Value of: Montreal/ Ottawa

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
Don’t tell me it won’t happen and how unlikely it is to happen. I know all this I’m Just wondering what people think

Too bad because it's just not a trade Ottawa would make. Anything I proposed would seem like laughable overpayment from a Habs perspective.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Too bad because it's just not a trade Ottawa would make. Anything I proposed would seem like laughable overpayment from a Habs perspective.
You mean laughable overpayment from a anyone's perspective.
It couldn't be any more laughable than
3OA + Caufield + Romanov + 2021 1st.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Let’s turn this around. If the Habs win the lottery- what would the Sens fans is fair value for the pick assuming the get the 3rd and 5th picks.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
When this does happen (moving up to get no. 1) it's not 3OA + A prospect, + A prospect, +++

It's usually 3OA + 2nd or 3rd rounder...

Recent history...

The trades: On draft day, the Canucks trade no. 4 pick and two third-rounders to the Lightning for the no. 1 pick. Then the Canucks send the no. 1 pick to the Thrashers for the no. 2 pick and a third-rounder.

The trade: The Blue Jackets trade the no. 3 pick and the right to swap picks in 2003 to Florida for the no. 1 pick.

The trade: The Panthers trade the no. 1 pick and a third-rounder to the Penguins for the no. 3 pick, a second-rounder, and Mikael Samuelsson.

Now I will say this, in all the above cases, I don't think there was as clear-cut a no. 1 as there is this year. But I don't get the idea that if a trade is going to happen it's going to be a Lindros-like return.

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
When this does happen (moving up to get no. 1) it's not 3OA + A prospect, + A prospect, +++

It's usually 3OA + 2nd or 3rd rounder...

Recent history...

Now I will say this, in all the above cases, I don't think there was as clear-cut a no. 1 as there is this year. But I don't get the idea that if a trade is going to happen it's going to be a Lindros-like return.

That's why this year is different. Suggesting that it would take a 2nd rounder is laughable.

No one is asking for a Lindros return but the point is no one is going to be trading down in this draft unless it's a massive over payment. There's no fair trade to be made because of the difference between 1/3. Your talking about 2 different tiers of players. The team with pick 1 has no incentive to trade down to a lower tier unless their getting a massive package.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
That's why this year is different. Suggesting that it would take a 2nd rounder is laughable.

No one is asking for a Lindros return but the point is no one is going to be trading down in this draft unless it's a massive over payment. There's no fair trade to be made because of the difference between 1/3. Your talking about 2 different tiers of players. The team with pick 1 has no incentive to trade down to a lower tier unless their getting a massive package.

I dunno, I see a lot of 3OA + Romanov + Caufield/Suzuki + 2021 1st...

Probably not going to happen at all but if it does it won't be for 4-5 A pieces.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I dunno, I see a lot of 3OA + Romanov + Caufield/Suzuki + 2021 1st...

Probably not going to happen at all but if it does it won't be for 4-5 A pieces.

It pretty much would if Ottawa has that top pick.

We have a ton of prospects in the system. What we need, is that home run franchise player. Nothing Montreal has qualifies as a franchise level piece for us. Therefore, that proposal you have, while it is an over payment on paper, is the MINIMUM Ottawa would accept to gift Montreal a franchise player (and a francophone one at that) for the next 15 years.

Whoever owns that first overall pick is in the drivers seat, and won't part with it for anything less than a massive windfall.

Reactions: Crosside

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Don’t tell me it won’t happen and how unlikely it is to happen. I know all this I’m Just wondering what people think
When people say it won't happen for proposals like this, it's because there's nothing that could make it happen.

I can't think of any asset packages that Montreal could put together that would entice Ottawa to give up Lafreniere. If they have the 1st and 2nd they probably grab Laf and Byfield instead of trading the picks for a different winger and center.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Let’s turn this around. If the Habs win the lottery- what would the Sens fans is fair value for the pick assuming the get the 3rd and 5th picks.
Acquiring the 1OA would cost the sens way more than the other way around; Imagine what it would take for the habs to let go of a franchise player, who is québequois and at a draft in Montreal.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I expect MB to make a really serious push for Laf tbh. Both management and ownership have a ton of pressure on them (from the media to the season ticket holders).

MB isn't the type to overpay for players but he might need to gamble and trade for Laf at any cost. Regardless, something big is definitely happening this off-season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad