Montreal fighting for a playoff spot

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Nashville hasn't been playing well lately. Their luck seems to running out and the reality of a 1-2 punch of Ribeiro-Fisher is sinking in.

rhinoshawarma

Nov 15, 2014
Can you name me 3 better teams than LA?

The standings don't mean much. As long as you make the playoffs, you're all in the same boat.

Well until last night LA wasn't in the playoffs. As much as I think they are a contender they should not be in the top 3 the way they've played this year. They're 3rd to last in Man games lost so it's not like they have much excuse.

I think LA is one of the most complete teams for the playoffs but NYR, Tampa and St Louis are playing much better hockey

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
What I found shocking is that the rangers have similar advanced stats as the habs, but no one is saying they will falter in the playoffs.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
What I found shocking is that the rangers have similar advanced stats as the habs, but no one is saying they will falter in the playoffs.

Which stats are those?

This is SAT% from nhl.com article posted here:

New York Rangers, 2013-14 52.4% (T-7th)
Montreal Canadiens, 2014-15 48.4% (23rd)

That is a big difference.

rhinoshawarma

Nov 15, 2014
You think we're playing like a top10 team right now? We've been bad the last few games, hence the low ranking.

Those rankings are not based on the standings.

Our last 7 games we've be in it the whole time.

We beat NYI, San Jose, Carolina and Florida, we were very competitive in the Tampa game although we lost and we should of won the Nashville game. Because of last night? Weak game by Tokarski.

How are we not top 10 in that span?

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
LA is overrated as hell. They're better than their standings show, but a top cup contender? I don't think so. Richards and Brown are shadows of their former selves, they don't have Voynov, etc. 3rd best team is a laughable stretch.

DenverHabsFan

Sep 9, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I thought the article does a good job of explaining that recent cup winners were puck possession teams and we're not. That's why we are so low in the rankings. I think it's a very fair assessment.

rhinoshawarma

Nov 15, 2014
Which stats are those?

This is SAT% from nhl.com article posted here:

New York Rangers, 2013-14 52.4% (T-7th)
Montreal Canadiens, 2014-15 48.4% (23rd)

That is a big difference.

That's NYR of 2013-2014. NYR are 49.9% (19th) this year compared to MTL 48.4% (23rd)

Nynja*

Well, the power rankings are in. And once again Habs are not in the top 5, not even in the top 10. THEY'RE 13th. On top of that, Nashville is 15th.

What the hell is this, I always thought the power rankings were terrible but how can it be so bad? Ottawa is 10th...

:help:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=759916&navid=nhl:topheads

Why are you so ******** about this exactly? At what point in the past month have the Therrien coached habs shown anything remotely close to being a top 3 team outside of Price?

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
LA is overrated as hell. They're better than their standings show, but a top cup contender? I don't think so. Richards and Brown are shadows of their former selves, they don't have Voynov, etc. 3rd best team is a laughable stretch.

They barely got to the finals and beat on the two weakest teams to ever come out of the East for both of their cups.

rhinoshawarma

Nov 15, 2014
Why are you so ******** about this exactly? At what point in the past month have the Therrien coached habs shown anything remotely close to being a top 3 team outside of Price?

I love the argument of "We're not a good team without Price". Well HOW DO THE PATRIOTS FARE WITHOUT BRADY?

He's part of the team and one of our best players stop excluding him when judging our team. We're a different team in the playoffs we showed that last year

rhinoshawarma

Nov 15, 2014
They barely got to the finals and beat on the two weakest teams to ever come out of the East for both of their cups.

They were 1 goal away from being eliminated by Chicago last year. That series was a coin toss

Sword

May 26, 2014
Overrated or not, they're still a much better team than the Habs. I see Sekera as an upgrade over Voynov. Richards is the best 4th line center in the league. As far as Brown is concerned, he's saving up those goals and best plays for the playoffs, something I wished Max Pac would do, I don't care how Browns plays in the regular season, he was a huge factor in their win in game 7 against the Hawks.

They deserved to win the cup last year, they friggin' took out the Sharks, the Ducks and the Hawks. I'd like to see the Habs take out the Bolts and the Rags this year, then we'll talk.

Last edited:

Nynja*

Well HOW DO THE PATRIOTS FARE WITHOUT BRADY?

You're comparing an offensive weapon to a defensive wall, which doesnt really work. There are way way way too many games where we have to win 1-0 or 2-1.

According to http://www.nfl.com/stats/team, the Pats seem to be a very good defensive team (if I'm reading that correctly), and a very very very good offensive team. Brady doesnt play defense, he has nothing to do with the defense, and theyre still very good.

The habs are NOT a good offensive team. Price has an extremely marginal influence on the offence from 200 feet away. He could have a better influence on the offence if Therrien would ditch these ****ing stupid "da safe gameplan, da safe decisions" mentality and take risks since he has THE BEST goaltender in the world on his team, but he doesnt.

And that is why the tsn power rankings list us so low.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Laughable. They stampeded to the final in 2012 and nearly swept the Devils, but they had a couple of off games where the reality of what they were about to do sunk in. Then they shook it off and pounded the Devils into oblivion in game 6. Easily the most dominant playoff performance by any Cup winner in recent memory.

In 2014 they had a murderous road to get to the final, going through the Sharks, Ducks, and Hawks. The Habs likely wouldn't have beaten any of those teams. They were not quite their 2012 selves, but handled the Rangers fairly easily, though that series could have gone another game.

And don't count them out. They're back to top spot in the 5-on-5 CF% chart, and up to 5th in CF%-Close.

rhinoshawarma

Nov 15, 2014
You're comparing an offensive weapon to a defensive wall, which doesnt really work. There are way way way too many games where we have to win 1-0 or 2-1.

According to http://www.nfl.com/stats/team, the Pats seem to be a very good defensive team (if I'm reading that correctly), and a very very very good offensive team. Brady doesnt play defense, he has nothing to do with the defense, and theyre still very good.

The habs are NOT a good offensive team. Price has an extremely marginal influence on the offence from 200 feet away. He could have a better influence on the offence if Therrien would ditch these ****ing stupid "da safe gameplan, da safe decisions" mentality and take risks since he has THE BEST goaltender in the world on his team, but he doesnt.

I wasn't comparing both players in what they do I am comparing them in how important they are to their team. I'm saying Price is a our best player and saying our team sucks without him is useless since he is part of the team.

I am not defending therrien here I am saying that we deserve better than 13th on the rankings. People keep bashing the Habs the last 3 years and where are we? top of the standings yet again, and we rely on our best players more than most teams but that does not make us in a spot to fight for the playoffs.

radicalcenter

Feb 10, 2013
i love the argument of "we're not a good team without price". well how do the patriots fare without brady?

he's part of the team and one of our best players stop excluding him when judging our team. We're a different team in the playoffs we showed that last year

11-5

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005

Is it the game plans or the players who execute them?

rhinoshawarma

Nov 15, 2014
Laughable. They stampeded to the final in 2012 and nearly swept the Devils, but they had a couple of off games where the reality of what they were about to do sunk in. Then they shook it off and pounded the Devils into oblivion in game 6. Easily the most dominant playoff performance by any Cup winner in recent memory.

In 2014 they had a murderous road to get to the final, going through the Sharks, Ducks, and Hawks. The Habs likely wouldn't have beaten any of those teams. They were not quite their 2012 selves, but handled the Rangers fairly easily, though that series could have gone another game.

And don't count them out. They're back to top spot in the 5-on-5 CF% chart, and up to 5th in CF%-Close.

Murderous? Sharks we're up 3-0 in the series before chocking, Ducks took the Kings to 7 games, the Hawks were 1 goal away from another cup final.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad