Proposal: Montreal-Edmonton

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
I don’t know. Tavares changes everything. Even if we give him 10.5M/years with Plakanec off the book we would still have ~6M + whatever the cap increase is. With Danault’s raise ~2.5M more, we would have what? 8M and only one hole to fill (2C) and maybe a top 4 D with the following assets to trade:

- Pacioretty (4.5M)
- Shaw (3.9M)
- 1st round pick
- 3x second round pick
- Whatever the return for Plekanec is
I used JT at 11, cap going to 80, Max off the books and replaced by elc.
Most of Plek's money already is going to Price (4 mil)

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
But what if Drouin gets you that high-end young true 1C??
So far his track record in his first 4 yrs is: 30 pts, 10 pts and sent home, 50 pts and in line for 40 this year.
Yeah he could get 70 somewhere else. But who cares if you have what you wanted to help Galchenyuk and form that top-end duo on a true first line.

We are mostly discussing deals for Max P. but maybe getting a 1C and keeping Max P is an option too.

I'm confused of the point your making. I'm sure it's my fault as I'm really tired right now.

EDIT: Oh, you're talking about if Drouin can return a better center than RNH, I believe. Yeah, that's why I said I would keep him and hope he develops into a 65+ point forward, then you can probably trade him for a better center, though getting top-end centers isn't easy. But it's possible.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
And we just paid Hall for Larsson. Does that mean Larsson has that same value? Not at all. So while I can identify with your sentiments, his value to other teams would remain irrelevant regarding the price you paid for him. Anyway, I think it would be a good trade for both, and I think Nuge would be a great center for you guys, putting up 55 upwards of 60 points most seasons (he's on pace for 56 points, which he's done twice before; maybe he puts up more in the East; who knows?) while being very, very good defensively. And I was speaking as more of a 1-for-1 trade without Max -- some smaller pieces would need to be added, but just as the basis of a trade.

But again, I can sympathize with not wanting to trade Drouin so soon; I would be hesitant, too, and hope he develops to his top potential for the Habs, which is a first line forward (no guarantees, but I think he has that potential). So yeah, realistically this deal couldn't happen any time soon, if ever. Just seems good to me in theory, but that doesn't mean a heck of a lot in reality.

I wasn’t talking about the value of the players. Maybe RNH has a bigger trade value, maybe not. Maybe he puts up more points than Drouin as well this year. All this is irrelevant (at least to me and I bet to habs management as well). He’s a local boy, he’s young, has tons of talent and is signed on a excellent contract. I see no reason to trade him unless the return is overwhelming.

Again, just to be clear, it has nothing to do with RNH, his value or even his talent. It’s about Drouin and what he means to us.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
I'm confused of the point your making. I'm sure it's my fault as I'm really tired right now.
No maybe its me. Just doubted the maths on signing JT.
Tried to find true 1C and stated maybe if Max doesnt land one then why not try Drouin. He might to the BSchenn thing elsewhere but you would get the true 1c as JD value is way better than MP.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
No maybe its me. Just doubted the maths on signing JT.
Tried to find true 1C and stated maybe if Max doesnt land one then why not try Drouin. He might to the BSchenn thing elsewhere but you would get the true 1c as JD value is way better than MP.

Yeah, I amended my post. I'm just tired as hell right now. I'd keep JD and hope he puts up a huge year next season and you can lure a top line C if you're still in bad need of a C. Those centers aren't that easy to acquire, though -- RNH might be your best option as an available center option who wont cost a fortune to acquire for the foreseeable future, and I could see Chia trading him while he's having a good season for a cheaper player. Not saying I'd even agree with it, but just seems to be his thing, and I think JD would be a good gamble to play with McDavid. Anyway, just thought I'd throw the idea of that trade out there, but yeah it's not gonna happen.

Trading Max to a contender at the TDL for a young C with high potential is probably the best path for the Habs, or something like that.

Last edited:

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I wasn’t talking about the value of the players. Maybe RNH has a bigger trade value, maybe not. Maybe he puts up more points than Drouin as well this year. All this is irrelevant (at least to me and I bet to habs management as well). He’s a local boy, he’s young, has tons of talent and is signed on a excellent contract. I see no reason to trade him unless the return is overwhelming.

Again, just to be clear, it has nothing to do with RNH, his value or even his talent. It’s about Drouin and what he means to us.

I understand completely. We'd be loathe to trade Larsson right now, too, and hope he returns to last year's form (or better). So there's a lot of parallels between the two -- and the trades that happened therein -- and Oiler fans can empathize/sympathize.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Habs trade
Drouin
Pacioretty
Poehling

EDM trades
RNH
Pool Party
Khaira

Edmonton gets fast on the wings, Habs finally get a top 6 C and a prospect who can replace Patch in the future.

Drouin is crashing and burning this year. Might never catch up to that 5.5M salary.
Pacioretty has one year left before UFA.
Not much value coming from Montreal...at all.
Oilers don't give up Puljujarvi alone for all 3 pieces

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
LoL at everyone talking about Drouin only being 22 and still young!!!!

People realize Nuge is only 24 and they are exactly 2 years apart???

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Trading Drouin for RNH is a massive downgrade for the Habs if Drouin is heading to Edmonton then Habs are looking for a much better offer then this.

Way overvaluing Drouin.

Tbay groomed him for a trade by playing him with superstars. Montreal swallowed it hook, line and sinker and fleeced Montreal for their future 1D.
They're doing the same thing this year with Braydon Point and Yanni Gourdi

Reactions: Dan Kelly

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
LoL at everyone talking about Drouin only being 22 and still young!!!!

People realize Nuge is only 24 and they are exactly 2 years apart???

Everyone forgets that. Absolutely everyone.

I had a Habs fan in another thread tell me he wouldn't trade Galchenyuk for RNH straight up because Galchenyuk was much younger and had much higher potential.

The two players were born 10 months apart, wtf are you talking about...

Reactions: Dan Kelly

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Way overvaluing Drouin.

Tbay groomed him for a trade by playing him with superstars. Montreal swallowed it hook, line and sinker and fleeced Montreal for their future 1D.
They're doing the same thing this year with Braydon Point and Yanni Gourdi

Im pretty sure I remember reading he played mostly 3rd line with some time on the 2nd PP.....

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
...?

...?

I'm sorry, Drouin >>>> RNH? Based on him having a third of the goals of RNH this year? 12 fewer points? A much worse career PPG? RNH actually being a centre instead of dressed up as one for Halloween and no ones had the heart to tell Montreal's coaches that Halloween was three months ago?

No sir. RNH is the better player. Drouin is hopes, dreams, flash, a Francophone name, and a LW shoved into a centre's role.

If it were Drouin on the wing vs RNH at center, it's close. Both at center though, RNH takes it easily.

Everyone forgets that. Absolutely everyone.

I had a Habs fan in another thread tell me he wouldn't trade Galchenyuk for RNH straight up because Galchenyuk was much younger and had much higher potential.

The two players were born 10 months apart, wtf are you talking about...

I keep thinking he's closer to 26. I still can't believe Gagner is only 28.

Stripper

Mar 4, 2013
Counter productive for Montreal... They need to keep their "promising" prospects and only trade Pacioretty... Why would they trade Drouin this early too? Makes no sense...

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Im pretty sure I remember reading he played mostly 3rd line with some time on the 2nd PP.....

" some time on the 2nd PP"?
Funny.
The dude had 50% of his points on the PP
With so much PP time and 18 mins a night you call him a 3rd liner?
You guys got fleeced. Yzerman pumped up Drouin and took Canadiens to the cleaners

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Habs trade
Drouin
Pacioretty
Poehling

EDM trades
RNH
Pool Party
Khaira

Edmonton gets fast on the wings, Habs finally get a top 6 C and a prospect who can replace Patch in the future.
Your definitely not a Habs fan. This is just bad for the Habs and i'm not knocking the Oiler players involved when i say that.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I'd do 1st rounder (top 5 protected) + Drouin for Hopkins, but not of the other pieces really interest me.

Drouin-McDavid
Lucic-Drai

Looks like fun.
I'd consider that if the unprotected 1st comes from the Oilers .Not the Habs.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I'd consider that if the unprotected 1st comes from the Oilers .Not the Habs.

Johnathan Drouin has a career PPG of .567 and is 201 games into his career.

Sam Gagner, three seasons into his career (or 223 games) had a career PPG of .587.

I know the Habs paid a high price for him, giving up their best prospect, and I know you're trying to make a point, but right now RNH on his own for Drouin is an overpayment. An unprotected first from a lottery team is also an overpayment.

RNH and an unprotected first for Drouin? Please. Take a step away from the keyboard or mobile device and spend the afternoon in quiet contemplation. Find somewhere peaceful, find a recording of some Tibetan monks chanting, maybe burn some incense. Align your chakras, try some yoga. Come back to this thread when you've achieved zen.

Reactions: thadd and yababy

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
" some time on the 2nd PP"?
Funny.
The dude had 50% of his points on the PP
With so much PP time and 18 mins a night you call him a 3rd liner?
You guys got fleeced. Yzerman pumped up Drouin and took Canadiens to the cleaners

wait one minute.....

you mean to tell me that playing with better players will make a guy get more points??? HOLY MOLY I never thought of that.

The Habs did not get "fleeced' like you say, time will tell on that one. They traded their best asset for a really good player who will help in the future once he has decent players to play with.

The fact is that The Habs have a winger playing center and a center playing wing. It affects both players production

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
wait one minute.....

you mean to tell me that playing with better players will make a guy get more points??? HOLY MOLY I never thought of that.

The Habs did not get "fleeced' like you say, time will tell on that one. They traded their best asset for a really good player who will help in the future once he has decent players to play with.

The fact is that The Habs have a winger playing center and a center playing wing. It affects both players production
Yep got to wait a few years.
But that stuff about good teams = more pts is not that simple. Look at Galchenyuk's best season. Pretty sure it was during the Price injury season that did not go very well. Top players on lousy teams, good players on stacked teams, not an automatic equation.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
wait one minute.....

Habs traded a 1D for a 1-2winger

Last edited:

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Johnathan Drouin has a career PPG of .567 and is 201 games into his career.

Sam Gagner, three seasons into his career (or 223 games) had a career PPG of .587.

I know the Habs paid a high price for him, giving up their best prospect, and I know you're trying to make a point, but right now RNH on his own for Drouin is an overpayment. An unprotected first from a lottery team is also an overpayment.

RNH and an unprotected first for Drouin? Please. Take a step away from the keyboard or mobile device and spend the afternoon in quiet contemplation. Find somewhere peaceful, find a recording of some Tibetan monks chanting, maybe burn some incense. Align your chakras, try some yoga. Come back to this thread when you've achieved zen.
Zen is back. No G.M. in his right mind would offer up Drouin and unprotected first for RNH. Never in the universe is a 2nd line center worth that. You keep RNH and we'll gladly hang on to our player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad