Montreal fans want to sign Petry. 5.5-6 million

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
The bungling of the Petry situation will be a millstone around MacT's neck for a long time, but by the same token this fanbase would've gone nuts if the Oilers had committed that amount of money to Petry as we knew him a year ago.

That's a "home run" type deal that a player fortunate enough to be in his situation is able to get as a UFA in what is becoming a recurring trend...another weak UFA class as all the "real" dmen get locked up long term by the teams that have them.

Good on Montreal for getting the deal done and congrats to Petry for getting a contract that will essentially set him up for life if he doesn't squander it, but Montreal can only do a deal like this for who is essentially a #3-4 dman because they go cheap on their forwards...only 3 forwards have a cap hit of 4M or higher as of today, and no forwards are slated to have a cap hit higher than 5M for 15/16.

They go cheap on their forwards so they can afford the luxury of spending over 32M in cap hit for their top 4 dmen and #1 goalie.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
This drives me crazy. If we handed Petry a 6 year contract last year, fans would be all like "He needs to prove himself first". Then when they make a guy prove himself, it's like "They should have locked them up when they had a chance." Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Also, Montreal isn't some amazing franchise in this regard. Montreal screwed around Subban so hard that he missed the start of a season. Yet, somehow they are geniuses?

I don't think anyone was saying to hand Petry a 6 year contract (4 would have been nice), obviously there are some fans that thought Petry was not even a #5 dman, others thought he was a top four dman all day long on any team. You won't find too many teams that don't lock up a player of his calibre past their UFA year, what more did Petry have to prove to show he was worth more than Nikitin who they just paid 4.5 mil a year, while Petry played much tougher minutes. You don't think that players notice this? I can't even understand how you pull out the "damned if you do, damned if you don't" card. It was terrible management of our best dman asset by a rookie GM. We likely could have locked Petry up at 4.5 x 4 instead of the 1 year showme the braintrust gave him, while giving Ference and Nikitin contracts.

No matter what they did with Subban, he was a RFA and they didn't lose the asset, big difference and not comparable.

I would say the Petry contract is a bit high, I would say 4.5 is on the money, but since its 6 years, by year 3 and the way the cap is going up, it may look great. Petry was Montreal's second best dman in the playoffs and played over 20 minutes a night.

Wait till we have to replace him and see what we pay.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I don't think anyone was saying to hand Petry a 6 year contract (4 would have been nice), obviously there are some fans that thought Petry was not even a #5 dman, others thought he was a top four dman all day long on any team. You won't find too many teams that don't lock up a player of his calibre past their UFA year, what more did Petry have to prove to show he was worth more than Nikitin who they just paid 4.5 mil a year, while Petry played much tougher minutes. You don't think that players notice this? I can't even understand how you pull out the "damned if you do, damned if you don't" card. It was terrible management of our best dman asset by a rookie GM. We likely could have locked Petry up at 4.5 x 4 instead of the 1 year showme the braintrust gave him, while giving Ference and Nikitin contracts.

No matter what they did with Subban, he was a RFA and they didn't lose the asset, big difference and not comparable.

I would say the Petry contract is a bit high, I would say 4.5 is on the money, but since its 6 years, by year 3 and the way the cap is going up, it may look great. Petry was Montreal's second best dman in the playoffs and played over 20 minutes a night.

Wait till we have to replace him and see what we pay.
teams give up players like Petry all the time.

Look at the FA crop just this year. There's Franson and Sekera. Niskanen last year. There's probably a lot more. These types often re-sign but it's not uncommon that they test free agency and that their teams don't want to pay full price (or that the player wants to leave).

The handling of Petry was most definitely a screw up by management, and the best indicator of this is that Petry himself has a lot of animosity for our organization. That was clear in his comments after re-signing in Montreal. I have my doubts that our dream deal was really on the table though.

We can find a Petry replacement. He's not so good a player that it will be difficult either.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015

Look at the FA crop just this year. There's Franson and Sekera. Niskanen last year. There's probably a lot more. These types often re-sign but it's not uncommon that they test free agency and that their teams don't want to pay full price (or that the player wants to leave).

The handling of Petry was most definitely a screw up by management, and the best indicator of this is that Petry himself has a lot of animosity for our organization. That was clear in his comments after re-signing in Montreal. I have my doubts that our dream deal was really on the table though.

We can find a Petry replacement. He's not so good a player that it will be difficult either.

I think the issue is that we didn't have to be in the position to pay a free agent premium to replace him if we didn't undervalue him in the first place.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Missed it, what did he say?

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
I think the issue is that we didn't have to be in the position to pay a free agent premium to replace him if we didn't undervalue him in the first place.

OR it's simply that he had no interest in staying with the Oil unless they paid him the money he's now getting from the Habs.

He isn't worth what Montreal is paying him and if that's what he wanted to stay with the Oilers, good riddance.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.

I hope you are right, but it won't come cheap if we find it. My point was if handled properly, we could have had him much cheaper. There is always different circumstances to players leaving, but it is rare that an asset of that caliber is left to walk for basically nothing.

Toronto decided to rebuild by moving Franson for a first rounder, Sekera received a first rounder and a prospect in return, Buffalo received Mccain and a 35th overall for Sekara. We didn't get much, a late second rounder, plus a late 4th. Who knows what happened in the Niskanen situation, it seems weird.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Would you take him back for 5.5 per x 6 years? I have to be honest ... I wouldn't.

I'd rather have Ehrhoff at the same 5-5.5 x 3 years.

Debonair

PS4
Jul 20, 2004
I sure wouldn't want him back at that price. However, if the rumour was true that we could have had him 3x3.5M then that really bites.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Missed it, what did he say?

Well I'm assuming a little of it, but the exact quote is something like how coming to montreal was eye opening in how they treat their players. It was a tweet that was taken down later I think. Yet another ex-Oiler bashing the org, and I do blame the org.

Others speculated that he meant that he was saying that on the Oilers some players are like 'chosen ones' while others like him were routinely treated like dirt. The obvious answer would be the wonder kids, but I think he could be talking about someone like Klefbom, who MacT always drools over and has picked him as a future top liner right away it seems, and even brought Klefbom in to practice with the Oilers before he could even play with us. Petry always had to prove himself over and over again.

Or it's just about money. He wanted big dollars from the Oilers, and guys like Hall and RNH find it easily while he scrapes for every penny. I think this is the case, because I remember Stauffer once saying that he sees the team giving up money for stars but part of that is a philosophy that we can't pay top dollar for depth players. Petry is a depth player. Some teams can do it. Our team can't. Not in a few years. So I'm assuming that Stauffer is just echoing what he knows from talking to guys like MacT and Lowe

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I sure wouldn't want him back at that price. However, if the rumour was true that we could have had him 3x3.5M then that really bites.

Well you can think of it this way -- we probably don't have McDavid right now if we had kept Petry down the stretch and picked up maybe 6 meaningless extra points.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

There's ONE dman available this summer (Sekera) who's definitely an upgrade on Petry, and a bunch of guys who may or may not be (Green, Martin, etc). He's not that easy to replace, and on top of that, even when we had Petry, we needed another dman or two better than him.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Scary to think that hypothetically adding a 5.5 million dollar D man to the current roster might only make the marginal difference Petry did.

This is the crux of the Petry deal as far as I'm concerned. In just a few short years, a guy like Petry, and let's be honest, he's a good 4th and a decent 3rd, is paid the same amount as one of the best defensemen in the world (Duncan Keith).

What this essentially means is that a guy like Mike Green will get paid at least 7.5 this offseason, possibly even 8 mil. If the Oilers ended up signing Green, they would still need to add a Petry caliber defensman to make their blueline respectable. So add at least another 5.5 to the blue line, making a total of at least 13 million on just two defensemen, one of whom isn't even a legitimate top pairing dman.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

Every one is nailing MacT to the cross on this one, but it is just a rumour. Who knows. Petry might have been demanding big bucks from day one.

I wouldn't want him at that contract, simple as that.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Every one is nailing MacT to the cross on this one, but it is just a rumour. Who knows. Petry might have been demanding big bucks from day one.

Well said.

The contract he just signed is horrendous. The 3 years at 3.5M is a big if. If he would have signed it sure, but why would he give up two years of unrestricted free agency?

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Well said.

The contract he just signed is horrendous. The 3 years at 3.5M is a big if. If he would have signed it sure, but why would he give up two years of unrestricted free agency?

ya, the crazy part is Petry at 3.5 for 3 years wouldn't even be a great contract, it would be ok. And that is IF the rumours are true. Who knows

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006

I doubt it. Petry signed two very reasonable bridge deals previous to this contract.

If he was after the money he could have at least filed for arbitration at some point.

TheBrew

Mar 9, 2003
This is the crux of the Petry deal as far as I'm concerned. In just a few short years, a guy like Petry, and let's be honest, he's a good 4th and a decent 3rd, is paid the same amount as one of the best defensemen in the world (Duncan Keith).
Duncan Keith has a cap hit of 5.5, but i think he has been paid over 8 million per year salary for the past 5 years.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Petry isn't worth 5.5 mill and Subban is def not worth 9 million or whatever ridiculous amount he's getting. But now Montreal is stuck with both.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Duncan Keith has a cap hit of 5.5, but i think he has been paid over 8 million per year salary for the past 5 years.

Yep, it was significantly front loaded. Chicago got away with contracts to both Keith and Hossa that wouldn't be allowed today, and they'll reap the benefits for years to come.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I'd still happily have him back at 5.5. Ideally he's in the 4.5-5 range, but I'd rather overpay Petry by a million than overpay Nikitin by 3 or say Franson by 2+

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I'd still happily have him back at 5.5. Ideally he's in the 4.5-5 range, but I'd rather overpay Petry by a million than overpay Nikitin by 3 or say Franson by 2+

Yup.

7.5% of next year's projected cap to lock down a defenseman that would still be far and away the best on the team is nothing.

People are greatly underestimating the effect of a rising salary cap too. The deal will just keep getting better and better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad