GDT: Montreal @ Florida - 6pm - The 'Get Well Soon Brandon' edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Off-topic, but I still can't believe that people are hating on Gionta when over an 82 game season he would be on pace for 26 goals and 47 points while providing such a solid two-way (in fact I would say him + Plekanec is part of the reason why the two-way game from the forward group is so successful).

Sometimes I wish fans could look past cap hit and height when judging a player's value.

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
Wow, that D looks slow as hell!

Except Campbell, and to a lesser extent Gudbranson, those guys are not exactly known to be speedsters. Yonkman, Kuba, Strachan and Robak make for a really big D, but I have no doubt our forwards will exploit that tonight! Weaver and Kulikov both being out should really expose their slow d-men.

There's really a defenceman named Yonkman?

PricePkPatch*

Reasons why we lose the game :

1) Brandon Prust is injured
2) 2nd game in 2 nights
3) We're 31-34-6 against them

Reason why we WILL NOT lose this game:

no_excuse.0_standard_352.0.png

And this is not even up to discussion.

It doesn't matter if Prust, Diaz or Bourque are out
It doesn't matter if we are supposed to be tired
It doesn't matter if we are due to lose one against them.

No. Excuse.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Off-topic, but I still can't believe that people are hating on Gionta when over an 82 game season he would be on pace for 26 goals and 47 points while providing such a solid two-way (in fact I would say him + Plekanec is part of the reason why the two-way game from the forward group is so successful).

Sometimes I wish fans could look past cap hit and height when judging a player's value.

Agreed. I've always advocated keeping Gio. Even when he isn't producing, he provides shut-down line quality minutes (plus leadership). He's probably a bit overpaid, but Montreal isn't even approaching cap trouble before his contract expires. His contract is a non-issue to the team. I understand the need for size, but when people mention guys like Clowe (WAY to slow) and Clarson (never going to happen/isn't worth the price) I wonder just how much teams like the Bruins and Leafs. This team is top-10 in hits, they may not have size, but they aren't going to get pushed around a lot. No point in trying to dismantle the core with a band-aid solution.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Reason why we WILL NOT lose this game:

no_excuse.0_standard_352.0.png

And this is not even up to discussion.

It doesn't matter if Prust, Diaz or Bourque are out
It doesn't matter if we are supposed to be tired
It doesn't matter if we are due to lose one against them.

No. Excuse.

But they got rid of kovalev...

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
There's really a defenceman named Yonkman?
Nolan Yonkman. He's old, he's huge.. and he's not very good.

My money is on Budaj being in net, with both an earlier start time and DST.

Hoping Canada blows the States out and mercies them by the 5th inning, so I can watch the whole Habs game. :laugh:

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
We need White back this game, I don't want Fleischman running around like a mad man.
I'm sure he will be. My guess is;

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Gallagher
Ryder - Plekanec - Gionta
Galchenyuk - Eller - Moen
White - Dumont - Armstrong

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Montreal tends to play up/down to their opponents though. Well, more so last year than this season, but we often play down to weaker opponents.

Too many boring losses in Florida are still etched in my memory to think this is an easy game.

We do, but that doesn't change the fact that there is absolutely no excuse in losing this game. Florida is a legitimately awful team.

I wonder if we could snatch Kopecky from them cheap, though ;)

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
We do, but that doesn't change the fact that there is absolutely no excuse in losing this game. Florida is a legitimately awful team.

I wonder if we could snatch Kopecky from them cheap, though ;)
If we got Kopecky, we're going to need an offensive 4th line C/W for when we're healthy cause we'd have two pretty good players on the 4th line. :laugh:

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
If that's all it takes to beat us, we have bigger problems than an injured middleweight.

As if Prust was just a middleweight.

You guys are making the same mistake the Rangers fans made last summer... His contribution goes way longer than his role of enforcer.

PricePkPatch*

You guys are making the same mistake the Rangers fans made last summer... His contribution goes way longer than his role of enforcer.

I do not. I agree Prust made a huge contribution to this team, and has been essential to our success and change of culture.

But if this bunch of players cannot keep it going in his temporary absence, are we truly deserving? It's time for secondary leaders or hitters like Armstrong, Moen and White to step up and hold the line.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I do not. I agree Prust made a huge contribution to this team, and has been essential to our success and change of culture.

But if this bunch of players cannot keep it going in his temporary absence, are we truly deserving? It's time for secondary leaders or hitters like Armstrong, Moen and White to step up and hold the line.

I wouldn't count on Armstrong. Moen can do it, but still has no sense of timing.

If White could revert back to his psychopathic ways I'd like him more than I do now.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
price starting?

Not suppose to be. 'Cause then this supposed "rule" that both goalies starts back to back wouldn't apply wouldn't it? I mean, if Budaj was good enough for Boston...he has to be good enough for Florida.

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
What's our record for the second game of back-to-back games?

3 wins (OTT, NYR, BOS)
1 loss (OTT)
1 shootout loss (BUF)

Also, from glancing at our record, I noticed we've scored 3 or more goals in our last 6 games (5, 6, 4, 3, 4, 4). Nothing important to that, just a cool stat.

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
3 wins (OTT, NYR, BOS)
1 loss (OTT)
1 shootout loss (BUF)

Also, from glancing at our record, I noticed we've scored 3 or more goals in our last 6 games (5, 6, 4, 3, 4, 4). Nothing important to that, just a cool stat.

Also an interesting stat; Montreal is the best team in the 1st period in terms of goals against, while Florida is dead last.

Montreal - 10 goals allowed in the 1st period.
Florida - 33 goals allowed in the 1st period.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal

All this talk of the Rangers not doing as good as last year because they lost Prust is really disingenuous. He was a key part of their team, but the Rangers also sacrificed Anisimov and Dubinsky for Rick Nash (who has injured for a bit).

The Rangers greatest asset last year was its shutdown ability, they were such a great defensive team. Prust, Anisimov and Dubinsky were a huge part of that shutdown capabilty, all three are excellent two-way players. The Rangers did not replace this in the off-season and it's the biggest reason why they regressed from last year. Guys like Anisimov, Dubinsky, Prust allowed offensive players like Richards, Callahan Gaborik, Hagelin and Stepan to do their thing as the former three carried the lion's share of the defensive load along with Boyle. Funnily enough they replaced Prust, Anisimov and Dubinsky with Taylor Pyatt, Aaron Asham and Jeff Halpern who are all lesser two-way players. That is the biggest difference with the rangers. The Rangers recognized the loss of key-two way players, hence why they tried to replace them with lesser quality two-ways guys..

Never underestimate the contributions of two-way players. It's actually part of the reason why we are successful this year. Two-way players help with possession and Eller, Prust, Moen, Gionta and Plekanec are all key players in that part of our game this year.

Corncob

Feb 10, 2011
All this talk of the Rangers not doing as good as last year because they lost Prust is really disingenuous. He was a key part of their team, but the Rangers also sacrificed Anisimov and Dubinsky for Rick Nash (who has injured for a bit).

And that their top four Dmen have all missed time with injuries...

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
And that their top four Dmen have all missed time with injuries...

Nothing significant. Staal, Girardi and Del Zotto have missed only two games while McDonagh has missed 1.

Losing three key two-way players who Tortorella leaned on really hurt the team. They replaced these players with guys of lesser quality. For a team that was committed to team defense, this really hurt them a lot. They are still one of the better defensive team's in the league, but they are allowing too many goals for the amount that they score...this is killing them. Last year they allowed the least goals in the east. Not to mention that Anisimov and Dubinsky provided some scoring depth as well.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006

Yeah, I don't want to get too ahead of things but I have a bad feeling with Prust being out, especially if it's long term. He's been the good luck charm of this turnaround. That being said, the team seems to be well coached, full of character and has depth, so we shall see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce