Montreal worst NHL city to play in?

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I feel like a lot of people don't understand that North American taxes are marginal and not flat.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
New argument to eliminate public health care and raise university tuition to ~$50, 000/year: It will be easier for the Habs to bring in players like Ryan Smythe and Brad Richards.

Vote for the CAQ.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
The shocking part is that not everybody already knew this. Quebec taxes are so freakin' high. I'm saving thousands in taxes since I moved to Ottawa along with getting better services.

Aside from the fact that I'm a student, I'm glad I chose Ottawa over Montreal, though I hope I can get my grades up to do a masters at McGill.

jpchabby

Drive for 25
Mar 3, 2006
New argument to eliminate public health care and raise university tuition to ~$50, 000/year: It will be easier for the Habs to bring in players like Ryan Smythe and Brad Richards.

Vote for the CAQ.

That's pretty much it... Wonder if, therefore, the habs management votes for them :laugh:

Hemlor

Jan 27, 2007
Aside from the fact that I'm a student, I'm glad I chose Ottawa over Montreal, though I hope I can get my grades up to do a masters at McGill.

As a student (especially a grad student) there is not better city to live in than Montreal. Low cost of living and low cost of fun. Ottawa is a town compared to Montreal ,not even close

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc

Trust in the "Toronto Sports Network" to try and blow holes in the Habs organization and at Quebec at the same time, any time they run out of something positive to print about their team they focus all their negative BS at our team. Absolutely Sickening the ignorance shown by the few that haven't the intelligence to find something positive to write about their own team. Trying to provoke animosity between the fanbases instead of creating positives for the Canadian way of life and it's national sport, who are these "No Minds" and why are they still allowed to promote their petty selfish agenda's consistently doing harm with no regard for anyone except their bank accounts. Editor's have a say in these topics, and are learned one would assume, why do they give the "Go Ahead" instead of prompting their reporters to use some initiative to find positives about our Countries fortunes and it's great sport?:shakehead

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Come on this is a joke.
In Ontario that tax rate is over $220,000 49.53%
While is the massively over tax province of Quebec its over $136,270 49.97%
Now the biggest difference is the lower levels.
first $41,495 28.53% Quebec
first $40,120 20.05% Ontario

Exactly, the article is sensational. They didn't take into account the tax bracket. People in that bracket are taxed similarly everywhere they go in North America, other than the states mentioned that have no state income tax (Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington and Wyoming).

And the state income tax does not shave millions, it shaves hundreds of thousands.

Also, the article doesn't talk about endorsements, which I'm sure comes up in negotiations. What would PK's endorsements be in Florida? We might not even know his name.

And if it were just about taxes, Florida would have a kickass team.

I saw another guy posted (a bit off topic), that the cap should be based on take-home pay.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Exactly, the article is sensational. They didn't take into account the tax bracket. People in that bracket are taxed similarly everywhere they go in North America, other than the states mentioned that have no state income tax (Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington and Wyoming).

And the state income tax does not shave millions, it shaves hundreds of thousands.

Also, the article doesn't talk about endorsements, which I'm sure comes up in negotiations. What would PK's endorsements be in Florida? We might not even know his name.

And if it were just about taxes, Florida would have a kickass team.

I saw another guy posted (a bit off topic), that the cap should be based on take-home pay.

Alberta has lower provincial tax rate. I know for sure because one of my buddies works there. He is from here but files income tax in Alberta...saves thousands of dollars. And he only makes 100k

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Much as I love Montréal I wouldn't move back.
Something I'm grappling with as we speak. I'll always be a Montrealer though.

Now I haven't seen every city in the world but Montreal is really, really clean compared to a lot of 'em. My friends and folks who've been to the far east would say that Singapore is a very clean city as well but having spent time in a lot of cities I can safely declare montreal a very clean town as far as I could tell.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Something I'm grappling with as we speak. I'll always be a Montrealer though.
You can always move to Toronto. Good economy, lots of jobs, nice neighbourhoods. Not quite as exciting as Montreal though...

"My, but wasn't that a good cheese sandwich?"

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
No player in New York complains about the taxes.

Players want to play for winners. The Rangers are always committed to winning. That's why they are always on the radar for top stars.

Montreal didn't create a winning culture for a long time. That's why they were not on a players radar. Not to mention the hype for French Canadians. The biggest name from Quebec to sign here was Danny Briere. That should tell you something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad