Status
Not open for further replies.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Totally forgot about that... yeah will probably miss that one

I think we can agree that Fabregas will be here. I say to Impact go after Ryan Telfer, a cheap depth addition.

I wonder who he will bring as the number 6; William Vainqueur? Nzonzi? Bakoyoko? MVila?

Fabregas? Gosh, that would be way too many Barcelona connexion for my liking :laugh:

Let's say I'll choose to only remember his and Titi's time at Arsenal ;)

Reactions: JunglePete

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Bakayoko can get better offers. Nzonzi is cooked. M'Vila is not a 6. Vainqueur is average.

If he can get one of Carrasco or El Sharaawy out of China though, now we're talking.

or Mariano Diaz from Real Madrid, aka the next Josef Martinez for whoever gets him to MLS

yes Mvila is a 6. Idk where you think he plays but with France and Inter he was certainly a DM. Idk where he plays now but pretty sure he is stilla DM or CB.

Vainqueur and Nzonzi are still miles better than your average MLS DM. Bakayoko looks done in Europe at least for a top club, maybe a year loan here would help him.

Point is they are all lightyears ahead of Piette and taller its not even close. All realistic targets minus Bakayoko to an extent.

The players you mentioned are unrealistic. Carrasco was bought for 30 Mil Euros with a 10 Mil euros yearly salary, a year ago. Why would he take a major paycut to play here in his prime when he can play for a club like Arsenal. No way Saputo pays a 20 mil transfer

Ditto for El Sharaawy. Saputo wont pay that much

Mariano thinks he is good enough for Spain and you think he will join MLS? Yeah no way it happens lol.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I dont follow the impact too much. Is thierry coming into a good situation here or is he coming in to fix a broken team that has talent?
I'd think he's coming to Montreal, first to get experience in coaching and second because Saputo/Gilmore can sell more tickets with big names. This team doesn't really look like they have "exceptional" talent and isn't exactly broken either.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Dries Martens please. Big name, still lots of good soccer left. We want a long Concacaf run. Win it all.

if you think we can compete with Juventus, Tottenham, Inter and Arsenal sure. Mertens is a top 5 player in Serie A there is no way he joins Montreal next year. Someone tell that journalist that he can forget about it.

Lacazette is a more realistic target to Mertens as absurd as it may sound. Lacazettes idol is Henry and he plays for his club. You think Titi could arrange a deal with Arsenal for a loan? Me thinks so. Not like Arsenal will win something anytime soon. Plus he is best friends with Mavinga.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
I've been busy with the new job, but man, when I saw the news at 7Am, I had a radious smile the whole day. Question marks can and should be raised about his thin and unsuccessful head coaching career, but man... Thierry Henry Sacrament!

I hope and think he negotiated a budget player-wise. He knows the league du bout des doigts and is a genius when it comes to breaking down the game. Let's see if he learns how to work with players less talented/dedicated than him. Because this is the MLS. Good news is that the player egos this side of the pond fit through the doorway, unlike in Europe. It's a bit concerning that he was the only coach interviewed, but you would have to think they have considered other candidates as well.

As many have said, he's for sure only here for two years. If he succeeds, he's flying in his private jet back to London/Paris to coach in the Premier League or in Ligue 1. If he fails, he's probably going to go full-time TV panelist for BeIN or Sky Sports. No matter what, this is f***ing huge.

Chapeau Senor Zorro.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Julien is not defensive minded. People need to start realizing that roster composition is more influential than coaching. Same thing with Garde, he was known as an offensive coach in France, comes here with limited talent and has to adjust.

It's easy to fix the defensive coverage. You can't magically create talent though.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
I dont follow the impact too much. Is thierry coming into a good situation here or is he coming in to fix a broken team that has talent?

Basically, the team is at the end of a cycle. Piatti, the team's best player for years now is about to leave, either this Winter or next Summer to go back in Argentina. But he's far from the only player that will leave. There's a big turnover expected, and many starters from last year (Urruti, Camacho, Lovitz, Bush) are being shopped around for Cap space. The cycle sort of started again last Summer with the signing of a new star player in Bojan and the firing of Rémi Garde. They named a new Technical Director (the GM) in Olivier Renard who hired Thierry Henry (the new coach). They have some money to play with, potentially even more if they trade a few players I've named, so they can build a team they like. The key here is to spend wisely, something the team has always struggled with, especially for mid-tier players. They spend the big bucks wisely, although scarcely as we've never had three Designated players (you can pay them as much as you want, their contract will only count for 530k on the cap) at once.

The Impact is set to go on great endeavours next year, with their qualification for the Champions league for the first time in 5-6 years. They'll play teams from Mexico, the US, the Caribbeans and Central America for the title. The last time around, when they reached the final and played Club Americà, it garnered so much interest that they filled the Olympic Stadium and eventually brought in Drogba to boot. This is a great time to start following the team if you ask me.

mjlee

Feb 25, 2006
As a complete non-french speaker, how different is Thierry's french to Québécois French? Obviously we're talking verbally. Just curious.

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
As a complete non-french speaker, how different is Thierry's french to Québécois French? Obviously we're talking verbally. Just curious.

At this point, his french isn't much different from the french we hear in parts of Montreal.

Reactions: mjlee
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad