Moose/Prospects that could make the jump to the Jets next year

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Roslovic made the leap last season, so I'm not including him. Right now, the only one that has a better than good chance of making the opening day roster is Sami Niku.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
Patrice Cormier. This is the year LOL.

In all seriousness, I had high hopes that JC Lipon would be a good bottom six forward for you guys back in the IceCaps days.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Interesting discussion on Petan. Some comparibles:

Jonathan Marchessault:

Scored 172 points in 206 AHL games in his first three pro years for a 0.83 ppg. He went on to play another 100 AHL games before he made the NHL full time.

Our own Mathieau Perrault:

Scored 135 points in 165 games his first 3 seasons of a pro in the AHL for a .81 ppg. He made the NHL full time in his 4th pro season.

Tyler Johnson: played an overage season in the WHL and then scored 133 points in 137 games for a .97 ppg. He made it to the NHL full time in his 4th eligible pro year.

Petan will be heading into his 4th pro year next season. Through three AHL years he's scored 89 points in 108 games for a 0.82 ppg.

That puts his development inline with other smaller players like Perrault and Marchessault. It is also paints the picture that often times smaller skilled guys, especially players who aren't the fleetest of foot need significant development time before they are ready to play in the NHL.

Just looking at these comparables gives me some opptimisim that Petan can do What they did and make it full time this coming season.

This is the first argument I've seen about Petan that actually has me thinking he might become an NHL regular.

I still don't think it will be with the Jets simply based on who we have in the pipe and what we need. I think he'll have to move on. Hope someone likes him enough to give us something back of value (a D prospect with potential - if not a bit of a project).

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
This is the first argument I've seen about Petan that actually has me thinking he might become an NHL regular.

I still don't think it will be with the Jets simply based on who we have in the pipe and what we need. I think he'll have to move on. Hope someone likes him enough to give us something back of value (a D prospect with potential - if not a bit of a project).

I think he gets a real push by us next season as I am assuming we move out Perrault this week. If he seizes it we have some options the following summer. If Ves looks ready we can trade Petan for more then we would get right now. If Ves needs some more seasoning we have some one to fill the role.

If Petan doesn't seize it then we leave him in the PB or waive him.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I think he gets a real push by us next season as I am assuming we move out Perrault this week. If he seizes it we have some options the following summer. If Ves looks ready we can trade Petan for more then we would get right now. If Ves needs some more seasoning we have some one to fill the role.

If Petan doesn't seize it then we leave him in the PB or waive him.
i'm assuming stastny is gone and Perreault is here playing with roslovic and a someone not on team now next year on his line. I think there is a better chance trouba or myers gets moved for a player we know can play in this league (poolman) rather then one that we hope seizes the opportunity. maybe ves makes the jump and we go Perreault roslovic and ves. not trading Perreault hoping petan can replace him .

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
i'm assuming stastny is gone and Perreault is here playing with roslovic and a someone not on team now next year on his line. I think there is a better chance trouba or myers gets moved for a player we know can play in this league (poolman) rather then one that we hope seizes the opportunity. maybe ves makes the jump and we go Perreault roslovic and ves. not trading Perreault hoping petan can replace him .

Maurice has indicated they have talked to Myers about playing on the left side next season. I don't think he's going anywhere. Unless we can get rid of Mason or Kulikov the only other option to clear space is Perrault.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Maurice has indicated they have talked to Myers about playing on the left side next season. I don't think he's going anywhere. Unless we can get rid of Mason or Kulikov the only other option to clear space is Perrault.
mason will be gone for sure. they cant afford 4million as a back up. someone will take him. I just can not see with the money we have to pay our forwards we can pay over 30 million to our top 5 dmen. Kulikov at 4 mill is better as a 2nd pairing ld then myers at 6mill with trouba getting the same on the right side. I think the team need to pick 1 or the other this summer between trouba or myers.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
mason will be gone for sure. they cant afford 4million as a back up. someone will take him. I just can not see with the money we have to pay our forwards we can pay over 30 million to our top 5 dmen. Kulikov at 4 mill is better as a 2nd pairing ld then myers at 6mill with trouba getting the same on the right side. I think the team need to pick 1 or the other this summer between trouba or myers.

I don't disagree with your logic but it doesn't appear the team thinks that way at least for next season.

Mason will be hard to move given his contract and performance/injury issues last season.

Reactions: Jet

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I don't disagree with your logic but it doesn't appear the team thinks that way at least for next season.

Mason will be hard to move given his contract and performance/injury issues last season.

It's being reported that the Jets are trying to shop Mason, and given his contract is only for one more year, and many teams are in need of a proven starter, it should happen. The Jets may either need to eat up a % of his salary or deal one of our prospects in order for this to happen though, due to Mason's poor 2017-18 season...

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It's being reported that the Jets are trying to shop Mason, and given his contract is only for one more year, and many teams are in need of a proven starter, it should happen. The Jets may either need to eat up a % of his salary or deal one of our prospects in order for this to happen though, due to Mason's poor 2017-18 season...

Who is reporting that, I must have missed it. Also we can't eat any salary or it defeats the purpose as we also have to use cap space on his replacement.

I'm also not at all a fan of spending an asset to make someone eat the cap hit.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Well that is just speculation by Friedman and I doubt McQuire has any info on the Jets. There is no way the org would leak information that Chipman has asked Chevy to move a contract. Moreover moving out Mason still doesn't allow them to keep Stastney, not even close unless Myers joins him.

StiffSquid

Nov 17, 2016
North Carolina
Assuming our core roster is kept intact and none of our UFAs are signed, I don't see very many openings this season at forward.

Connor - Sheifele - Wheeler
Ehlers - Little - Laine
Perreault - Roslovic - Armia
Copp - Lowry - Tanev

Roslovic is a lock at this point. Dano and Petan will either be traded or used as extra forwards as they will require waivers next season and are both skilled players that can play up and down the roster. If they are traded then I can see one or two openings for fringe players like Lemieux or DeLeo, but I vastly prefer Petan or Dano. I don't think Lipon is skilled enough to be on the roster. Appleton has an outside chance of making the team, but it wouldn't surprise me if he did and I think Vesalainen will require a monstrous camp to make the team. I don't see the Jets rushing him to make the lineup but may give him a game or two before sending him down to the Moose. It's only a matter of time before Vesalainen is in the NHL, but I fear he wont be able to work on his offensive game much if he plays a bottom six role.

As for our defense, there will probably be openings as I don't think Enstrom will be resigned but wouldn't be disappointed if he was. I also highly suspect that Myers will be traded for cap space sometime before the season, especially if Stastny resigns. Kulikov is also a trade candidate, but I doubt anyone would touch that contract.

Morrissey - Trouba
Niku/Morrow/Chiarot - Byfuglien
Niku/Chiarot/Kulikov - Myers/Poolman

I think Niku is too skilled to not get at least a few games to start the season so I have him in my lineup. If Myers is traded, one our our LHD would need to make the transition to the right side or hope that Poolman can play consitent enough for a bottom pairing D-man. Morrow will be resigned but he can always be traded or placed on waivers if he doesn't make the team during training camp.

In short, I think these players are skilled enough to make the jump to the NHL next season in some capacity:

Roster players:
Roslovic
Niku
Petan
Vesalainen
Appleton
Poolman

Fringe Players:
Lemieux
DeLeo
Off topic. New Rivers of Nihil is brilliant!

Reactions: Inflict

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad