OT: Montreal style pizza in Toronto?

JayBee*

you haven't experienced pizza until you've been to chicago

That's what I heard...Chicago pizza seems to be of the deep dish variety with a lot of crust. If so, I probably won't like it.

Pizza in Boston is absolutely atrocious. Had pizza at about 4 different places and all were bad.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
That's what I heard...Chicago pizza seems to be of the deep dish variety with a lot of crust. If so, I probably won't like it.

Pizza in Boston is absolutely atrocious. Had pizza at about 4 different places and all were bad.

that's why they call it 'chicago deep dish'. :help:

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW

lots of cheese... no sauce.

if this was a trolling thread, pretty good job.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
which city makes pizza with lots of cheese and lots of sauce?

I never understood the almost no sauce pizza attraction

dre2112

Jul 17, 2007
US and A
When you order an "all dressed" pizza and it only comes with peperoni, green pepper and mushroom it's a Montreal style pizza.

I dunno what it is about the montreal style pizzas. They're pretty plain but they're not like pizzas anywhere else in Canada. Also notice that a lot of the pizza places in Montreal are "2 for 1" or a similar concept to that, as far as name and pricing goes too?

Simple pizza, simple crust and toppings and cheap prices but great bang for your buck! I guess that's the best way to describe a Montreal style pizza

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
When you order an "all dressed" pizza and it only comes with peperoni, green pepper and mushroom it's a Montreal style pizza.

I dunno what it is about the montreal style pizzas. They're pretty plain but they're not like pizzas anywhere else in Canada. Also notice that a lot of the pizza places in Montreal are "2 for 1" or a similar concept to that, as far as name and pricing goes too?

Simple pizza, simple crust and toppings and cheap prices but great bang for your buck! I guess that's the best way to describe a Montreal style pizza

2 for 1 places aren't what I call mtl style pizza ...

pendeli.jpg

That's more Montreal ... and there's very little sauce underneath the cheese

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
you haven't experienced pizza until you've been to chicago

Years ago I remember a place called Joanne's Pizza in Hamilton. It had better Chicago style pizza than anything I've ever had in Chicago. If you could eat more than 2 slices you were a hero.

I looked it up a couple years ago and I don't seem to be able find it. Must have closed shop.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Montreal Style Pizza

Years ago - in the 1960's, Montreal Style Pizza meant the cheese was put on last, on top covering all the other ingredients with the result that the sausage, mushrooms and green peppers stayed juicy.This was the standard all dressed. Elsewhere, the ingredients would go on top with the result that they would be much dryer upon coming out of the oven.The norm in Ontario.

BTW in other cities - New York, Boston the norm was tomato sauce and cheese or tomato sauce, pepperoni and cheese on either a thin medium or deep dish crust. Some places would sprinkle oregano or other spices.

The other ingredients - various meats, veggies, seafood, etc started in the seventies.

JayBee*

ten years a live here and i'm still looking for it...

At least you feel my pain and understand what I'm talking about. And what someone said above is right....they put the cheese on top of everything....I love that.

Riot55

Feb 3, 2008
Been living in Ontario now for 13 years and the 1 thing I miss the most about Quebec is the food, especially the pizza. I havent found anything close so far here.
Theres a little place in Ormstown quebec called the Caza the pizza there is amazing. Since I know the owner well when I go back and visit I order 5 pizzas the day before I leave, he makes them for me and instead of cooking them he freezes them.
This is the only way I found to get Montreal pizza in Ontario. :)

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
If you guys are ever coming down to see the habs in detroit stop in Windsor for our pizza. Seriously we are world renown(almost) for it.
I have only heard complaints from 2 guys from halifaz that said their lebanese style pizza was better than the Italian style in Windsor.
There are many different places and kinds here, but you almost cant go wrong.

When I go visiting I bring Pizza to my friends in Toronto and Calgary. They would Rather have a 4-8 hour cold pizza from our city than anything from where they are at.

The Bernie Federko

Dec 7, 2009
There's no such thing as 'Montreal style pizza'. Unless of course you're referring to the '69 cent' or '99 cent' crap pizza from back in the day...

What's wrong with Momma's, Amato, Pizzaiolo or even Pizza Nova? They all make a fine slice. Better than anything Montreal has to offer!

Turboflex*

I had Pizza Novo when I was in tdot for a funeral a few weeks ago, it was crap. Momma's too, bad.

I dont think there's anything special about Montreal pizza besides "all dressed" being a default on any menu. Montreal, pizza is fairly mediocre. I find most local pizza here use cheap ingrediants, low quality cheese (wayyyy too much salt in cheese & crust), too much garlic in sauce.

Only a few really good pizza places here, il focalaio downtown, pizza primo in ndg, i dunno much about other areas further out.

Not surprised the pizza in Boston is crap, last time I was in the Maritimes it was awful pizza. Had some really good Pizza in Burlington, VT tho.

IRON JELLY*

Pizza is definitely one of the things I miss most since moving to Ontario. Everything I've tried here pales in comparison.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad