OT: Montreal style pizza in Toronto?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I live right in that area now. I tried to locate the restaurant, but apparently it is out of business now? Replaced by a Pizza Depot? 2165 Grosvenor, is that the right place?
Give Halifax Donnair in Milton a shot. Not the real deal though... doesn't have those big pepperonis. Good pizza though.

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Give Halifax Donnair in Milton a shot. Not the real deal though... doesn't have those big pepperonis. Good pizza though.

I have to ask, do you know anywhere in the area to get decent poutine? The only place I know in Oakville is Mo's Family Diner on Speers. They use cheese curds and fresh cut fries, though the gravy sucks and it seems like they haven't changed the frying oil in years.

Where do you go?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I have to ask, do you know anywhere in the area to get decent poutine? The only place I know in Oakville is Mo's Family Diner on Speers. They use cheese curds and fresh cut fries, though the gravy sucks and it seems like they haven't changed the frying oil in years.

Where do you go?
I've never been a poutine guy (thank God 'cause I eat poorly as it is) but the Halifax Donnair place is supposed to be fantastic for that as well.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'm sorry, what?!? You name yourself after the best poutine chain in existence and you're not a poutine guy?
The more I post on this site, the less credibility I gain with my audience. :laugh:

I went to the ski hills back in the day and used to have the fries with gravy all the time. I ate too much of it and just lost the taste for it. Thank God.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
I hate St. Urbain bagel. I would buy them fresh out of the oven, still warm. By the time I got home (Bremner and Spadina, a 5 minute drive on a weekend) they were hard as a rock. It happened on more than one occasion. Oddly though, my wife's employer orders St. Urbain bagels for the entire firm on Fridays. Every once in a while she would bring me one home at the end of the day and they were still soft. Weird.

That is very, very weird. I buy them from a cafe in the beach that sells them (likely has them shipped each morning) and they're soft for days.

Maybe you excite the bagels somehow? :laugh:

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
I'm going to have Miss Jean Talon pizza again tonight. That is some mmm mmm good ol' dirty sloppy greek moustache greacy hairy chest big belly pizza.. deeelicious

Of course, I could always try Manzos in Lasalle. I hear that place wins awards..

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I still ride hard for Gigi in Pointe Claire. Go there pretty much every day when I'm house-sitting for my parents.

That brings me back to the days of Gigis on Gouin Blvd. (I think in Roxborro?). They'd make the pizza with what seemed like a brick of cheese. You know you're getting awesome pizza when the box almost collapses from the grease. :naughty:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Okay dropped by danforth today... it's not really Montreal pizza but it's easily the best I've had in the city. Halifax Donnair would be similar.

I'll go back - next time I'll order double cheese because that was probably the main difference. Also, pepperoni's aren't the big ones that you get in Montreal. Crust was thicker than in Montreal as well.

Still, it was damn good. At least it will tide me over going forward...

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
QJLufb9.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad