OT: Montreal Impact Thread - Thierry Henry's Magical Hands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
You're right, a coach have to be realistic and adjust with the team he have in hands. And yes Julien is not that narrow defensive mind coach as many says. Give him good offensive players and they will score. Like Bergeron, Marchand and Kreji in Boston when they won the cup.
I just hope for their sake that it doesn't end up as nothing more than a PR stunt.

Reactions: THE HOFF

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I just hope for their sake that it doesn't end up as nothing more than a PR stunt.
It's risky because soccer (I should say football, or foot) is not very popular here, except with people born outside Canada. All the rest of the planet are crazy about foot. I'm not sure the timing is good to bring here such a legend of foot but I guess Saputo and his advisers knows more than me, lol. Montreal large area have plenty of foot fans.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
It's risky because soccer (I should say football, or foot) is not very popular here, except with people born outside Canada. All the rest of the planet are crazy about foot. I'm not sure the timing is good to bring here such a legend of foot but I guess Saputo and his advisers knows more than me, lol. Montreal large area have plenty of foot fans.
I think the main goal is to bring euro football fans to the stadium, because most of the people going to the stadium are either the core fans or casual fans. There's a ton of potential with the immigrant community that remains to be exploited. So a Drogba 2.0 type of move was very needed and this is it. I think the club also has a much better structure to support that type of move now than it had back then. Now all of that means nothing if the results don't follow on the pitch, and not only by winning, but winning in style.

Montreal likes their money's worth, we pay too many taxes to have jabroni teams and be happy.

tintinetmilou

Mar 22, 2010
Not sure abouth this coaching wise. I know he was loved by the belgian players when his was T3 to Martinez but as a head coach it is a different ball game. He will for sure help the strikers but he will need a strong T2 that is very good with tactics for this to work. H e will need a career coach with him. Now, I like this move for recruiting reasons. I am sure that he will bring in good players. I wonder if this was a Renard or a Saputo decision. I hope Renard was in on this for synergy of the team.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I like what I've been hearing from the org and the man himself so far. They all seem to be pretty realistic about the positives and negatives, plus how he's still very unproven at this point as a coach. Nobody is insulting our intelligence for now .

Olfer

Apr 25, 2019
Rouyn-Noranda
If he was raging during practice agaisnt his players in Monaco, I don't want to see what he'll do with our jabronis...

shamrun

Jun 5, 2008
vancouver
I dont follow the impact too much. Is thierry coming into a good situation here or is he coming in to fix a broken team that has talent?

boyinboyin

Jul 22, 2014
Montreal
Just by looking at protection lists, we can see that our club is laughable...

LAFC might leave MVLee unprotected when we are debating which of Sejdic or Krolicki we should protect. Miami and Nashville are 100% skipping on us.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
I dont follow the impact too much. Is thierry coming into a good situation here or is he coming in to fix a broken team that has talent?

A bit of both. There's a retooling to be done. Some good pieces there. And a decent situation with the Champions League and a top 10 spending team.

There's something to be done for sure.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
I'd say neither. This team lacks the talent it needs to be where it wants to be. The hiring will help attract the name it needs, but the biggest pressure is on Olivier Renard to stop the cycle of overpaying for internationals that disappoint (ex. Victor Cabrera, Rudy Camacho, Lucas Ontivero, Jeisson Vargas, etc etc).

Reactions: Skip Bayless

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Remember when Babcock signed with the leafs? Yeah, it's that type of situation.

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
Do we think he'll have any swing when it comes to signing players? Someone like Giroud with the Arsenal and French connection might be interested in playing for Henry

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Encouraging words from Roberto Martinez:
On avait pourtant parler d’un retour au sein de la sélection belge où la porte a toujours été ouverte par les joueurs comme Roberto Martinez. En conférence de presse vendredi, le sélectionneur des Diables Rouges a réagi à la nomination de son ancien adjoint à Montréal. Ses propos sont relayés par La Dernière Heure. « On est tous contents pour lui. Il connaît la MLS sur le bout des doigts. Il va pouvoir construire l’équipe, ce qui n’était pas le cas par le passé (à Monaco). On lui souhaite bonne chance ». Des mots qui feront plaisir à Thierry Henry !

source: Impact Montréal : Roberto Martinez commente l’arrivée de Thierry Henry

Reactions: QuebecPride

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
The Montreal Impact it's a mess. Everybody gets used to it. So no training strike alright...

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
Henry looking for his striker in the depth chart the team gave him

AccurateUnfinishedBergerpicard-max-1mb.gif

Reactions: QuebecPride

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Super pumped for Canada vs USA tonight

Totally forgot about that... yeah will probably miss that one

I think we can agree that Fabregas will be here. I say to Impact go after Ryan Telfer, a cheap depth addition.

I wonder who he will bring as the number 6; William Vainqueur? Nzonzi? Bakoyoko? MVila?

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Totally forgot about that... yeah will probably miss that one

I think we can agree that Fabregas will be here. I say to Impact go after Ryan Telfer, a cheap depth addition.

I wonder who he will bring as the number 6; William Vainqueur? Nzonzi? Bakoyoko? MVila?
Bakayoko can get better offers. Nzonzi is cooked. M'Vila is not a 6. Vainqueur is average.

If he can get one of Carrasco or El Sharaawy out of China though, now we're talking.

or Mariano Diaz from Real Madrid, aka the next Josef Martinez for whoever gets him to MLS

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad