OT: Montreal Impact Thread - Thierry Henry's Magical Hands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
He is the biggest name in soccer world. On radio they said this news was front page everywhere around the planet. But big names doesn't always equal success in coaching. Like Gretzky for example.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Not sure he'll be a great coach, anyway Coaches don't last very long in the soccer world, but at least it brings the spotlight on Montreal and he surely brought some international contact with him, which might help the team get some players. That's the biggest upside in my book.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
He is the biggest name in soccer world. On radio they said this news was front page everywhere around the planet. But big names doesn't always equal success in coaching. Like Gretzky for example.

L'Équipe reporting the hire:

Capture_d%C3%A9cran_le_2019-11-14_%C3%A0_08.39.04.png

Capture_d%C3%A9cran_le_2019-11-14_%C3%A0_08.39.28.png

Capture_d%C3%A9cran_le_2019-11-14_%C3%A0_08.39.41.png

The news item as reported by L'Équipe is neutral, sticking to the facts.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
However, L'Équipe's users are mostly not complimentary. What gives?

Capture_d%C3%A9cran_le_2019-11-14_%C3%A0_08.40.24.png

Capture_d%C3%A9cran_le_2019-11-14_%C3%A0_08.40.40.png

Capture_d%C3%A9cran_le_2019-11-14_%C3%A0_08.40.55.png

Capture_d%C3%A9cran_le_2019-11-14_%C3%A0_08.41.18.png

Reactions: ArtPeur

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
It's understandable that the Impact wants to take advantage of this marketing wise, but I find it funny how much they're trying to milk it. I mean, if you're relying on the coach to bring you people to the stadium, he won't score you goals. The team on paper is still below average. Still not clear whether Piatti is staying? are we bringing any striker? who's our CBs duo? Is Lovitz staying? Bush? Our crappy midfield? etc.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
It's understandable that the Impact wants to take advantage of this marketing wise, but I find it funny how much they're trying to milk it. I mean, if you're relying on the coach to bring you people to the stadium, he won't score you goals. The team on paper is still below average. Still not clear whether Piatti is staying? are we bringing any striker? who's our CBs duo? Is Lovitz staying? Bush? Our crappy midfield? etc.
When I read so many posters unhappy that we have a defensive minded coach with Julien, Rémi Garde was exactly the opposite. He was the most offensive minded coach in soccer we could find. It didn't work out, because I guess we didn't have good players. Henry could not change anything except if better players wants to play here because of him. It's too soon to see what kind of 'Impact' he will bring.

Reactions: Skip Bayless

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Henry could not change anything except if better players wants to play here because of him. It's too soon to see what kind of 'Impact' he will bring.

That’s one comment I heard several times today — he’s got quite the list of contacts.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
When I read so many posters unhappy that we have a defensive minded coach with Julien, Rémi Garde was exactly the opposite. He was the most offensive minded coach in soccer we could find. It didn't work out, because I guess we didn't have good players. Henry could not change anything except if better players wants to play here because of him. It's too soon to see what kind of 'Impact' he will bring.
Julien is not defensive minded. People need to start realizing that roster composition is more influential than coaching. Same thing with Garde, he was known as an offensive coach in France, comes here with limited talent and has to adjust.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Julien is not defensive minded. People need to start realizing that roster composition is more influential than coaching. Same thing with Garde, he was known as an offensive coach in France, comes here with limited talent and has to adjust.
You're right, a coach have to be realistic and adjust with the team he have in hands. And yes Julien is not that narrow defensive mind coach as many says. Give him good offensive players and they will score. Like Bergeron, Marchand and Kreji in Boston when they won the cup.

Reactions: Skip Bayless
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->