Friedman: Montreal is one of the teams in on Pavel Zacha

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
I makes no sense unless the Devils are looking for something that they over-value.

We can't trade any high end defensive prospects. We do have plenty of picks but he's not worth a first rounder and maybe a high second is enough.

Maybe the Devils may want Caufield but that is going to cost a lot more then Zacha. The Devils have many good young centers and want to add to other areas. Or maybe Zacha ask to sign is so high that the Devils prefer to trade his which will then make it the Hab's problem.

I don't know Zacha's game and I don't know how much about the Devils line-up so I will leave it to others to speculate about "value".

Maybe there is nothing there other then clickbait...or the Devils playing the trade misinformation games.
While I agree that we should keep our best defensive prospects I also think, with all due respect, that you're plain wrong to think Zacha isn't worth a first-round pick.

Zacha might not be the most creative player I've ever seen but he is strong along the boards, generally good defensively, quite fast for his size, can be physical when needed, and is a competent sharpshooter to boot when put in the bumper position on the powerplay. That's a pretty good player to add to any team, and definitely worth a first.

To better substantiate my point, I'd say that Zacha is probably not worth a top 15-20 pick (and def not worth 1-15) but anything later than that is fair game for Zacha, with maybe a small plus if the pick is late or depending on the other parts of the hypothetical deal.

I know this is Hockey's Future boards, but picks just don't have the value IRL that they do in us hockey nuts' minds. That is why we often see late firsts traded by teams involved in playoffs races, and more at the draft.

As far as more or less defining Zacha's value, even though the task is purely hypothetical and ultimately meaningless (but is it meaningless if I have fun thinking it up?), I'd say he has similar value to a guy like Lehkonen. Perhaps slightly less in a vacuum given Lehkonen's extremely solid track record in the playoffs and defensive prowess, but still on the same level.

To be honest, I think this is Friedman stirring the pot for clicks on this whole NJ/MTL trade speculation, but if we were to indeed try and acquire Zacha I believe the trade would happen at the draft, and that we'd be either moving Calgary's first-round pick (or perhaps another first we acquire from other trades) or a combination of prospects/picks that would satisfy NJ.

And I think NJ could be interested in Armia as an add to the Zacha deal. He is a good third-liner, an absolute monster along the boards and cycling the puck despite the horrible injury-riddled year that he's had.

Now, before I get run over by NJ fans, I get it, the contract isn't great and Armia hasn't produced this year. But in the playoffs last year Armia was fantastic, a big reason why we went to the finals, and I think he will turn it around next year in a major way with a longer offseason and coming in healthy this time. Also, playing with a team that isn't suffering from eyebrow-raising levels of man-games lost while at the same time blatantly trying to get a coach (that has clearly lost the room) fired to start the season should also help tremendously.

Moving Armia to NJ could also warrant some sort of sweetener sent to NJ to take the contract in addition to Zacha's haul, but it would not be a major add-on I think, perhaps a B prospect or so.

And the reason I think we're going to try and move away Armia in spite of the fact that he is still a really good player is that he might not be a "fit" for us going forward because of our new management's wish for a change in paradigm and putting heavier emphasis on speed than before (where character was supposedly our #1 criterion... I know, great strategy right...).

Anyways, this is all speculation and my opinion. Flame away if you wish, or if I somehow ruffled your feathers.

With that said, cheers and good evening.

Last edited:

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Habs aren't in on Zacha. Don't want Zacha and don't need him.

They have Dvorak.

Unless Dvorak asked the team quietly to be traded then Dvo for Zacha maybe... but Zacha isn't a good player.

Reactions: Runner77

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
People are funny when it comes to Zacha, he's a frustrating player but he's not a bad player.
No idea why people here think he's terrible

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Interesting... what do the Devils need? I feel like they would want D, but montreal is famished there. Kulak's not close to Zacha's value at all right?

- Poehling? Change of scenery for two young-ish players.
- Drouin? Devils get a 2nd line winger, but I feel like he's not a guy to target
- Are the Habs able to sell high on Rem Pitlick? That'd be hilarious...

Or maybe a young d man ala Josh Brook or something? Like I stated above, we're starved for D-men though, so seems unlikely to me unless it's a guy management really dislike?

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Let's try and get Wood from the Devils....

Zacha, Lehkonen and Dvorak would be an expensive and amazing 3rd line

Last edited:
Reactions: frapp10

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I makes no sense unless the Devils are looking for something that they over-value.

We can't trade any high end defensive prospects. We do have plenty of picks but he's not worth a first rounder and maybe a high second is enough.

Maybe the Devils may want Caufield but that is going to cost a lot more then Zacha. The Devils have many good young centers and want to add to other areas. Or maybe Zacha ask to sign is so high that the Devils prefer to trade his which will then make it the Hab's problem.

I don't know Zacha's game and I don't know how much about the Devils line-up so I will leave it to others to speculate about "value".

Maybe there is nothing there other then clickbait...or the Devils playing the trade misinformation games.
NO to all caufield to nj proposals. not interested at all.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Zacha must still play center. He took over 600 draws last season. 51.5%
When Hischier is injured, Zacha fills in.

Consider him a center if you want, but he's not good at it. Very enigmatic player. Not necessarily a low IQ guy, very talented, fantastic shot but the definition of a passenger kind of player. He is not physical at all, loses battles constantly and often makes poor decisions in transition, especially at his own blueline. He makes some nice reads defensively, but also wouldn't call him a good checking forward either.

I think you'd need a strong room/culture for a true change of scenery explosion. This is not a Bennett situation but a lot of people seem to love that comparison. I don't see how he makes sense for MTL at all.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I don't see how this makes sense for MTL but Marek mentioned it like 3 times during his show today, almost as if he's confident it's close.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
While I agree that we should keep our best defensive prospects I also think, with all due respect, that you're plain wrong to think Zacha isn't worth a first-round pick.

Zacha might not be the most creative player I've ever seen but he is strong along the boards, generally good defensively, quite fast for his size, can be physical when needed, and is a competent sharpshooter to boot when put in the bumper position on the powerplay. That's a pretty good player to add to any team, and definitely worth a first.

To better substantiate my point, I'd say that Zacha is probably not worth a top 15-20 pick (and def not worth 1-15) but anything later than that is fair game for Zacha, with maybe a small plus if the pick is late or depending on the other parts of the hypothetical deal.

I know this is Hockey's Future boards, but picks just don't have the value IRL that they do in us hockey nuts' minds. That is why we often see late firsts traded by teams involved in playoffs races, and more at the draft.

As far as more or less defining Zacha's value, even though the task is purely hypothetical and ultimately meaningless (but is it meaningless if I have fun thinking it up?), I'd say he has similar value to a guy like Lehkonen. Perhaps slightly less in a vacuum given Lehkonen's extremely solid track record in the playoffs and defensive prowess, but still on the same level.

To be honest, I think this is Friedman stirring the pot for clicks on this whole NJ/MTL trade speculation, but if we were to indeed try and acquire Zacha I believe the trade would happen at the draft, and that we'd be either moving Calgary's first-round pick (or perhaps another first we acquire from other trades) or a combination of prospects/picks that would satisfy NJ.

And I think NJ could be interested in Armia as an add to the Zacha deal. He is a good third-liner, an absolute monster along the boards and cycling the puck despite the horrible injury-riddled year that he's had.

Now, before I get run over by NJ fans, I get it, the contract isn't great and Armia hasn't produced this year. But in the playoffs last year Armia was fantastic, a big reason why we went to the finals, and I think he will turn it around next year in a major way with a longer offseason and coming in healthy this time. Also, playing with a team that isn't suffering from eyebrow-raising levels of man-games lost while at the same time blatantly trying to get a coach (that has clearly lost the room) fired to start the season should also help tremendously.

Moving Armia to NJ could also warrant some sort of sweetener sent to NJ to take the contract in addition to Zacha's haul, but it would not be a major add-on I think, perhaps a B prospect or so.

And the reason I think we're going to try and move away Armia in spite of the fact that he is still a really good player is that he might not be a "fit" for us going forward because of our new management's wish for a change in paradigm and putting heavier emphasis on speed than before (where character was supposedly our #1 criterion... I know, great strategy right...).

Anyways, this is all speculation and my opinion. Flame away if you wish, or if I somehow ruffled your feathers.

With that said, cheers and good evening.
I'm not going to argue when I don't know much about the player.

If the Habs brain trust thinks he's a bonafide 2C, then I can see a second and an add, but first is a mountain too far.

Let's see...

Mike Dukarm

Aug 3, 2018
Montreal
Just why Habs would take Zacha?

Plenty of 3rd center in Montreal... its like Montreal would take Zacha for 2-3years until a better center would take his place.

So why pay for him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad