Proposal: Montreal / San Jose

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Because it seems like Bergevin has no long term plan to stay as the Canadiens GM. He should just go all in so how about:

Galchenyuk
Vs
Thornton

Thornton fill the bill on what the Canadiens are looking for. Good leader. Veteran. He is big and skilled. He has a good reputation.

Galchenyuk is too risky offensively and it's obvious the GM / Coaching staff are averse to that.

So what do you think?

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
San Jose wouldn't accept that. They are competing now. While Galchenyuk is a great young talent, Thornton is easily a top 5-10 center in the league. I know that everyone is going to disagree but he dominated this year.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
I would do this, but I don't think Thornton would waive and I don't think he speaks French.

Thornton would blow up at the media, I would feel bad for him.

dream43

Nov 19, 2013
If I am San Jose I would take that and Run so fast that Usain Bolt wouldn't catch up to me however I seriously doubt that Marc Bergvin wants to look stupid twice in one day...

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
Thornton may have been born during the Civil War but he was 2nd team All-Star last season and finished 5th in both Hart and Selke voting. His team just went on their very first run to the Stanley Cup finals in their quarter century history. Explain why, instead of using the very last of Thornton's productive years to push for a Cup they trade him to a team that missed the playoffs last year and has a fan base that hates his guts.

Value wise, in a vacuum, it's obviously lopsided in San José's favor but this is the real world.

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
San Jose wouldn't accept that. They are competing now. While Galchenyuk is a great young talent, Thornton is easily a top 5-10 center in the league. I know that everyone is going to disagree but he dominated this year.

Well you have one thing right in your post...everyone will disagree with you.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Well you have one thing right in your post...everyone will disagree with you.

"San Jose wouldn't accept that". Arguable
"They are competing now." True
"While Galchenyuk is a great young talent" True
"Thornton is easily a top 5-10 center in the league." Arguable
"I know that everyone is going to disagree but he dominated this year." True

Not sure your post makes any sense....

In terms of the two arguable piece:
Which 10 centers put up a better year than Thornton?
Would the aging sharks trade Thornton for a lesser (if not more valuable) piece? I highly doubt it.

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
Be real now.
If the Habs offered up Chucky for Thornton ,Doug Wilson would personally fly Thornton to Montreal faster than you could blink.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Be real now.
If the Habs offered up Chucky for Thornton ,Doug Wilson would personally fly Thornton to Montreal faster than you could blink.

Probably would but it's not his choice. Thornton wouldn't waive for Montreal. Not a chance in hell of that happening which is why this thread is pointless.

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
Not a chance in hell that Thornton would waive for a team like Montreal. He wants to win a cup not sit through a rebuild.

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
Not a chance in hell that Thornton would waive for a team like Montreal. He wants to win a cup not sit through a rebuild.

Well as we seen it's not going to be with the Sharks.

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
Probably would but it's not his choice. Thornton wouldn't waive for Montreal. Not a chance in hell of that happening which is why this thread is pointless.

Well that's great for us not so much you guys.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Galchenyuk for Thornton, Gallagher for Marleau, Sergachev for Martin = Bergevin's dream team assembled.

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Well that's great for us not so much you guys.

It's pretty great for us since he gives the team a better chance of winning the Cup than Galchenyuk does right now. And lol at the thought that because they came within two wins of a Cup and lost that it means it can't happen in San Jose. How ridiculous a notion.

DuckEatinShark

GET ALL THE PPs!!!!
Jul 20, 2009
San Jose
No chance Thornton waives for MTL. If he wants to win a Cup, he'd stay here in SJ, where we've just got to the SC Finals. Montreal is not a contender even with Thornton.

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
No chance Thornton waives for MTL. If he wants to win a Cup, he'd stay here in SJ, where we've just got to the SC Finals. Montreal is not a contender even with Thornton.

Everything possible went right for the Sharks and the still were taken apart in the finals.Everything won't go so good next season.
People must be on cloud nine to think that Thornton would get Chucky.
That's a lot of wishful thinking.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Big talk for a fan of a team that just traded a top-5 D in the whole NHL for a defenseman that Thornton murdered this past spring.

dc9XDbM.gif

Last edited:

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
Big talk for a fan of a team that just traded a top-5 D in the whole NHL for a defenseman that Thornton murdered this past spring.

You mean that guy that got those 3 assist in the 6 games in the finals.
He surely helped his team when it counted.
Whether Thornton was willing to come to Montreal or not there's no chance that the Habs would trade Chucky straight up for him.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
You mean that guy that got those 3 assist in the 6 games in the finals.
He surely helped his team when it counted.
Whether Thornton was willing to come to Montreal or not there's no chance that the Habs would trade Chucky straight up for him.

At this point, I wouldn't put any form of stupidity past Marc Bergevin. The guy is in a class by himself when it comes to idiotic moves.

DuckEatinShark

GET ALL THE PPs!!!!
Jul 20, 2009
San Jose
Everything possible went right for the Sharks and the still were taken apart in the finals.Everything won't go so good next season.
People must be on cloud nine to think that Thornton would get Chucky.
That's a lot of wishful thinking.

That's good to know but it still doesn't address my point. The point is Thornton won't waive for MTL and that SJ is looking to win with the better player NOW, which is Thornton.

Does Chucky have more value now? Sure he does, because he's younger. But that's not the direction we should go right now.

Thornton has a better chance to win it here than in MTL. We just went to a Cup Final and got taken apart once Hertl went down for good. What makes you think he has a better chance with you guys than with us? What position are you guys better than us at, besides starting goalie?

Leaving SJ for MTL would be a huge downgrade for Joe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad