Proposal: Montreal / San Jose

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Thornton just averaged a ppg, had 21 in 24 playoff games, finished 2nd team all-star and 5th in Hart and Selke. Not only can he still play but he wants to stay in San Jose. Sharks and Thornton pass at this time.

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
Doesn't makes sense for either team. Sharks just made SCF, they aren't losing any essential pieces from that team, so certainly they intend to make another run. They aren't going to significantly downgrade their #1 C. If Sharks had missed the playoffs last year, sure there would be more focus on the long term, but winning a cup now is the goal.

The Canadiens are not a contender. They have more work to go to build that team into one, and keeping a young developing center while they build would be the right course of action in their position.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Everything possible went right for the Sharks and the still were taken apart in the finals.Everything won't go so good next season.
People must be on cloud nine to think that Thornton would get Chucky.
That's a lot of wishful thinking.

Can you elaborate on that? We had to win 3 series to get where we did. Its little to do with everything going right and more to do with us playing better than the teams we faced. The same reason why we lost to the Pens. They played better than we did.

This trade just makes no sense for either team.

Montreal is going younger and rebuilding on the fly while still trying to be competitive. Galchenyuk is a key piece in that process.

Sharks just made it to the SC finals. Thornton was PPG for the season and really good in the playoffs. No offense to Montreal but I am fairly sure Thornton feels more confident of another good playoff run here than waive his NMC to go to Montreal.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I'm really sick of Habs/other fans presuming that Sharks fans don't know that Galchenyuk has more trade value in a vacuum. If I had no soul, I would trade Thornton for Galchenyuk in a heartbeat. However, imagine you have a big #1C. He's a future Hall of Famer, he's one of if not the best playmaker of all time. He was voted the 2nd best center this past season in the entire NHL at the age of 36. He is beloved by Sharks fans, just beloved. You're coming off a season in which you made it to game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals. You're bringing back essentially the same roster next year while the rest of your division is getting worse (Edmonton/Hall trade, LA/losing Lucic, Anaheim/hiring Carlyle, and a big LOL at the rest of the division). The Hawks are getting worse, the Blues are getting worse, the Stars are getting worse. You know next year is your last run at a Cup with said beloved #1C.

If you think any GM would trade that player for a worse (albeit much younger) player, then you're nuts, never mind convincing Thornton to waive. I love Galchenyuk, I think very highly of him and would love to have him on the Sharks any day of the week. But Galchenyuk is a #1C in the same way Hertl is a #1C: has the potential, scores at a high level in a more limited role, and has shown flashes of dominance. But neither will ever, ever, ever be as good as 36 year old Joe Thornton is right now. Personally, I desperately want to win a Cup with Joe Thornton. Winning a Cup without him would be incredible, no doubt, but it would ring hollow. I think most Sharks fans feel the same way, and that's why you're seeing the responses you're seeing.

druncan

Mar 8, 2006
the city
I'm really sick of Habs/other fans presuming that Sharks fans don't know that Galchenyuk has more trade value in a vacuum. If I had no soul, I would trade Thornton for Galchenyuk in a heartbeat. However, imagine you have a big #1C. He's a future Hall of Famer, he's one of if not the best playmaker of all time. He was voted the 2nd best center this past season in the entire NHL at the age of 36. He is beloved by Sharks fans, just beloved. You're coming off a season in which you made it to game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals. You're bringing back essentially the same roster next year while the rest of your division is getting worse (Edmonton/Hall trade, LA/losing Lucic, Anaheim/hiring Carlyle, and a big LOL at the rest of the division). The Hawks are getting worse, the Blues are getting worse, the Stars are getting worse. You know next year is your last run at a Cup with said beloved #1C.

If you think any GM would trade that player for a worse (albeit much younger) player, then you're nuts, never mind convincing Thornton to waive. I love Galchenyuk, I think very highly of him and would love to have him on the Sharks any day of the week. But Galchenyuk is a #1C in the same way Hertl is a #1C: has the potential, scores at a high level in a more limited role, and has shown flashes of dominance. But neither will ever, ever, ever be as good as 36 year old Joe Thornton is right now. Personally, I desperately want to win a Cup with Joe Thornton. Winning a Cup without him would be incredible, no doubt, but it would ring hollow. I think most Sharks fans feel the same way, and that's why you're seeing the responses you're seeing.

This is essentially the second time you've closed this thread.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Because it seems like Bergevin has no long term plan to stay as the Canadiens GM. He should just go all in so how about:

Galchenyuk
Vs
Thornton

Thornton fill the bill on what the Canadiens are looking for. Good leader. Veteran. He is big and skilled. He has a good reputation.

Galchenyuk is too risky offensively and it's obvious the GM / Coaching staff are averse to that.

So what do you think?

common...Its an hard day for everyone but grow up and act like a man... No need for this

sjsharks92

Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California

This is an excellent way of putting it. No Sharks fan will deny that Galchenyuk has substantially more trade value than Thornton. There is no questioning that. But given that the Sharks truly only have one year left of a serious run at the Cup, we simply can't trade JT for him at this time. Doesn't mean we think JT is the more valuable trade chip, but as pointed out he is definitely the better player going into next season.

And as has been pointed out countless times here, JT has a NMC that he would never waive for a rebuilding, middle of the road club like Montreal. Plus I think JT prefers a smaller hockey market.

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007
Because it seems like Bergevin has no long term plan to stay as the Canadiens GM. He should just go all in so how about:

Galchenyuk
Vs
Thornton

Thornton fill the bill on what the Canadiens are looking for. Good leader. Veteran. He is big and skilled. He has a good reputation.

Galchenyuk is too risky offensively and it's obvious the GM / Coaching staff are averse to that.

So what do you think?

Your fired.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->