Proposal: Montreal / San Jose

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
You mean that guy that got those 3 assist in the 6 games in the finals.
He surely helped his team when it counted.

Weber had 2 points and was a -5 against the Sharks in a 7 game series.
He surely helped his team when it counted.

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
That's good to know but it still doesn't address my point. The point is Thornton won't waive for MTL and that SJ is looking to win with the better player NOW, which is Thornton.

Does Chucky have more value now? Sure he does, because he's younger. But that's not the direction we should go right now.

Thornton has a better chance to win it here than in MTL. We just went to a Cup Final and got taken apart once Hertl went down for good. What makes you think he has a better chance with you guys than with us? What position are you guys better than us at, besides starting goalie?

Leaving SJ for MTL would be a huge downgrade for Joe.

And a huge downgrade for us also.

You keep your 36 yr old 19 goal scorer and we will keep our 22 yr old scorer.While one is near the end of his career the other is just starting and i wouldn't be surprise if Chucky overtakes Thornton as early as this upcoming season

Last edited:

DuckEatinShark

GET ALL THE PPs!!!!
Jul 20, 2009
San Jose

You keep your 36 yr old 19 goal scorer and we will keep our 22 yr old scorer.While one is near the end of his career the other is just starting and i wouldn't be surprise if Chucky overtakes Thornton as early as this upcoming season

Awesome, since it wasn't a Sharks fan that proposed trading Thornton away.

Judging Thornton by his goal-scoring shows how little you know about Joe, since he was never a true goal-scorer. But hey, I guess we have no choice but to keep our PPG offensive catalyst. Aw shucks.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

:laugh: you think Galchenyuk is going to overtake Thornton next year? :laugh: there's a reason why you're the only one arguing. Thornton was definitely a top 3 team on a Stanley cup finalist. Galchenyuk was barely top 5 on a lottery team.

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR

Thornton was a 2nd team All-Star, 5th in Hart voting, and 5th in Selke voting last year.

"Chucky" is a great young player but Thornton is still dominant.

Again, value goes to Galchenyuk due to his young age but in the real world this doesn't work.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
dc9XDbM.gif

I'm literally crying

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
1. Thornton would never waive to join that sinking ship in Montreal

2. The only player the Sharks could use you just traded away for a declining former superstar.

The Sharks wouldn't give you Thornton if you offered Price+Pacioretty in return.

enjoy the division cellar for the next 10 years.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose

>he thinks Thornton is a goal scorer.

Girls.png

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013

Goals are definitely the defining metric Joe Thornton's game. I'm glad you pointed that out.

And you know what's even funnier? I never heard this 'goals>everything' argument when you refused to entertain the idea of trading Eller for Simmonds.

Last edited:

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
1. Thornton would never waive to join that sinking ship in Montreal

2. The only player the Sharks could use you just traded away for a declining former superstar.

The Sharks wouldn't give you Thornton if you offered Price+Pacioretty in return.

enjoy the division cellar for the next 10 years.

1. Like it or not, but Mtl is a healthy Price away from being a contender.

2. As a habs fan, I don't hate this trade. Subban was a flashy and exiting player to watch, but as a hockey fan I prefer Weber.

3. Don't be silly, 29 teams out of 29 would take Galchenyuk over Thornton, even in SJ's current situation. Pac + Price for Thornton, the hell is that, do you know something about hockey or you're just plain emotionnal on this one?

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
1. Like it or not, but Mtl is a healthy Price away from being a contender.

2. As a habs fan, I don't hate this trade. Subban was a flashy and exiting player to watch, but as a hockey fan I prefer Weber.

The Habs are so so so so far away from being contenders it wouldn't even be funny if not for my extreme dislike of Habs fans being stoked by certain posters.

Galchenyuk may have more trade value but at the end of the day, Alex Galchenyk will never, ever, ever be as good as Joe Thornton is at age 36, and that's the end of that.

Anyway, have fun with Weber... See if you still prefer him to Subban by November. :laugh: Dude is cooked.

:laugh: Aww, I'm blushing.

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
The Habs are so so so so far away from being contenders it wouldn't even be funny if not for my extreme dislike of Habs fans being stoked by certain posters.

Galchenyuk may have more trade value but at the end of the day, Alex Galchenyk will never, ever, ever be as good as Joe Thornton is at age 36, and that's the end of that.

Anyway, have fun with Weber... See if you still prefer him to Subban by November. :laugh: Dude is cooked.

:laugh: Aww, I'm blushing.

While it's still a small samplem remember the first 15-20 games of the last season, when Price was healthy. Habs killed the league totally, so to say that the team's sooooo far away is forgetting stuff to satisfy your hate ;)

About Weber, I can't wait to see how things are gonna go turn out, he's going to explode bodies here in the east

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
While it's still a small samplem remember the first 15-20 games of the last season, when Price was healthy. Habs killed the league totally, so to say that the team's sooooo far away is forgetting stuff to satisfy your hate ;)

About Weber, I can't wait to see how things are gonna go turn out, he's going to explode bodies here in the east

15 games... Yeah, the Arizona Coyotes were in a playoff spot for like 35 games. I have the Habs down for a top-5 pick next summer. :laugh: You guys have no #1C and no #1D or #2D, but good luck with that!

But yeah, if you care about "exploding bodies" (if he's fast enough to catch them!) more than actually being good at hockey, then you'll love Weber! Take this from a fan of a team who plays the Preds half a dozen times a year and just came off a 7 game series against them in which Weber was pure garbage.

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
Awesome, since it wasn't a Sharks fan that proposed trading Thornton away.

Judging Thornton by his goal-scoring shows how little you know about Joe, since he was never a true goal-scorer. But hey, I guess we have no choice but to keep our PPG offensive catalyst. Aw shucks.

I'm pretty sure the OP is still mad about the Subban /Webber trade so decided to make what he thinks is another totally lopsided trade in favor of another team.

Maybe the op should have put a :sarcasm: at the end of his post.
Most hockey fans would cringe at the thought of giving up Galchenyuk for Thornton except for Shark fans it seems.:laugh:

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
15 games... Yeah, the Arizona Coyotes were in a playoff spot for like 35 games. I have the Habs down for a top-5 pick next summer. :laugh: You guys have no #1C and no #1D or #2D, but good luck with that!

But yeah, if you care about "exploding bodies" (if he's fast enough to catch them!) more than actually being good at hockey, then you'll love Weber! Take this from a fan of a team who plays the Preds half a dozen times a year and just came off a 7 game series against them in which Weber was pure garbage.

Come on man! The Coyotes didn't lose their best player, which is the best goalie in the world, for nearly all season long. And saying that Weber is not even a #2D, that's crazy talk...ask that to team Canada who didn't even pick Subban for the WC.

I really like Subban, but he has his issues too. Take this from a Mtl fan who watched him play all his games.

On the topic, you probably never watched Galchenyuk play to think he's not #1C material

CharlesHabsFan

Jun 28, 2012
Sherbrooke, QC
As much as the Subban trade, this one is very debatable ...

Once the dust has settled (which took a heck of a while yesterday), it's a much closer deal than people led on, clouded by feelings (very understandable ones). Is the Canadiens a better team right now ? It's somewhat a lateral move on the ice. But off the ice, I'm pretty sure Subban was getting on many teammates' nerves lately, while Weber is a true positive leader that will help others around him grow.

Hockey wise, Weber is older and his contract is heavier, many would argue that PK is the better defenseman. But to me, as elite as Subban was to us, he was a flashy offense defenseman that could cost us big. Weber is a very highly skilled overall defenseman. He's less fluid on the ice as Subban, but brings physicality, goal scoaring, more intelligent PP time and good defense skills (except on fast transitions). He was a big factor in front of Price in Sotchi, I hope that this goes on. If Sergachev is NHL ready, I feel much more comfortable with him top pairing Weber than Subban. And maybe that's already the Canadiens' plan and they feel that they take less of a risk to try their new gems together. Weber helped Josi afterall, even if Josi passed him ultimately. So maybe they want Weber to mentor Sergachev.

Now to this proposal, that's about the same I would feel if it were to come down. I'd be just as angry, if not more, because it would be even crazier from our GM. Weber is 31, Subban 27. But Thornton is 36, Galchenyuk is 22... That would be the ultimate dumb move to make.

Joe Thornto to me is quite ahead of Galchenyuk at the moment. I watched the Sharks closely during the playoffs, the only team that I actually took the time to watch. Big Joe still has quite some good hockey left in him despite his age. Galchenyuk is still only reaching to that level of play and that happened only at the end of the season (when our dumb coach finally started to use him as he should have had from the get go...)

So if we traded Thornton for Galchenyuk, a bit like the Subban/Weber trade, we'd be winning in the short term. Maybe the very short term... Weber could still have 10 good years ahead. Realistically, he probably has 5 or 6. But Thornton for Galchenyuk, Thornton realistically still has 3 or 4 years, while Galchenyuk would be... a good 15 years + playing great hockey and only improving.

So let's not get into ridiculous bashing further more, this is really not the time to do so. Habs fans are bitter, no need to hit someone down honestly. It's not that dumb of a proposal... But none of the Sharks or Canadiens should be doing this trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->