Montreal fans want to sign Petry. 5.5-6 million

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008
6 million for a #3 dman? Doesn't seem like smart cap management. Then again, what other dmen would he be comparable to?

OnTheBrink

Apr 19, 2013
Airdrie
6 million for a #3 dman? Doesn't seem like smart cap management. Then again, what other dmen would he be comparable to?

Braun… very similar player's IMO, he is who I have been saying the Oiler's should be trading for this summer. His contract is 3.8m for 4 more years, FYI.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I wouldn't pay a penny over 5 million for him. He is not a top pairing defenseman

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
6M seems about right to sign a UFA #3 D man who is only 27. If he makes it to UFA some GM will give him that for sure

Totally worth a 2nd in trade! WTG MacT!!!:thumbu:

smackdaddy

x – Edmonton
Nov 24, 2006
B.C.
6M seems about right to sign a UFA #3 D man who is only 27. If he makes it to UFA some GM will give him that for sure

Mact definitely screwed up the pertry signing for sure, but if he's seriously gonna ask for 6m then wow glad we moved him while we still got something

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yeah but Clarkson got 5.5M to Hall's 6M for example. Impossible to gauge a player's offseason salary by other player salaries. If the demand and desperation is high enough, 6M is possible for Petry.

GMs aren't very smart. Petry's good but 6 million? No way.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
well, we didn't hesistate to pay a small, dangling, first line winger 6mil x 6 years. I know a lot of you probably think Eberle is more valuable than a #3 Dman entering his prime. But, if these playoffs are any indication, scorers are easily shutdown. its defenders that win.

I guess that's the big question: how valuable is a #3 Dman? Remember, a #3 dman is still top 100 in the world.

I say Petry is easily worth 5.5 x 5

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Petry was eating a lot of minutes, even some of Markov's I think.

People in Edmonton can't recognize a good D-man. You can build around a guy like Petry. He'll never be a Subban, but if you've got a Subban - he can round out that top pair. He is very consistent and lacking in no areas. Would be nice if he was elite offensively, but if he was he would be Drew Doughty and that would cost league max.

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009

Worth it if he really is looking for 6 million. The issue is that we could have had him probably for 4.5-5x4 years last summer.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
6 million does seem like way too much, but I think his play has improved in Montreal.

You kidding me? He hasn't improved at all. We just never used him properly. He was able to be a shutdown guy and that's how we used him while he was in Edmonton.

When Nelson came in he let Petry play more of a PMD role and he looked way the hell better.

Is he worth 6M per season? Probably not. But I'd sign him for 6M in an instant. Way the hell better than Dion@ 7m per season!

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
$6m for Petry? Not a chance in hell. I wouldn't give 5. He's a #3 and you don't pay that much to that type of player without ending up with cap issues.
It would have been nice to keep him but at a max of $4.5. I have a feeling he was asking for north of $5m in negotiations on a long term, which is why he ended up with a 1 year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad