Confirmed with Link: Montreal will not sign Vanek

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Gionta is one of the top scorers available at UFA with this probably being his last significant contract. I don't think there's any doubt he's asking for more than 4M long term. Because he's the captain and there being little depth and replacement options at RW, Habs have little choice but to comply when you think about it.

I think people defending him and wanting him back are going to be really surprised how expensive he's going to be and how long he'll be signed for...

I think this speaks more to the relative weakness of this years UFA pool than a testament of his value.
When you say long term are you suggesting something in the 4-5 year range ?

I'd offer him a briere-like deal, mabey a little more than 4 but no way 5. and I like Gionta, if there are teams that will offer him a longer term deal at higher AAV, then I hope he takes it. If the changing of the guard has to happen ( and i think that Gorges is likely next in line to wear the c) then it has to happen.

and my reasons for showing him the door is not " MAOR SIZE", i'm just not sure how he fits into the puzzle going forward.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Kind of sums up how I feel about MB. Makes some moves that are really good and then does things that make no sense whatsoever.

Re-signing Bouillion would really be a head scratcher for me. Just makes no sense at all.

My guess is that they want to sign Weaver, but will consider Bouillon as a back-up plan. Problem is that Weaver is #5-6 D while Bouillon should really be a #8 D next year if he's back.

JohnnyB11

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, NB
Well with Vanek not being resigned and us losing a 2nd and Collberg MB must have a good idea what his plan B is.............I hope.

Hate this train of thought as it implies that the Habs 'gave away' those two assets for nothing.

It was a great deal, even without re-signing him. And if Price hadn't been hurt, one can only speculate but who knows how it would have ended up for us.

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
Hate this train of thought as it implies that the Habs 'gave away' those two assets for nothing.

It was a great deal, even without re-signing him. And if Price hadn't been hurt, one can only speculate but who knows how it would have ended up for us.

As a GM you better have more than one plan.......Bergevin might have pulled the trigger on Vanek even knowing he wasn't resigning with us......therefore already making plans for a replacement.

Forlando

Nov 14, 2007
Kind of sums up how I feel about MB. Makes some moves that are really good and then does things that make no sense whatsoever.

That is why he is the GM and you are here...just speculating and voicing your unprofessional (and often uninformed) opinion about the Habs...like the rest of us.

Gamimenos

Apr 28, 2009
Still one of my favorite players. My wish was to see him wear the CH and he did for a short time. Left me slightly disappointed in the playoffs but I am satisfied.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
My guess is that they want to sign Weaver, but will consider Bouillon as a back-up plan. Problem is that Weaver is #5-6 D while Bouillon should really be a #8 D next year if he's back.
Bouillion should retire. He's not an NHL calibre defenseman anymore.
That is why he is the GM and you are here...just speculating and voicing your unprofessional (and often uninformed) opinion about the Habs...like the rest of us.
Speak for yourself... if you feel that you can't comment on a GM because you're not a GM yourself, well... there's the door.

Nobody here is pretending that we have the same kind of visibility a GM does. But his job title doesn't insulate him from criticism. The fact that he's a GM doesn't mean he won't make stupid moves.

As for making mistakes... no problem. Everybody (including GMs) make them. It's the obvious mistakes that are concerning. Not signing Vanek for example? No way for us to know what's going on behind the scenes or if he even wanted to stay here. He didn't play well in the postseason so I can see us passing. Personally, I'd like to keep him but I can understand the other side of the coin and we don't know the whole story there so...

But Bouillion is a whole other story. There's no reason to re-sign this guy. I don't care what kind of leadership or friendship he provides in the room. He's a terrible defenseman. So we'll wait and see what happens here but there's no way on God's green earth that we should be even talking about bringing Cube back.

And you don't need to be a GM to see this.

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
Keeping Bouillon reminds me of all the players the Expos kept for sentimental value in their later years. Guys who played big roles on the team, but couldn't crack a major league squad once the Expos left town. I think that unlike the Expos, we have a bright future, and that we shouldn't waste a roster spot on someone because he's a good guy in the locker room and he was big for us in the past. Love Bou, but he's got no place on a stanley cup contender. Although I'd love to see him raise the cup with us, don't think it's smart.

As for Vanek, I'm bummed he'll be going, but he's never going to lead a team to the cup. I don't know who would be a good replacement, but keeping Vanek is like chasing the dragon; you see the payoff is there, but you'll never go anywhere with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad