Proposal: Montreal - Philadelphia

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I don't usually comment on the trade board, however, count this Hab fan as one who wants nothing to do with Morin. He just strikes me as a d-man tailor made for the NHL's dead puck era. IMHO, he's Philly's version of Tinordi.

Morin is a very good skater with excellent positioning. He has limited(read:minimal) offensive upside, but for a guy that was only drafted to be a shutdown D, a tinordi comparison is just way off.

Reactions: pmwlker

Anardil

Nov 25, 2012
West of Chalet BBQ
Morin is a very good skater with excellent positioning. He has limited(read:minimal) offensive upside, but for a guy that was only drafted to be a shutdown D, a tinordi comparison is just way off.

I saw plenty of Morin while he was in the Q, and especially under the spotlight in the WJHC. I saw someone who needed to play sheltered minutes to avoid being 'turnstiled' constantly, and handled the puck like it was a live grenade.

The reason that I decided to follow him more closely was because there were many strong rumours going into the draft that Bergevin was really trying to trade up specifically to chose Morin. So I watched him in his league, then on team Canada and afterwards. It totals close to two seasons following the draft. I must admit that I stopped keeping tabs on him after then. So maybe he has shown improvement, but I guess that we will have to agree to disagree. I still believe that he will have trouble keeping up with the pace of the NHL game as it is developing.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
I've never seen anything from Morin since he was drafted great size but I always thought he was a Ty Wishart clone. It's too bad about his injuries but I always thought that Sanheim was the much better prospect

People see that size and they immediately see Chara and Hedman but Sam never had their athleticism

Last edited:

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
Fllyers are really tough to trade with. I remember they refused Roy back in the day when he was on the block. I can't see a major move like this going thru

That's like saying the Habs have great coaching cause they once had Scotty Bowman.

Whatever previous GMs did have zero to do with Hextall, or any other current GM. I remember the Habs traded Dejardins AND LeClair for Recchi, then traded Recchi back for Zubrus. It doesn't mean squat about the current management.

Reactions: AnimalFear

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I've never seen anything from Morin since he was drafted great size but I always thought he was a Ty Wishart clone. It's too bad about his injuries but I always thought that Sanheim was the much better prospect

People see that size and they immediately see Chara and Hedman but Sam never had their athleticism

Sam is incredibly athletic, given his size. He never had their offensive talent. He wasnt drafted to be a Chara or Hedman. He was drafted to be a very large, mobile, shutdown guy.

And yes, Sanheim was the better prospect the moment he was drafted.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Chara and Hedman are the obvious comparisons for bigger defensemen (the other one Sam got, also unfairly, was Pronger), but I don't think most Flyer fans held out much hope that he'd develop like that. Maybe we indulged a pipe dream delusion once in a while, but it was never a realistic expectation.

When he was with us, Braydon Coburn always was two players. He was big and mobile, but somewhat lackadaisical until someone got his dander up. When he got angry, he became a wrecking ball for a little while, before reverting to type. That was always our most realistic upside comparison for Sam: pissed-off Braydon Coburn. If we could get that out of him, we'd be happy.

Reactions: Tripod

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Chara and Hedman are the obvious comparisons for bigger defensemen (the other one Sam got, also unfairly, was Pronger), but I don't think most Flyer fans held out much hope that he'd develop like that. Maybe we indulged a pipe dream delusion once in a while, but it was never a realistic expectation.

When he was with us, Braydon Coburn always was two players. He was big and mobile, but somewhat lackadaisical until someone got his dander up. When he got angry, he became a wrecking ball for a little while, before reverting to type. That was always our most realistic upside comparison for Sam: pissed-off Braydon Coburn. If we could get that out of him, we'd be happy.
Exactly. Engelland or Oleksiak are all we need Sam to be. Big, mobile shut down Dman who can move the puck a bit. He's an excellent skater, has developed well in the AHL, and suffered a couple unfortunate injuries this year. I look forward to him joining the Flyers mid-season next year, after some time the AHL to get back after his knee surgery.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Interesting offer

Thats bad for Montreal. Like - really bad.

Theyre full up on wingers, and arent competing, so rentals arent really needed. This deal is similar to how we view patches to Philly: Good player, love to have him, but not at market price.

pmwlker

Apr 13, 2018

Theyre full up on wingers, and arent competing, so rentals arent really needed. This deal is similar to how we view patches to Philly: Good player, love to have him, but not at market price.

I’d do it from a Philly standpoint.
Having 14/19/35/38/50 could open up a lot of options. Agree it’s bad for the Habs. That’s probably why I like it

Reactions: Larry44

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I’d do it from a Philly standpoint.
Having 14/19/35/38/50 could open up a lot of options. Agree it’s bad for the Habs. That’s probably why I like it

Oh yeah, i'd probably do it - but theres just no incentive for montreal. Wanted to get that out there before the montreal fans jumped in, lol.

pmwlker

Apr 13, 2018
Oh yeah, i'd probably do it - but theres just no incentive for montreal. Wanted to get that out there before the montreal fans jumped in, lol.

Yeah I agree. Habs fans will laugh this one of the boards and rightfully so.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007

Bergevin doesn’t really seem to have a direction though. He traded one of the best defensive prospects in hockey for a small, skilled winger last Summer. It was pretty clear then that they needed a Sergachev more than a Drouin. I could see him being interested in Simmonds, even though it makes zero sense.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Bergevin doesn’t really seem to have a direction though. He traded one of the best defensive prospects in hockey for a small, skilled winger last Summer. It was pretty clear then that they needed a Sergachev more than a Drouin. I could see him being interested in Simmonds, even though it makes zero sense.

Drouin for Sergachev you can at least justify because Drouin was a young, established player with a lot of upside. I dont think the trade was good, but it can at least be see as taking advantage of Tampa's situation.

Spending young assets and early 2nd round picks on a rental for a team that still doesnt have a top 6C is beyond Bergevin bad.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
@Dornhoeffer & @MSSLYNX both liked the following in a thread a couple weeks back:

Pacioretty ~to PHI for~ 19ov + Rubtsov/Vorobyev (+ cond. 2nd rd. pick if extended by PHI)

I reject.

Since it'd go without saying Philly would extend MaxPac (otherwise never trade for him), it'd be us paying a 1st 2nd and C prospect for him. For a serious contender, that's not a bad deal. For us, it's bad asset management.

Pass.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
how about Lehtera to Habs in exchange for a 24 case of Molson Canadian?

you guys need a center and we need alcohol to deal with our horrific coach.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
This Hab fan isn't interested unless that draft pick is the 14th and since the Flyers are not interested in Patches this thread should just be closed up.

Can't win 'em all. Different fans of the same team have different ideas and visions. Who knows what Hextall and his team have in mind? Of course if a trade idea is completely out-to-lunch unrealistic, that's one thing. But Pacioretty to Philly for the later of their 1sts and a B-prospect is not out of the realm of possibility at all.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Can't win 'em all. Different fans of the same team have different ideas and visions. Who knows what Hextall and his team have in mind? Of course if a trade idea is completely out-to-lunch unrealistic, that's one thing. But Pacioretty to Philly for the later of their 1sts and a B-prospect is not out of the realm of possibility at all.

Ww know what hextall haa in his mind. He traded a younger, slightly less productive player, for two firsts. Hextall's eyes are on the future; not on Pacioretty at market value.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
@Dornhoeffer & @MSSLYNX both liked the following in a thread a couple weeks back:

Pacioretty ~to PHI for~ 19ov + Rubtsov/Vorobyev (+ cond. 2nd rd. pick if extended by PHI)
Not sure if i went along with a cond 2nd but 19th and b prospect like these 2 yes i’d do. Lw2 is a huge need. Lindblom not showing enough. Top 6 would be awesome. Kane’s big contract did cool me off since even though i did expect Max to be asking for 6 X 6 kind of deal. But since the cap raises 5 mil., yeah i’m in but in the minority in the Philly group who prefer the slower progression. Since i’m old i guess i have less time before next cup. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad