Proposal: Montreal - Philadelphia

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
I reject.

Since it'd go without saying Philly would extend MaxPac (otherwise never trade for him), it'd be us paying a 1st 2nd and C prospect for him. For a serious contender, that's not a bad deal. For us, it's bad asset management.

Pass.

I agree, instead of trading for MaxPac and extend him, why not just keep Simmonds and extend him? I doubt we'd get more for Simmonds than we'd be paying for MaxPac

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I agree, instead of trading for MaxPac and extend him, why not just keep Simmonds and extend him? I doubt we'd get more for Simmonds than we'd be paying for MaxPac

Mostly becaus Max would easily slot as a second line LW and push Lindblom down, while Simmonds wont slot as anything higher than a 3RW. If I could trade Simmonds for Max, I do it, much like i would for Skinner. Unfortunately, Simmonds makes no sense for a Montreal team who should be rebuilding.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I don't think any of us care about trading Lehtera or Rubstov, but trading away a 1st and Morin for an aging veteran on a pricey contract is the exact antithesis of what the GM has been doing and what he should be doing.

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

pmwlker

Apr 13, 2018
@Dornhoeffer & @MSSLYNX both liked the following in a thread a couple weeks back:

Pacioretty ~to PHI for~ 19ov + Rubtsov/Vorobyev (+ cond. 2nd rd. pick if extended by PHI)

Mark me down as don’t like. Patches doesn’t fit the timetable we’re working with. Not a knock on him just don’t think a deal for him makes sense for Philly.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
I saw plenty of Morin while he was in the Q, and especially under the spotlight in the WJHC. I saw someone who needed to play sheltered minutes to avoid being 'turnstiled' constantly, and handled the puck like it was a live grenade.

The reason that I decided to follow him more closely was because there were many strong rumours going into the draft that Bergevin was really trying to trade up specifically to chose Morin. So I watched him in his league, then on team Canada and afterwards. It totals close to two seasons following the draft. I must admit that I stopped keeping tabs on him after then. So maybe he has shown improvement, but I guess that we will have to agree to disagree. I still believe that he will have trouble keeping up with the pace of the NHL game as it is developing.
In the Q, regarding his positional ability- it was above average. Some of his scouting reports listed him as one of the best down low Dmen to come into that draft. That may be due to his defensive acumen and 6’7 230 frame. Not only that his intimidation tends to stop smaller opponents from battling down low.

One thing that people may not understand about him, even as a 17 year old in the Q, is that he is an exceptional skater for his size. Someone with that frame doesn’t move the way he does. His lateral movement is so fluid, and his first step speed and stride are impressive. Same with skating backwards.

His handling with the puck, you’re right about, needed work. He’s not a puck mover, but he can get the puck out of the zone. One of the reasons why he shot up the draft board was due to his play in the playoffs. He broke out offensively and kind of showed his 2-way game that is underrated. He has a heavy shot, albeit not much accuracy on the shot, but he could post 15 points just from rebound opportunities or a shot finding its way back.

His upside is that if a top 4. His injury history just started this past year and hasn’t let up. This is also due to him being stubborn and trying to do too much. With this log rehabilitation period, he will get the rest and work done needed to get back into shape.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad