Montreal fans want to sign Petry. 5.5-6 million

Status
Not open for further replies.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Good deal for both sides. Petry is a RHS Coburn in my estimation and a rock for the 2nd pair, if he ever learnt how to use his shot more i'd say he could be like a more defensive Edler.

He actually has a hard shot, I think it was all confidence, no one in Oiler land ever showed confidence in him....MacT's dumbass show me contract etc.

Petry will thrive in Montreal, he looked like a real #3 playing for them and he is still only 27.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
He would have easily got more in UFA.

Good deal for the Habs.

Must be nice to have a right-handed #1 and #3 to anchor your top two pairs.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Good for him. I also look forward to seeing how he plays when there isn't a contract on the line.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Am I the only one that feels like they are on crazy pills? Jeff Petry isn't even close to a 5.5M player, especially for 6 freaking years. Id rather suffer through 1 year with a plug like Nikitin and spend our money on a real dman. The fans of Montreal all have shiny toy syndrome and are going to regret this contract in 2 years when they realize that he just lets players walk right into the slot.

Also, let's not pretend that Petry was some kind of top pairing guy that helped lead our team. Petry was so quiet in that dressing room that he might as well be invisible. For a guy that's been with the organization for 8 years, you would think he could be a leader. No, instead he takes games off. Also, he is a 20-25 point defenceman. He sucks on the powerplay and isn't exactly a work beater on the PK. Sure, he can eat minutes but he isn't a top pairing guy.

Last edited:

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
He actually has a hard shot, I think it was all confidence, no one in Oiler land ever showed confidence in him....MacT's dumbass show me contract etc.

This drives me crazy. If we handed Petry a 6 year contract last year, fans would be all like "He needs to prove himself first". Then when they make a guy prove himself, it's like "They should have locked them up when they had a chance." Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Also, Montreal isn't some amazing franchise in this regard. Montreal screwed around Subban so hard that he missed the start of a season. Yet, somehow they are geniuses?

UglyStupidAds

Sep 17, 2005
Edmonton
Taylor Hall says hello...

Here are some defencemen making $5M or more that I would compare to Jeff Petry

Andrew MacDonald
Dennis Wideman
Brooks Orpiks
Zach Bogosian
Paul Martin
Mark Streit (37 years old!)
Tobias Enstrom
Andrei Markov

Given the market and his age I don't think it's unreasonable to expect Jeff Petry to be a $5M defenceman next year.

I even undersold on Petry...while most of the rest of you were scoffing at it. And he even took a discount!

Ragss

Jul 5, 2007
Scary to think that hypothetically adding a 5.5 million dollar D man to the current roster might only make the marginal difference Petry did.

Man Purse

Dec 16, 2010
wind river valley
with all the interesting developments on Petry

it's important to recall that fateful June `14 , Petry asked for 3.5 x 3 (Smid type dollars) and MacT balked and offered 3.1 x 2, settling on the "challenge" deal 3.1 x 1 and FA

and look at what has happened to our 06' 2nd rounder with 295 games played, that we squandered

'it's not MacT! it's NOT MacT!! it's REAK!'

Man Purse

Dec 16, 2010
wind river valley
He would have easily got more in UFA.

Good deal for the Habs.

Must be nice to have a right-handed #1 and #3 to anchor your top two pairs.

Yes for sure

and if you do a quick review of Petry's previous 2 NHL contracts it's evident that he never really haggles, and lands close to the mark with ease

Petry's agent is BOSSSS

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
MacT really should have got them to throw in a conditional pick if they signed him.. huge oversight on his part. Good thing he is no longer the GM

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Scary to think that hypothetically adding a 5.5 million dollar D man to the current roster might only make the marginal difference Petry did.

Yep. And Bergevin basically pulled a Kevin Lowe school of overpaying. Salaries are escalating once again:laugh:

And to think 2nd pairing with below average offense for 6 years at 5.5M is considered a discount...

AJGass4

Aug 19, 2011
Does anyone in here remember complaining about Petry being soft and not trying at all some nights?

I DO!

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Am I the only one that feels like they are on crazy pills? Jeff Petry isn't even close to a 5.5M player, especially for 6 freaking years. Id rather suffer through 1 year with a plug like Nikitin and spend our money on a real dman. The fans of Montreal all have shiny toy syndrome and are going to regret this contract in 2 years when they realize that he just lets players walk right into the slot.

Also, let's not pretend that Petry was some kind of top pairing guy that helped lead our team. Petry was so quiet in that dressing room that he might as well be invisible. For a guy that's been with the organization for 8 years, you would think he could be a leader. No, instead he takes games off. Also, he is a 20-25 point defenceman. He sucks on the powerplay and isn't exactly a work beater on the PK. Sure, he can eat minutes but he isn't a top pairing guy.

No you are not the only one questioning the Petry deal. Montreal should be in for some interesting times this summer. Four players (Subban/Markov/Petry/Price) account for 36% of their cap space next season. Gotta go cheap at forward. Can they even sign Galchenyuk?

Awesome! See my avatar.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
This drives me crazy. If we handed Petry a 6 year contract last year, fans would be all like "He needs to prove himself first". Then when they make a guy prove himself, it's like "They should have locked them up when they had a chance." Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Oh they would have said a lot worse than that.
GDTs and PGTs have been full of (unwarranted imo) Petry bashing for several seasons now.
I'm sure I've never seen him get as much love as he's getting in this thread.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Just normal horrible use of resources by this hockey team.

Once again another X player tosses dirt on how this team has run things for years.

The old 'rental player' issue is once again over played. Guys that get traded to teams, if treated well and with a bit of success often resign with that team.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

Petry will thrive in Montreal, he looked like a real #3 playing for them and he is still only 27.

I know he's got a cannon but he has issues hitting the net and getting it off.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Still a poor contract. I know Montreal had to keep him but 5.5 is a lot. They need to sign some scorers otherwise they'll just be playoff afterthoughts again. They're just not deep enough up front. They have almost 25 million tied up in their top 4 D.

SLURVE

Oct 20, 2011
I would have signed Petry for 5.5 maybe not for 6 yrs but he was heading into UFA. So for 5.5 mil, Montreal got a good contract. Everybody played horrible last yr under Eakins incl Petry. Petry found a home and a better coach. You can blame Ryan Whitney for losing his number 1 position due to injuries and Petry was fast tracked into his role as number 1 through numerous coaching musical chairs for the Oilers. He was rushed during his development at 23 yrs old as a number 1 just like Justin Schultz was_not good, Oilers. Hey we still have Nikitin for 4.5m and he is a number 5 or 6 dman.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
with all the interesting developments on Petry

it's important to recall that fateful June `14 , Petry asked for 3.5 x 3 (Smid type dollars) and MacT balked and offered 3.1 x 2, settling on the "challenge" deal 3.1 x 1 and FA

and look at what has happened to our 06' 2nd rounder with 295 games played, that we squandered

What he did to our defence is reason number two on the list of why we needed a new gm. Kicking Petry to the curb by offering more money to Nikitin and handing the Norris trophy to Schultz would be enough to seriously question his abilities especially since it was following the season where he went with the Belov - Grebeshkov experiment. There are plenty of rumours of Petry willing to take longer deals with much smaller dollar values than what he got when he signed in Montreal but even if they are not true agreeing to a one year deal that took him to UFA status was just stupid. The draft picks we got for him are nowhere close to his value and that is on MacT.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I really can't fathom the idea that MacT gave Petry a one-year deal to earliest UFA status as a "challenge contact". No one can possibly be that stupid.

I bet it was an ultimatum from Petry and his agent to either give the one year contract, or trade his rights then and there in the summer of 2014. MacT spun it, laughably, in an attempt to save face in the midst of effectively losing his #1 d-man for peanuts.

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
I was so excited for MacT to be the GM. I liked him as a coach. But man has he really set this rebuild back 2-3years. Unless of course you account that we lucked into Mcdavid partly because MacT made us so terrible. Man MacT and Klowe should be so thankful that we won the draft or the pitchforks would still be out for these two bafoons.

Auguste McEscoffier

Oct 20, 2009
Can't blame Mac for trading him. I've always gotten the impression he wasn't committed to the city of Edmonton. Had he wanted to sign a long-term contract, he probably would have signed it when offered.

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick

Good luck in getting a "Real" DMan through free agency without paying through the nose for one, if there will actually be one available. DMen like Orpik get overpaid because the market is usually thin on "Real" DMen, that's why the Habs slightly overpaid for the RH Petry, who was desperately needed by the club. The Habs normally have to overpay players due to the high taxes in Quebec. Petry wasn't signed to be a top pairing guy, but he did play like one in the playoffs. Time will tell if he can keep his play up. He seems like a real nice guy, I hope he does.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
This contract should be a wake up call for the people who have fantasies of trading for Seabrook and signing him to a $6M extension.

Be prepared to pay out the nose for any defenseman that Chia acquires. That's just how the league is now.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Still a poor contract. I know Montreal had to keep him but 5.5 is a lot. They need to sign some scorers otherwise they'll just be playoff afterthoughts again. They're just not deep enough up front. They have almost 25 million tied up in their top 4 D.

They scored 221 goals last year same as the Crosby/Malkin-led Penguins and only 8 goals fewer than the SCF finalist Blackhawks. The Oilers, with all their young scoring talent, scored 198. It's not just about how much you score, it's about what you give up and having a great goaltender and solid D can make a big difference there. Now, I think they do need some better depth, but I also think a lot of their scoring woes can be attributed to coaching. Therrien likes his team to play a low-event style, which is going to suppress offense. As for Petry, always liked him as an Oiler and the contract is about right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad