Proposal: Montreal/Winnipeg (Not Laine related)

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
Good. Because we have no use for him and I’m pretty sure we’d prefer to not spend the remaining of our cap for a 7th D.

Case closed

We have plenty of cap space.

We're at about 6.1M if we move Weise and Alzner to AHL. (Kulikov 4.333M - Reilly 1.5M=2.833M)

6.1M-2.833M=3.266M which would give us more than 15M at the deadline anyway

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
How about an even simpler trade

Reilly for a 5th

Reilly likely becomes a waiver casualty anyways, he wouldn't clear and this gives Winnipeg a 7th D for likely around what his worth is.

Montreal doesn't exactly need bottom 4 D, this trade doesn't really help anyone out as originally posted.

(Maybe a 4th, definitely less than a 3rd)

Then why would Winnipeg pay a 5th when they know they have a good chance to snatch him for free in two and a half week?

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Then why would Winnipeg pay a 5th when they know they have a good chance to snatch him for free in two and a half week?

I can't see Reilly getting past some of the teams that'd come before Winnipeg. Ottawa for example would be a great fit for him.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
We have plenty of cap space.

We're at about 6.1M if we move Weise and Alzner to AHL. (Kulikov 4.333M - Reilly 1.5M=2.833M)

6.1M-2.833M=3.266M which would give us more than 15M at the deadline anyway

Just because you have unused money doesn’t mean you have to spend it all. Kotkaniemi, Poehling and Suzuki are eligible for performances bonuses that will/could count toward our cap space and the return just isn’t worth it. It’s literally nothing.

I’d rather keep the money and monitor what’s going on with the teams that are over the cap for the moment, or could be soon (Calgary, Winnipeg). It’s when teams are backed up against the wall that you get the best out of a deal and Kulikov just ain’t it.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Then why are you guys so anxious to dump him for a 7-8th D when ya’ll are currently stuck with two NHL caliber LHD?

I'd say he's an okay player (fine on bottom pairing) when healthy - the only reason to "dump him" would be to free up cap space for Laine and Connor. He could then be replaced by an ELC guy like Poolman/Stanley/Nogier/etc.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Well for one you have one guy who said he would do Kulikov for Reilly straight up. Then you have another one who said there’s only a year left and he “doubt” it would take a first to move him. Then we have another guy call him a serviceable top 4?

All I said was it would take a first round pick for the Habs to take on the contract and I asked one good reason for us to accept anything less than that and I have yet to see someone offer one single good reason so far.

A good reason to accept less is because a first would not be forthcoming in any circumstance and a second or third is better than no second or third. It's all a moot point since Kulikov is not being offloaded but if he was I'd personally want Kulikov over Chariot. He's a serviceable defenceman who's had health problems.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I'd say he's an okay player (fine on bottom pairing) when healthy - the only reason to "dump him" would be to free up cap space for Laine and Connor. He could then be replaced by an ELC guy like Poolman/Stanley/Nogier/etc.

But again, who would want a fine bottom pairing D man for 4.33M? I don’t think you’d find a team willing to take that up without a good incentive

A good reason to accept less is because a first would not be forthcoming in any circumstance and a second or third is better than no second or third. It's all a moot point since Kulikov is not being offloaded but if he was I'd personally want Kulikov over Chariot. He's a serviceable defenceman who's had health problems.

There’s no point in accepting less. I personally think he’s done. He’s been injured a lot and seemed to have slowed down. Every single metrics shows that he has been struggling ever since joining Winnipeg and it’s been getting worse every year. Even his offensive stats have been subpar for three years now.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Hes better than Chiarot even when he has a back injury.
I disagree. He was worse last year when injured.

He's a significantly better player than Chiarot when healthy though. Chiarot is a #6 who was carried by Byfuglien. Kulikov is a #4 when healthy who had to play with the liability that is Tyler Myers.

It's laughable someone thinks he'd require a first to move though. But that poster has been trying to troll Jets fans lately so I wouldn't take anything they say too seriously.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I disagree. He was worse last year when injured.

He's a significantly better player than Chiarot when healthy though. Chiarot is a #6 who was carried by Byfuglien. Kulikov is a #4 when healthy who had to play with the liability that is Tyler Myers.

It's laughable someone thinks he'd require a first to move though. But that poster has been trying to troll Jets fans lately so I wouldn't take anything they say too seriously.

Why do you say I’m trolling? In my opinion, Kulikov serve no purpose to Montreal other than being a cap dump and acquiring assets with him.

Let’s play a game where Winnipeg have to move Kulikov for cap purpose after singing both Connor and Laine. Name me a team that has 1) the need for Kulikov and 2) the cap space to acquire him.

You’ll find out that there’s just no fit anywhere and while looking at team’s cap, I just can’t see a team that would be ok to go right up against the cap for a couple of mediocre assets (3rd and 6th) to help out Winnipeg and their cap situation.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Why do you say I’m trolling? In my opinion, Kulikov serve no purpose to Montreal other than being a cap dump and acquiring assets with him.

Let’s play a game where Winnipeg have to move Kulikov for cap purpose after singing both Connor and Laine. Name me a team that has 1) the need for Kulikov and 2) the cap space to acquire him.

You’ll find out that there’s just no fit anywhere and while looking at team’s cap, I just can’t see a team that would be ok to go right up against the cap for a couple of mediocre assets (3rd and 6th) to help out Winnipeg and their cap situation.

We likely wont need help if we sign Connor long term and bridge Laine. Then we just wait it out.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL

The Jets don't have to move him. That's your mistake right there. They have enough cap space. If they needed to move that salary, they could've bought him out earlier this summer.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
The Jets don't have to move him. That's your mistake right there. They have enough cap space. If they needed to move that salary, they could've bought him out earlier this summer.

Then why am I getting called a troll for asking a first to be attached with Kulikov if it comes to that? It probably won’t get to this scenario but it does it’s likely the cost and you know it

It would never come to that. Chevy will wait it out. It's more likely we move Perreault than Kulikov even if it comes to that.

I thought Perreault was a very useful player?

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Then why am I getting called a troll for asking a first to be attached with Kulikov if it comes to that? It probably won’t get to this scenario but it does it’s likely the cost and you know it

You keep asking a question that has already been answered.
These players (Kulikov and Perreault) are very useful and versatile, and by no means are they liabilities with their contracts. We don't want to move them to make the Jets a better team. But if the question is moving one of them, or moving one of Connor or Laine, the choice is obvious.

Reactions: Saitama

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
You keep asking a question that has already been answered.
These player (Kulikov and Perreault) are very useful and versatile, and by no means are they liabilities with their contracts. But if the question is moving one of them, or moving one of Connor or Laine, the choice is obvious.

Great and I agree with your statement that one of Perreault or Kulikov will move before Laine or Connor does if it comes to that.

That brings us back to the initial hypothetical scenario. Let’s say Kulikov has to be moved for whatever reason. Find me a team that has 1) the cap scape 2) the need.

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Great and I agree with your statement that one of Perreault or Kulikov will move before Laine or Connor does if it comes to that.

That brings us back to the initial hypothetical scenario. Let’s say Kulikov has to be moved for whatever reason. Find me a team that has 1) the cap scape 2) the need.

If it came down to a million or so that we needed to shore up, we could probably waive someone or trade either Perreault or Kulikov for a lesser skilled player that makes less. Some teams wouldn't want to take on a 4M cap hit, but they would take on 4M if 3M was going back the other way. These are minor exchanges, they happen all the time.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I want Juulsen to play in the AHL and I don't want a young player as the extra D right now.

Even without Juulsen, you have:

Mete - Weber
Kulak - Petry
Chiarot - Folin
Reilly

Why do we need Kulikov? Let Winnipeg fill their cap space with Connor/Laine unless they want to pay at least a 2nd for a Kulikov/Reilly+Waked swap.

I think the Canadiens would have to add in a Kulikov for Reilly swap.

No way we add to upgrade our 7/8D though.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
But again, who would want a fine bottom pairing D man for 4.33M? I don’t think you’d find a team willing to take that up without a good incentive

I'm not saying anyone would take him, I'm just answering why some Jets fans may be "anxious to dump him"

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

He is but when you have connor and laine he becomes a luxury that isnt worth keeping.

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
not on this planet. Kulikov is below replacement level. Good luck with that d core this year because yikes.

We literally had both players for 2 years, and here you're telling us which one is better after having watched exactly 0 games with Chiarot. You won't find many Jets fans who agree with you - Chiarot was certainly not the better player. He's a liability without Byfuglien, but you'll learn.

Reactions: Saitama and Snowman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad