Moose/Prospects that could make the jump to the Jets next year

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Given that the team will be in potential cap hell the next two seasons, it's always important for those high value ELCs to be utilized.

Wondering who you all think could make the jump from the Moose to the Jets this year.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Jack I think is a lock. Niku I think might get one more year. After that I’m not sure anyone good enough.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Every time I watched Appleton live he didn't look that great, maybe I just saw all his bad games. Nevertheless, I don't think he's anywhere near ready. Petan is ready, get him in there please and thanks. If they want to sign Stastny and have to trade Perreault then Petan can step in on the cheap and do well imo. Niku and Vesa will start with Moose but finish year with Jets.
Poolman and Roslo are locks of course.

Jets2point0

Oct 14, 2017
Can I ask a genuine question - why does Petan deserve one more chance? Or do you feel like he should replace Perreault for ex should we get rid of his contract?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Can I ask a genuine question - why does Petan deserve one more chance? Or do you feel like he should replace Perreault for ex should we get rid of his contract?

That's pretty much it. Similiar type of player that will cost a fraction of the cost that Perrault will. You need that in a cap league.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
My list:

Full time

Petan
Niku
Lipon pb

Call up

Lemieux
Appelton
Vasalinen
Nogier

I was hoping Lipon beat Dano out of TC, but didn't happen. Love to see he and Lowry as a wrecking ball duo.

Lemieux is really strong on puck battles, I think he should progress to the NHL next year.

I don't see Petan coming back, who knows though. He has potential. If Stastny doesn't come back we will need another centre.

Does anyone think Chase DeLeo has a chance to be an NHLer?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Depends on who you see having already made the jump. In my books Rosie already has so I wouldn't include him. Not sure if he will be on the opening day roster, but my best guess to be a NHL regular by season's end is Niku. After that I'd guess Petan.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Depends on who you see having already made the jump. In my books Rosie already has so I wouldn't include him. Not sure if he will be on the opening day roster, but my best guess to be a NHL regular by season's end is Niku. After that I'd guess Petan.
Petan in for who?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I think it will also depend a lot on who the Jets move out this summer. They will more than likely have to move out one decent contract. That and Hendricks and possibly Dano leaving will open up some spots.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Petan in for who?
If the let Hendricks, Dano and Matthias go and sign Tanev, Armia and Lowry they have 12 forwards under contract. I think it is likely Petan is 13/14. He is no longer waiver exempt so I have him on the roster.

That's assuming they don't re-sign Stastny which I think is a long shot.

Inflict

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Assuming our core roster is kept intact and none of our UFAs are signed, I don't see very many openings this season at forward.

Connor - Sheifele - Wheeler
Ehlers - Little - Laine
Perreault - Roslovic - Armia
Copp - Lowry - Tanev

Roslovic is a lock at this point. Dano and Petan will either be traded or used as extra forwards as they will require waivers next season and are both skilled players that can play up and down the roster. If they are traded then I can see one or two openings for fringe players like Lemieux or DeLeo, but I vastly prefer Petan or Dano. I don't think Lipon is skilled enough to be on the roster. Appleton has an outside chance of making the team, but it wouldn't surprise me if he did and I think Vesalainen will require a monstrous camp to make the team. I don't see the Jets rushing him to make the lineup but may give him a game or two before sending him down to the Moose. It's only a matter of time before Vesalainen is in the NHL, but I fear he wont be able to work on his offensive game much if he plays a bottom six role.

As for our defense, there will probably be openings as I don't think Enstrom will be resigned but wouldn't be disappointed if he was. I also highly suspect that Myers will be traded for cap space sometime before the season, especially if Stastny resigns. Kulikov is also a trade candidate, but I doubt anyone would touch that contract.

Morrissey - Trouba
Niku/Morrow/Chiarot - Byfuglien
Niku/Chiarot/Kulikov - Myers/Poolman

I think Niku is too skilled to not get at least a few games to start the season so I have him in my lineup. If Myers is traded, one our our LHD would need to make the transition to the right side or hope that Poolman can play consitent enough for a bottom pairing D-man. Morrow will be resigned but he can always be traded or placed on waivers if he doesn't make the team during training camp.

In short, I think these players are skilled enough to make the jump to the NHL next season in some capacity:

Roster players:
Roslovic
Niku
Petan
Vesalainen
Appleton
Poolman

Fringe Players:
Lemieux
DeLeo

Last edited:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Barring trades, I agree with that roster...

Connor - Sheifele - Wheeler
Ehlers - Little - Laine
Perreault - Roslovic - Armia
Copp - Lowry - Tanev

Petan and Dano in the press box.
JMo JT
Kuli Buff
(De Haan)/Morrow Poolman
Chiarot

Helle Mason

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
If the let Hendricks, Dano and Matthias go and sign Tanev, Armia and Lowry they have 12 forwards under contract. I think it is likely Petan is 13/14. He is no longer waiver exempt so I have him on the roster.

That's assuming they don't re-sign Stastny which I think is a long shot.

Ha, I totally forgot that he was on the roster. It will be nice to get his 2 plus million off the books, I wonder if he gets another NHL contract, not really a great depth piece any more.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Jack I think is a lock. Niku I think might get one more year. After that I’m not sure anyone good enough.

I think there will be an open competition between Poolman and Niku for a starting spot. I have a hard time seeing the organization wanting to really run two rookie dmen full time next season given where we are in our window.

Reactions: Hunter368

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Niku is the only guy I think that has a really good shot of making the team. Poolman will be a starter if we trade Myers. I think Roslovic has already made it. Lemieux will get some games. Vesalainen is a wild card as he might not be ready for the jump just yet but could surprise everyone in camp. We'll get a better read on where he's at in development camp.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Niku and Lemieux are the ones most likely, in my honest opinion. Otherwise, I think Appleton has a good pre-season campaign but doesn't quite make the Jets.

I think Vesalainen staying in Finland is a super smart idea because when we sign him to an ELC it won't affect our cap for when we sign Laine, Trouba, Morrissey, and potentially Wheeler to extensions, also we don't know whether or not which vets will be leaving to which Vesalainen will be replacing. Also, he'll get tons of ice-time in Finland which could make him a super good player coming into the NHL in 2019-20.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Niku and Lemieux are the ones most likely, in my honest opinion. Otherwise, I think Appleton has a good pre-season campaign but doesn't quite make the Jets.

I think Vesalainen staying in Finland is a super smart idea because when we sign him to an ELC it won't affect our cap for when we sign Laine, Trouba, Morrissey, and potentially Wheeler to extensions, also we don't know whether or not which vets will be leaving to which Vesalainen will be replacing. Also, he'll get tons of ice-time in Finland which could make him a super good player coming into the NHL in 2019-20.

If Vesalainen is in the AHL all year his ELC will slide just like how Roslovic's slid for the first year that he was on the Moose.

We only lose a year on his ELC if he plays 10 games on the Jets next season regardless of if he is in the AHL or not.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Just for one thing - his play on the Moose last year. That alone would be plenty. Then there are 3 years worth of arguments about usage and opportunity - but if you don't like that, return to last season on the Moose. Then there is the possibility of replacing Perreault.

If he is not traded then he should be given every opportunity to make the Jets.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
Roslovic is the only lock.

Niku gets the first 9 for sure.. I'm hoping he makes the big club with Poolman as the 7th. Poolman is a bit of a multi-tool. He can sub in anywhere so he's a perfect press box guy.

Vesa - no way. Whole year on the Moose (which I think is the right move)
Petan - Hoping he gets a chance but it wouldn't surprise me if he gets under 5 games all year. He just doesn't seem to be in the plans. Not particularly fast and doesn't produce at an eye-popping rate in the AHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad