Confirmed with Link: Montreal will not sign Vanek

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Too bad. We could've used him this year.

Anyways, we all knew he was probably a rental to begin with and who knows if this is even MB's call. Without him though, we definitely need help on the wings. Should be an interesting summer.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Despite his lack of production in the playoffs, I wasn't worried about Vanek over the next 3 years: he'll help whatever team he's on.

But during the 4th year to the end of his next contract, given his lack of speed, he could become as useless as Gomez.

Smart move for MB to pass on him.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Despite his lack of production in the playoffs, I wasn't worried about Vanek over the next 3 years: he'll help whatever team he's on.

But during the 4th year to the end of his next contract, given his lack of speed, he could become as useless as Gomez.

Smart move for MB to pass on him.

Like Markov he didnt produce using speed/skating though

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I think the title should be, Vanek will not sign in Montreal...
If he want to stay in Mtl, Mtl would take him...

If he wanted to stay in Montreal, he probably should not have dogged it in the playoffs.

im glad we signed him as a rental, gave both sides a chance to evaluate the fit. From what I saw, bon voyage.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

Not sure about that. Has skill, but was a big time plooker in the POs.

I think he's a skilled, but lazy player. Valuable, but not worth nearly $7M.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
Bergevin regarding Andrei Markov's desire to stay in Montreal being a factor in negotiations:

"Well it's huge, I mean a lot of people say things like they like Montreal and they want to stay in Montreal, but then you talk to them and you get the feeling that really isn't the case, but with Andrei, it really was the case and he proved it."

Hard to not think he's talking about Vanek there.

One day, I'll name you one of those players but I promised someone I wouldn't tell for now, at least until things settled regarding the UFA situaton.

Forlando

Nov 14, 2007
Vanek has tons of talent, but seeing him play a lot this year I realized how slow he can be...3 years down the road that's a killer (e.g. Lecavalier) and he is lookinv for a long term deal with mucho cash.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007

Why, you having a hard time believing that Bergevin doesn't like heartless, lazy, out of shape floaters?

Vanek will soon find he missed out on an opportunity not the other way around.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Bergevin already stated Vanek will not be back next year along with Murray and Parros.
Well, at least there's some good news.

Noticeably absent there though is Bouillion's name. I sincerely hope that MT isn't talking his pal Bergevin into actually re-signing that guy. It will be a massive joke if Cube is back with us AGAIN next year.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Well, at least there's some good news.

Noticeably absent there though is Bouillion's name. I sincerely hope that MT isn't talking his pal Bergevin into actually re-signing that guy. It will be a massive joke if Cube is back with us AGAIN next year.

TSN is reporting they are actually negotiating with Bouillon :facepalm:

Talks continue with three other free agents: captain Brian Gionta, and defencemen Mike Weaver and Francis Bouillon

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=455784

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Although it's curious that Murray definitely won't be back. Seems bergevin clued in to something Therrien never quite figured out.
Kind of sums up how I feel about MB. Makes some moves that are really good and then does things that make no sense whatsoever.

Re-signing Bouillion would really be a head scratcher for me. Just makes no sense at all.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
TSN is reporting they are actually negotiating with Bouillon :facepalm:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=455784

Kinda predictable. My guess he wants something like 1.5M again but Habs offering closer to minimum wage. Once UFA hits I think he'll come running back to sign since I doubt anyone else wants him. Therrien will also try his best to protect his favourites.

Gionta probably wants longterm 4-5M. I think Habs will cave on this sadly and give him it.

Weaver I'm not sure Habs sign. He might get a big contract after his playoffs.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Kinda predictable. My guess he wants something like 1.5M again but Habs offering closer to minimum wage. Once UFA hits I think he'll come running back to sign since I doubt anyone else wants him. Therrien will also try his best to protect his favourites.

Gionta probably wants longterm 4-5M. I think Habs will cave on this sadly and give him it.

Weaver I'm not sure Habs sign. He might get a big contract after his playoffs.

if gionta wants anything close to that term, thank him, shake his hand and pat him on the back as he walks out the door.

At this point gionta and longterm should not be in the same sentence. And if he wont take a dramatic hometown discount, then as much as I liked him in the past, and as much as he has provided as the teams captain, under those conditions,you gotta cut him loose.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Talks continue with three other free agents: captain Brian Gionta, and defencemen Mike Weaver and Francis Bouillon

Let them all go, three fewer smurfs is a big step in the right direction.

Vanek was a rental who played like a rental, he had nothing to prove his career stats speak for him. Therrien is not a coach Vanek could play for imho.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
if gionta wants anything close to that term, thank him, shake his hand and pat him on the back as he walks out the door.

At this point gionta and longterm should not be in the same sentence. And if he wont take a dramatic hometown discount, then as much as I liked him in the past, and as much as he has provided as the teams captain, under those conditions,you gotta cut him loose.
Yup. I'm good to have him back as a 3rd liner for a year or even two at low dollars. Other than that, thanks for your services.

And there's no way this guy should be near the PP anymore.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

Gionta is one of the top scorers available at UFA with this probably being his last significant contract. I don't think there's any doubt he's asking for more than 4M long term. Because he's the captain and there being little depth and replacement options at RW, Habs have little choice but to comply when you think about it.

I think people defending him and wanting him back are going to be really surprised how expensive he's going to be and how long he'll be signed for...

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
It's unfortunate, like him or not Vanek brought this team to the next level. I can't help myself but to think that we won't be this good until when Galchenyuk develop himself.

I wish him the best, he will definitely make his future team one step closer to the Stanley Cup.

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
Well with Vanek not being resigned and us losing a 2nd and Collberg MB must have a good idea what his plan B is.............I hope.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad