Petan is not as good as Perreault. I think that is absolute. But he might be an adequate replacement.
Someone come up with a metric that takes points, Corsi, games played and then compares that at value per salary.
I would think Matty's metrics take a small beating if that is done

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Someone come up with a metric that takes points, Corsi, games played and then compares that at value per salary.
I would think Matty's metrics take a small beating if that is done

He has avg'd 67.4 games per season since the lockout. That has to reduce his value a bit. In spite of that he has avg'd 41.8 pts/yr. That is a 50.8 p/yr pace. That's why he gets 4.125 AAV instead of 4.75, more or less. I don't know what the league avg is but it is normal for players to miss games. Maybe around 75 games avg? Just a guess.

That scoring has been pretty consistent. He could probably stay healthier if he changed his style of play but it is that style that makes him so good. He epitomizes the "pack of wolves".

I just hope we get good value for him when he has to be moved.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Not saying that he'll make the jump full time, but I would not be surprised at all to see Spacek get some NHL time next season.

Reactions: Aggie204

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad