Post-Game Talk: Montywall stymies Joisey!

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Difficult to believe Monahan didn’t have a more lucrative offer elsewhere. Probably wanted to sign here due to the environment and trust with Hughes and St Louis. If the agreement was to trade him to a contender, then he will be traded. If he wants to stay in Montreal or come back in the offseason, he will stay. Possible Monahan’s changed his plan as well since the rebuild is apparently accelerating.
I hope that a signing remains an option. He must enjoy playing for MSL and in front a passionate fans.

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
This is the main difference in relation to the Bergevin era, especially with Therrien at the helm. I remember commenting back then that Premier League in the UK had several coaches, like Arsène Wenger, who saw their job as reconciling short term results with long-term nurturing of young players. The polar opposite of the likes of Therrien. MSL seems to understand his work as a weighted sum of short-term performance and long-term incubation of young talent, especially potential game-breakers like Slaf and perhaps Roy. HuGo understand this as well, hence the resources allocated to the likes of Adam Nicholas.
As a writer, kudos. Beautifully phrased. And I totally agree.

We have an excellent manager and head coach. Also, look at how they handled Armia. Gave him plenty of chances/rope to hang himself. And IMO sent him down at just the right time for a well-earned wake-up call. Long gone are the days of Bergy and MT. Thank God!

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
All 3 goals from our young players and backed by our emerging stud goalie. I'll take that.

But definitely a game to forgot from Suzuki. He was rock solid the last couple games but last night was rough.
He was ok until the bone head penalty, but most of our penalties last night were reckless.

Reactions: Tyson

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Difficult to believe Monahan didn’t have a more lucrative offer elsewhere. Probably wanted to sign here due to the environment and trust with Hughes and St Louis. If the agreement was to trade him to a contender, then he will be traded. If he wants to stay in Montreal or come back in the offseason, he will stay. Possible Monahan’s changed his plan as well since the rebuild is apparently accelerating.
Habs extended him in June before the UFA season started, he didn't even wait to see what would be offered elsewhere.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
You get the impression that MSL wants to keep Roy around and work with him similar to what they are doing with Slaf. I know it's a numbers game and they will get healthy bodies back soon though.
Also it is exactly what they did with RHP last season!
I remember arguing about call ups earlier this season with a number of people.
(Linsay Ruff once said)
"it's always preferable to call a player up in the role they are playing" and the role you foresee them in.
Nope 4th line is what I was told. How's that working out. :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Tyson

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Huge loss for Jersey last night. They could have leap frogged three teams in their division and been tied with Tampa for the last playoff spot with two games in hand. At the current pace, the race in the east could be something else with only a couple of teams seemingly out of it at this point.

Good experience for the young Habs to stay in or close to the race.

Reactions: FLHabs

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Habs extended him in June before the UFA season started, he didn't even wait to see what would be offered elsewhere.

For Monahan, Montreal provides a platform for him to showcase himself, and for the Habs, it's a short term asset they can build up if he stays healthy. Win win situation.

The deal absolutely made sense for parties in the summer.

Reactions: morhilane

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
if he gets dealt, maybe he will play out the playoffs and come back again as a UFA...like Plek did .
I would like Monahan back
Hogwash. For every Pleks who gets traded back to his original team, one exception that seems to resonate in people's minds, hundreds of players traded away sign long-term with the acquiring team, or opt for outright free agency and sign elsewhere, and either way view the trade as an affront. To think that he will come back is irrational and not borne out by the bulk of player outcomes.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Hogwash. For every Pleks who gets traded back to his original team, one exception that seems to resonate in people's minds, hundreds of players traded away sign long-term with the acquiring team, or opt for outright free agency and sign elsewhere, and either way view the trade as an affront. To think that he will come back is irrational and not borne out by the bulk of player outcomes.
I agree with what you’re saying but I think you have to take into account that we took him when nobody else wanted him and he obviously appreciated that because he took a team friendly contract to stay an extra year. If there was a case where a player were to come back out of loyalty, I think Monahan could potentially be one of those guys. That said, I wouldn’t give him more then 1 or 2 year deals because of his health.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad