OT: Montreal style pizza in Toronto?

Boardish

Mar 3, 2004
And now for something completely different: Japanese pizza!

minidog_pizza.jpg

Just like Korean "pizza". Corn everywhere!

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
Go to Miss Jean-Talon Pizza or to B&M for a refresher then off to Toronto you go to find Montreal style pizza - good luck
I haven't checked lately but maybe on the danforth

68*

So far? No one knows! Apparently it has a "dough ball" in the center. That's all I got.

Ah. The only pizza that I ordered that came with a dough ball in the center was from Chez La Mère and that was disgusting.

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Years ago I remember a place called Joanne's Pizza in Hamilton. It had better Chicago style pizza than anything I've ever had in Chicago. If you could eat more than 2 slices you were a hero.

I looked it up a couple years ago and I don't seem to be able find it. Must have closed shop.

Chicago Style Pizza Shack in Hamilton. Mmmmm

DenverHabsFan

Sep 9, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Of course, when it comes to food, everything is a matter of preference.

I've had a chance to live near NYC for several years and also close to one of the most famous deep dish places near Chicago. For me, NY style is the best. Deep dish is WAY too heavy. We would go there for lunch and go back to work and were ready to pass out. Eating pizza with a knife and fork is just plain weird.

Nothing beats going to Times Square, pick a random pizza counter and eat the most perfect slice of pizza crafted by a hairy vocal Italian. You see him go back and forth between handling cash and dough without gloves but you know that wood fired oven will kill the bacteria and burn the occasional fallen hair. :laugh:

Second favorite for me is Normandin. Their meats are just delicious. I remember when I first moved to the US and asking for an "all dressed" pizza and getting that Wtf? look. Priceless.

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
Of course, when it comes to food, everything is a matter of preference.

I've had a chance to live near NYC for several years and also close to one of the most famous deep dish places near Chicago. For me, NY style is the best. Deep dish is WAY too heavy. We would go there for lunch and go back to work and were ready to pass out. Eating pizza with a knife and fork is just plain weird.

Nothing beats going to Times Square, pick a random pizza counter and eat the most perfect slice of pizza crafted by a hairy vocal Italian. You see him go back and forth between handling cash and dough without gloves but you know that wood fired oven will kill the bacteria and burn the occasional fallen hair. :laugh:

Second favorite for me is Normandin. Their meats are just delicious. I remember when I first moved to the US and asking for an "all dressed" pizza and getting that Wtf? look. Priceless.

sicilian slice from uptown pizza is probably my fav pizza in Namerica - i even know some places in Hoboken :shakehead

they have garlic knots too :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Ah. The only pizza that I ordered that came with a dough ball in the center was from Chez La Mère and that was disgusting.

I wouldn't buy toilet paper, let alone a pizza, from a place named Chez La Mère. Is there an Italian population in Montreal? If not, you need get them there STAT!!!

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
Hate to tell you but Montreal style pizza originated in Greek joints like Pendeli's and not italian joints

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Hate to tell you but Montreal style pizza originated in Greek joints like Pendeli's and not italian joints

Is pendelis montreal style now ?

Wtf is Montreal style pizza ? There's nothing that defines it :laugh:

Greasy, steamy, thick, too much toppings aside from the All dress/PEP and a dough ball ? Is that good enough ? If so, then yes. A lot of greek restaurants have this style of pizza.

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
Is pendelis montreal style now ?

Wtf is Montreal style pizza ? There's nothing that defines it :laugh:

Greasy, steamy, thick, too much toppings aside from the All dress/PEP and a dough ball ? Is that good enough ? If so, then yes. A lot of greek restaurants have this style of pizza.

Yes, cuz you don't know it it doesnt exist? bwahahahaha
move to Toronto so the two centers of the universe can come together

There is, or I should say "was" such a thing as Montreal style pizza
Unfortunately, its been bastardized in the name of profits and chains
Real mozarella has been pushed aside by pizza topping, proper pepperoni is almost a distant memory now replaced by homogenous gloop called pizza pepperoni. Even the sauce today is not cooked until put on the dough. All this a far cry from what pizza used to be around here.
Montreal pizza is:
one of the few places in North America where the cheese is on top of the other toppings
where the sauce is pre-cooked with a plethora of herbs not just garlic
Where new milano pepperoni was the pepperoni of choice
where real north american mozzarella was used not this crap they use today
where the dough was just thick enough to support the abundance of toppings found under the cheese
where the dough ball in the middle was used to keep the cheese from sticking to the cardboard box (btw don't eat that thing cuz most places pre-make them sometimes 2 weeks in advance, but they get soft and moist due to the heat and moisture coming off of the pizza)
where the mushrooms are always fresh not out of a can like 1/2 the 'merican pizza i've had
I can go on but I feel that this is already too much for you to digest :help:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I may make it out to Danforth Pizza tomorrow sometime... I'll report my findings back to the group.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
I may make it out to Danforth Pizza tomorrow sometime... I'll report my findings back to the group.

This was my first time opening this thread and I was going to search for a mention of Danforth Pizza and post it if there was none.

It definitely meets the criteria for Montreal pizza, this coming from someone who's lived on the east end of Toronto his entire life and been to Danforth Pizza countless times :nod:

here's one of their mushroom and pepperoni pies:
348s.jpg

only negative with this place is they don't do slices and are cash only

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
This was my first time opening this thread and I was going to search for a mention of Danforth Pizza and post it if there was none.

It definitely meets the criteria for Montreal pizza, this coming from someone who's lived on the east end of Toronto his entire life and been to Danforth Pizza countless times :nod:
WHY THE HELL DIDN'T YOU POST IN THIS THREAD THREE YEARS AGO????! :laugh:

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
Well I have no idea what people would consider 'the real deal'. I've been to Montreal a dozen times for 3-5 days at a time and had lots of pizza...it's similar! It's good, regardless of what you want to call it.

The place recently changed hands from the original owner to his sons/daughters/etc... so the product is improving IMO

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Well I have no idea what people would consider 'the real deal'. I've been to Montreal a dozen times for 3-5 days at a time and had lots of pizza...it's similar! It's good, regardless of what you want to call it.

The place recently changed hands from the original owner to his sons/daughters/etc... so the product is improving IMO
It's "improving"... uh, oh. So it's not what it used to be? When did it start to change?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yes, cuz you don't know it it doesnt exist? bwahahahaha
move to Toronto so the two centers of the universe can come together

There is, or I should say "was" such a thing as Montreal style pizza
Unfortunately, its been bastardized in the name of profits and chains
Real mozarella has been pushed aside by pizza topping, proper pepperoni is almost a distant memory now replaced by homogenous gloop called pizza pepperoni. Even the sauce today is not cooked until put on the dough. All this a far cry from what pizza used to be around here.
Montreal pizza is:
one of the few places in North America where the cheese is on top of the other toppings
where the sauce is pre-cooked with a plethora of herbs not just garlic
Where new milano pepperoni was the pepperoni of choice
where real north american mozzarella was used not this crap they use today
where the dough was just thick enough to support the abundance of toppings found under the cheese
where the dough ball in the middle was used to keep the cheese from sticking to the cardboard box (btw don't eat that thing cuz most places pre-make them sometimes 2 weeks in advance, but they get soft and moist due to the heat and moisture coming off of the pizza)
where the mushrooms are always fresh not out of a can like 1/2 the 'merican pizza i've had
I can go on but I feel that this is already too much for you to digest :help:

I don't understand the first part of your post. Whatever.

Also, this seems directed towards Pizza hut, Pizza pizza, double pizza and the likes. Obviously this isn't good pizza... Get out and eat in real Pizza places.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad