Pre-Game Talk: Montreal vs Detroit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Both Tampa and Carolina weren't expected to win the Cup with 20 games left if I recall, they went on a tear to close out the year and carried it into the playoffs I believe. Why not us? The only thing we are missing is a big first line centre which seems to be one of the ingredients for a Cup winner. I think solid goaltending and heart could be the difference maker though for this team in the playoffs.

I hope they beat Detroit and keep the momentum going, OT would be great, go Habs!

Tampa had vinny, msl, khabby and Richards at their absolute best in the 04 playoffs. It was a pretty good team even if they weren't a top 3 cup favorite.

Carolina also had a good teaam, and they added weight and recchi at the deadline. In their case, they got really lucky in terms of the opposition suffering key injuries. They came back on Montreal after Williams knocked koivu out by sticking him in the eye. They got past buffalo in 7 games because they iced an ahl defense due to injuries. Then Edmonton lost their starting goalie in the finals, but it still took 7 games to knock them out.

The amount of stars that aligned for Carolina will be very difficult to duplicate. Its just too much to expect to go your way in one run. They were incredibly fortunate.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
Philly's Shea Weber offer sheet? Or was there a clause about his age?

Only Players 27 or with 7 seasons played in the NHL can be presented with an offer sheet. Not before. If a player doesnt play a single NHL game before December 1st they automatically lose the right to play that year. But are still RFA until they are 27 years old.

LucaGTI

Sep 28, 2012
Montreal
no GDT again ? :P alright my bold prediction...

Habs win it 4-3

Patches X 2, Vanek, Subban

Last edited:

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
The 1st game against Detroit was when the habs were going through an awful stretch, and they forgot how to play hockey. Everybody was beating Montreal back then.

Tough to guage the 2nd matchup because it was right after the Olympics...

So I really don't know what to expect for this game, other than that Montreal better be ready to match Detroit's urgency. Their playoffs have already begun.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Only Players 27 or with 7 seasons played in the NHL can be presented with an offer sheet. Not before. If a player doesnt play a single NHL game before December 1st they automatically lose the right to play that year. But are still RFA until they are 27 years old.

I was under the impression that once a player reaches 27 or has played 7 seasons in the NHL, they become a UFA rather than an RFA who can be given an offersheet.

Electric Thunder

Jul 19, 2011
Oklahoma
Wings fan coming in peace. Here's to a hopefully well-officiated game :laugh: :cheers:

I've only seen a handful of Habs game this year. Any players I should pay extra attention to?

PricePkPatch*

Wings fan coming in peace. Here's to a hopefully well-officiated game :laugh: :cheers:

I've only seen a handful of Habs game this year. Any players I should pay extra attention to?

World Peace is actually more likely than a well-officiated hockey game. But here's to good sentiments :cheers:

As to your question; we have been a rather.. spreaded bunch over the year. Subban has had incredible moments, but so has Markov. Desharnais always seems to be knocked silly, but he cranks up points with his playmaking. Patch/Vanek are our best scorers.

Recently, Bourque has been on a roll. So.. he's the long bet.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013

Galchenyuk and Subban can really wow you from time to time. Look for Gallagher to be in the paint all game.

Looking forward to seeing Gus Nyquist. He was exciting to watch last year in the playoff.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
@mckennaconor:
"It's always a possibility. " Bergevin on potential Subban offer sheet. #habson690

@mckennaconor:
Bergevin says Therrien has made Subban a better player. What do you think? #habson690

@ArponBasu:
"Brian Gionta, if you put a value on a player's character and leadership, this guy's off the charts" - Marc Bergevin

@BWildeCTV:
Huge praise for Brian Gionta. Massive. Glowing. Enormous praise. Bergevin loves his captain. #habs

I'm scared... very scared. :help:

deleted

Last edited:

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
@mckennaconor:
"It's always a possibility. " Bergevin on potential Subban offer sheet. #habson690

@mckennaconor:
Bergevin says Therrien has made Subban a better player. What do you think? #habson690

@ArponBasu:
"Brian Gionta, if you put a value on a player's character and leadership, this guy's off the charts" - Marc Bergevin

@BWildeCTV:
Huge praise for Brian Gionta. Massive. Glowing. Enormous praise. Bergevin loves his captain. #habs

I'm scared... very scared. :help:

Therrien made Subban a better person too. He isn't just a hockey coach, he is a coach of your soul

PricePkPatch*

Win/Win

Habs win, they win. If they lose, Leafs fans rage. :laugh:

A lost is a lost is a lost

I don't care about Schadenfreud for the freakkin' Leafs. That's cream on top of the cake. It's meaningless without the cake.

FisherKing

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Habs have not proven that they can play with Detroit for whatever reason. They need to beat them simply for their own confidence. Not sure why we don't match up well against them. They are not faster, their goaltending is not better. Habs need this game for many reasons including proven to themselves they can beat these guys.

Perhaps this is not a great mystery. The answer might be behind the bench? Just a thought...

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

The usual suspects- Pacioretty, Price and Subban.
Good chemistry with the Vanek line being developed.
Emelin has looked good for about a month. Seems to have turned the corner a bit after his injury.
The entire Habs 4 line is on IR, that hurts.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
I expect Habs to lose. Wings outplayed us in both games and now they are desperate and fighting for a spot. Even though they have countless injuries and should have been out of it by now they are still a great skating team. I don't know how many interviews I've heard Babcock preach skating and how that's the first think they look at when they draft. And it really shows, all the kids they bring up from Grand Rapids are fast and excellent skaters. Even with all the injuries they can still keep up with anybody.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
The amount of stars that aligned for Carolina will be very difficult to duplicate. Its just too much to expect to go your way in one run. They were incredibly fortunate.

It was also the power-playoffs that year coming out of the lockout with the new rules.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
I expect Habs to lose. Wings outplayed us in both games and now they are desperate and fighting for a spot. Even though they have countless injuries and should have been out of it by now they are still a great skating team. I don't know how many interviews I've heard Babcock preach skating and how that's the first think they look at when they draft. And it really shows, all the kids they bring up from Grand Rapids are fast and excellent skaters. Even with all the injuries they can still keep up with anybody.

You get that kind of negative attitude out of here. Habs have got this :yo:

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
[nhl]583871[/nhl]

Eller looks sad. :(

I hate baseless speculation like this. No he doesn't look sad. He's always been as calm, gentle, and soft-speaker. He doesn't look as "happy" as Subban, but that's because Subban's personality and style of speech is just different from his.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad