Proposal: Montreal-Edmonton

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I'd do 1st rounder (top 5 protected) + Drouin for Hopkins, but not of the other pieces really interest me.

Drouin-McDavid
Lucic-Drai

Looks like fun.

And I’d do Pacioretty for McDavid + first (top 5 protected). Doesn’t mean it has any chance to happen.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Drouin is younger, cheaper, has a ton of upside and we invested a lot in him as you know. RNH is the better player at the moment and we are in need of a top 6 C for sure but this won't be at the expense of Drouin. Another big no-go here is that we would need to give up Poehling in the process who, if things go well, could very well become a RNH level centre.
Drouin doesn't have that upside anymore. He's already 22 and he's destined to Be a mediocre top-6 player.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
And I’d do Pacioretty for McDavid + first (top 5 protected). Doesn’t mean it has any chance to happen.

Seriously? I thought you guys needed another quality center with Plekanec getting get there in age. Regardless, it was a serious proposal.

Drouin is tons of fun to watch, but his toolbox will never be anything compared to Hopkins', who plays in all situations and has become Edmonton's 2nd best forward. Drai will likely turn out to be the better player over the next 2 years.

2nd + Drouin + Gallagher wouldn't break Edmonton's back either, but wouldn't be quite as attractive for us in the long run.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Drouin doesn't have that upside anymore. He's already 22 and he's destined to Be a mediocre top-6 player.

Drouin has all the tools to be an offensive force in this league. His skill level is unreal but he's yet to figure out how to use those skills in the most effective way.

But it's good that you know that as he's 22 already, there's no way he'll ever figure it out so we can now trade him for scraps, thanks.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Drouin has all the tools to be an offensive force in this league. His skill level is unreal but he's yet to figure out how to use those skills in the most effective way.

But it's good that you know that as he's 22 already, there's no way he'll ever figure it out so we can now trade him for scraps, thanks.
well bergevin is the gm, scraps may be an overpayment

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Seriously? I thought you guys needed another quality center with Plekanec getting get there in age. Regardless, it was a serious proposal.

Drouin is tons of fun to watch, but his toolbox will never be anything compared to Hopkins', who plays in all situations and has become Edmonton's 2nd best forward. Drai will likely turn out to be the better player over the next 2 years.

2nd + Drouin + Gallagher wouldn't break Edmonton's back either, but wouldn't be quite as attractive for us in the long run.

Yes but not at the expense of Drouin. As I said, we just acquired him for what is to be a really solid D for years to come. As much as I’d love to have RNH, I wouldn’t sacrifice Drouin and I’m sure most habs fan and management feels the same.

Personally, I think Bergevin stand still until he knows for sure what Tavares intention are. That fact that he’s holding out on a retool or hasn’t spent is 10M of free cap space yet makes me think he has hope. There’s also going to be a couple of decent C available on July 1st so if the Tavares plan fails we still have a couple of B and C plans.

Reactions: thadd

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Yes but not at the expense of Drouin. As I said, we just acquired him for what is to be a really solid D for years to come. As much as I’d love to have RNH, I wouldn’t sacrifice Drouin and I’m sure most habs fan and management feels the same.

Personally, I think Bergevin stand still until he knows for sure what Tavares intention are. That fact that he’s holding out on a retool or hasn’t spent is 10M of free cap space yet makes me think he has hope. There’s also going to be a couple of decent C available on July 1st so if the Tavares plan fails we still have a couple of B and C plans.

I don't think the Habs should be investing in UFAs right now. This organization needs to properly build the future and not make any long-term panic acquisitions despite starving for a top 6 centre. Of course if we can somehow grab Tavares then we obviously take it but I wouldn't make him the plan A, it's just not realistic enough.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I don't think the Habs should be investing in UFAs right now. This organization needs to properly build the future and not make any long-term panic acquisitions despite starving for a top 6 centre. Of course if we can somehow grab Tavares then we obviously take it but I wouldn't make him the plan A, it's just not realistic enough.

I think that’s Bergevin plan and that’s also the reason why he wouldn’t take futures for Pacioretty just yet.

If he can sign Tavares, Drouin is going back to LW and that opens a trade of either Galchenyuk or Pacioretty for a 2C or top 4 LHD to play with Weber.

And if Tavares doesn’t sign in Montreal then it’s game over for us and time for a retool. That means Shaw, Pacioretty, Byron, Petry, Benn, Schlemko, Alzer would all be available for futures

Everything I said is a long shot but I believe that’s “Bergevin’s plan”

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Drouin and RNH are both a bit overrated to me. Still, it'd be dumb for Habs to attempt such a trade when Nuge's shooting luck is 50% over his career average, and Drouin's is 50% under his career average.

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I think that’s Bergevin plan and that’s also the reason why he wouldn’t take futures for Pacioretty just yet.

If he can sign Tavares, Drouin is going back to LW and that opens a trade of either Galchenyuk or Pacioretty for a 2C or top 4 LHD to play with Weber.

And if Tavares doesn’t sign in Montreal then it’s game over for us and time for a retool. That means Shaw, Pacioretty, Byron, Petry, Benn, Schlemko, Alzer would all be available for futures

Oh Marc...

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009

Having difficulty holding on to that hope.

Too many big long-term contracts already.
Not enough (Mete and maybe 1 year left on Scherbak) elc contracts
Too many teams will go after him if he becomes available.
Taxes
Chances to get closer to a Cup.

Tried to see if it would work with Max P traded for futures and Danault getting 3 mil and i still get a roster loaded with 1 mil guys like Hemsky and Froese.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
We just traded for Drouin (and paid a premium price in Sergachev). We signed him for a very reasonable long-term contract and you’re expecting us to send him somewhere else?

As good as RNH have been this season, I wouldn’t trade Drouin for him and I would certainly not add Pacioretty and our best C prospect to get Puljujarvi and Khaira.

Pacioretty can be had for the right offer but there’s no way we’re packaging the two others let alone all these 3 right now in a single trade.

And we just paid Hall for Larsson. Does that mean Larsson has that same value? Not at all. So while I can identify with your sentiments, his value to other teams would remain irrelevant regarding the price you paid for him. Anyway, I think it would be a good trade for both, and I think Nuge would be a great center for you guys, putting up 55 upwards of 60 points most seasons (he's on pace for 56 points, which he's done twice before; maybe he puts up more in the East; who knows?) while being very, very good defensively. And I was speaking as more of a 1-for-1 trade without Max -- some smaller pieces would need to be added, but just as the basis of a trade.

But again, I can sympathize with not wanting to trade Drouin so soon; I would be hesitant, too, and hope he develops to his top potential for the Habs, which is a first line forward (no guarantees, but I think he has that potential). So yeah, realistically this deal couldn't happen any time soon, if ever. Just seems good to me in theory, but that doesn't mean a heck of a lot in reality.

Anyway, I think we'll be fine with forwards with Puljujarvi and Yamamoto, but it will take a couple years until they're anywhere consistent scoring threats in all likelihood, but it is what it is. Probably best to try to keep RNH if at all possible, but wont be easy.

Last edited:

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Having difficulty holding on to that hope.

Too many big long-term contracts already.
Not enough (Mete and maybe 1 year left on Scherbak) elc contracts
Too many teams will go after him if he becomes available.
Taxes
Chances to get closer to a Cup.

Tried to see if it would work with Max P traded for futures and Danault getting 3 mil and i still get a roster loaded with 1 mil guys like Hemsky and Froese.

I don’t know. Tavares changes everything. Even if we give him 10.5M/years with Plakanec off the book we would still have ~6M + whatever the cap increase is. With Danault’s raise ~2.5M more, we would have what? 8M and only one hole to fill (2C) and maybe a top 4 D with the following assets to trade:

- Pacioretty (4.5M)
- Shaw (3.9M)
- 1st round pick
- 3x second round pick
- Whatever the return for Plekanec is

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
But again, I can sympathize with not wanting to trade Drouin so soon; I would be hesitant, too, and hope he develops to his top potential for the Habs, which is a first line forward (no guarantees, but I think he has that potential). So yeah, realistically this deal couldn't happen any time soon, if ever. Just seems good to me in theory, but that doesn't man a heck of a lot in reality.
But what if Drouin gets you that high-end young true 1C??
So far his track record in his first 4 yrs is: 30 pts, 10 pts and sent home, 50 pts and in line for 40 this year.
Yeah he could get 70 somewhere else. But who cares if you have what you wanted to help Galchenyuk and form that top-end duo on a true first line.

We are mostly discussing deals for Max P. but maybe getting a 1C and keeping Max P is an option too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad