Montreal fighting for a playoff spot

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Our last 7 games we've be in it the whole time.

We beat NYI, San Jose, Carolina and Florida, we were very competitive in the Tampa game although we lost and we should of won the Nashville game. Because of last night? Weak game by Tokarski.

How are we not top 10 in that span?

because these rankings are, on their face, nonsensical ? they are made as click bait, if they were perfetly reasonable no one clicks.

i care about power rankings as much as I take info from the crazy/drunk guy yelling at cars on the corner to heart.

water off your back is the way to go.

Strik_IX

No excuses!
Jun 11, 2007
Montréal
These rankings are dumb IMO.

The one thing advanced stats won't show is how ****ing resilient this team can be when it faces a tough challenge. Since the beginning of the year the Habs have come back from behind often, the team seems to ave an extra gear when their backs are against the wall.

We will go in as an underdog even if we finish at the top of the division... again. Who cares, that's just going to give players more motivation.

I've said it all year round, this year is our year, Price will be bringing home more hardware than a Vezina and a Hart, he's going to have a Conn Smythe and a Cup too, book it !

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Well, the power rankings are in. And once again Habs are not in the top 5, not even in the top 10. THEY'RE 13th. On top of that, Nashville is 15th.

What the hell is this, I always thought the power rankings were terrible but how can it be so bad? Ottawa is 10th...

:help:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=759916&navid=nhl:topheads

Well if you read the whole thing they explain why they ranked use 13th...

There is also this fascinating fact about the teams near the top of the standings: The three clubs with the best chance to win the Presidents' Trophy, the Anaheim Ducks, Montreal Canadiens and New York Rangers, will all have to buck recent history to win the Stanley Cup.

The Kings and Blackhawks have been leaders in illuminating the general public about why certain metrics that most people didn't know existed until recently matter, and often more than the standings when trying to predict a champion.

In the past five seasons, four times the eventual Stanley Cup champion has been great at two things: possessing the puck and suppressing shot attempts by the opponent. These are two similar but distinct things. There have been several teams who are great at possessing the puck but do so in a more wide-open style, which leads to more shot attempts against.

[...]

What does this mean for the Ducks, Canadiens and Rangers? There is more time left in this season, and the Rangers and Ducks have been improving in puck possession (but not as much in shot suppression) of late. Last season Montreal added players at the NHL Trade Deadline and improved in these categories, and a bigger dose of Jeff Petry (and lesser doses of a few guys) would help.

[...]

It's certainly possible for the Ducks, Canadiens or Rangers to win the Stanley Cup, and plenty of pundits will pick one of them to do so. It appears they will need to reverse the recent course of NHL history in order to pull it off.

They use SAT% ALL, SAT% L25 , SATA/60 and PK% as basis for their ranking:

We are bad at SAT% (ALL or L25) we are bad at shot suppression, they even jab at MT's roster management :laugh:, the only reason we are not 16th is because we have a good PK.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Getting into the playoffs healthy should be a priority, with 7 games left to play the playoffs are a certainty. Price needs 3 W's to break Dryden & Plante's record as Habs goalies of 42 W's, that's a priority also IMHO.:nod: I think the Habs should try to get Tinordi some NHL games before the playoffs if he's healthy, just to help build some confidence before throwing him into the fire so to speak. We'll see soon enough I guess.:nod:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I take power rankings with a grain of salt. If you read the Habs one they compare Gallagher's 5-on-5 scoring with Subban which is weird as usually you don't compare a forward and dmans offensive stats.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
I take power rankings with a grain of salt. If you read the Habs one they compare Gallagher's 5-on-5 scoring with Subban which is weird as usually you don't compare a forward and dmans offensive stats.

The Habs should be ranked in the top six teams in the NHL, based upon their season that's the very low end IMHO.

Nynja*

The Habs should be ranked in the top six teams in the NHL, based upon their season that's the very low end IMHO.

Except theyre ranked where theyre ranked because of horrible possession metrics, horrible offensive stats, horrible defensive stats, basically anything that Therrien doesnt stick his nose into.

Theres a reason Carey is a common frontrunner for the Hart despite being a goaltender, and its not just among habs fans.

Last edited by a moderator:

Barriwhite

Don’t be shocked by the tone of my voice
Nov 8, 2005
Montreal
Power rankings, while we dont know the exact formula behind them, implicitly add more weight to the recent stats to have an idea of who has momentum. Otherwise what's the point of even having them?

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I love the argument of "We're not a good team without Price". Well HOW DO THE PATRIOTS FARE WITHOUT BRADY?

He's part of the team and one of our best players stop excluding him when judging our team. We're a different team in the playoffs we showed that last year

How have the Rangers done without Lundquist? How did the Sens do with that bum Hammond? Oh wait, this isn't going well .

Mynameismark*

Murderous? Sharks we're up 3-0 in the series before chocking, Ducks took the Kings to 7 games, the Hawks were 1 goal away from another cup final.

And the Kings turned it on and won those games. They weren;t given anything. You still have to come back and win, which is never easy, against good teams.

rhinoshawarma

Nov 15, 2014
And the Kings turned it on and won those games. They weren;t given anything. You still have to come back and win, which is never easy, against good teams.

I'm not discrediting the accomplishment, they played amazing but to say they went on a murderous run is foolish, they didn't dominate they played well when it mattered

TheBlindFan

Sep 7, 2008
Except theyre ranked where theyre ranked because of horrible possession metrics, horrible offensive stats, horrible defensive stats, basically anything that Therrien doesnt stick his nose into.

Theres a reason Carey is a common frontrunner for the Hart despite being a goaltender, and its not just among habs fans.

whatever... at the end of the day, playoff not yet started. Just being there is a good start. What ever the stats are saying, at the end of the day, only the team that do more goal win. whatever the reason, whatever the potential.

Nynja*

whatever... at the end of the day, playoff not yet started. Just being there is a good start. What ever the stats are saying, at the end of the day, only the team that do more goal win. whatever the reason, whatever the potential.

"but da record" means nothing in the playoffs.

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
Hey look, 3rd best team in the League, The LA Kings are currently 17th in the league– and two points out of a playoff spot with a meagre 6-3-1 record over the last 10.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Hey look, 3rd best team in the League, The LA Kings are currently 17th in the league– and two points out of a playoff spot with a meagre 6-3-1 record over the last 10.

They are 1 point out with 1 game in hand.

They are chasing Calgary (the 3rd place in the Pacific division) not the Jets (2nd Wild card)

Nynja*

13 points out of 20 is "meager"? A .665 point pacing over 82 games is good for 106 points at the end of the season. How the **** is that "meager"?!? If that was supposed to be sarcasm, you forgot your :sarcasm: or italics. I get streaks happen and stuff, but calling 6-3-1 "meager" is just dumb considering there are three teams in the league right now playing over .665, and 6 teams playing over .650.

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
They are 1 point out with 1 game in hand.

They are chasing Calgary (the 3rd place in the Pacific division) not the Jets (2nd Wild card)

They are, and ultimately regular season record doesn't matter to the 16 teams that make the playoffs, but the point I was making is that LA isn't as good as people assume. They aren't suddenly picking up steam that's going to carry into the playoffs. They've been steadily a few points behind the final Wild Card seed for a month now. If they do squeak into the playoffs, which if I was a betting man I would put my money on it, they won't and shouldn't be a favourite. They're a bottom feeder this year, and might win a series but are nowhere near being favourites.

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
13 points out of 20 is "meager"? A .665 point pacing over 82 games is good for 106 points at the end of the season. How the **** is that "meager"?!?

Because 6-3-1 doesn't qualify as a some phenomenal streak that's gonna get them in the playoffs. Ahead of them, Winnipeg has gone 6-4-0, and Minnesota is 8-2-0. Of the 3 teams in front of them in their division, only Calgary has a worse record over the last 10 games– by one point. Not to mention Dallas, at 8-2-0 is directly behind them. I think it's too late for Dallas to make it in as they're 6 points behind, but event they're headed into the post season hotter than LA. The point I'm trying to make is that they're not even blowing past the teams directly in front of them, how are they supposed to be a cup favourite?

EDIT: I saw your edit. The "meager" was more in comparison to the teams directly around them. You'd expect a true contender to at least make a statement headed into the playoffs.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
They are, and ultimately regular season record doesn't matter to the 16 teams that make the playoffs, but the point I was making is that LA isn't as good as people assume. They aren't suddenly picking up steam that's going to carry into the playoffs. They've been steadily a few points behind the final Wild Card seed for a month now. If they do squeak into the playoffs, which if I was a betting man I would put my money on it, they won't and shouldn't be a favourite. They're a bottom feeder this year, and might win a series but are nowhere near being favourites.

They played solid hockey all year, the main reason they are currently where they are is their 14 OTL, they have been terrible in SO this year (2-7). If they had managed to win half of the their SO they would be sitting comfortably in a playoffs spot.

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
They played solid hockey all year, the main reason they are currently where they are is their 14 OTL, they have been terrible in SO this year (2-7). If they had managed to win half of the their SO they would be sitting comfortably in a playoffs spot.

Yes, but if Montreal had been semi decent on the power play, we'd probably be not only the best team in league, but flirting with history as one of the best regular season teams of all time. LA is good, and probably better than their record would indicate, but they're still overrated and nowhere near being a favourite.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad