GDT: Montreal Canadiens vs New York Islanders 3/14/15- 7:00pm EST City, TVA, TSN 690

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
It's strange that over the course of the last few games the opposite of what we've been seeing is happening. The Habs come out competing in the 1st and then lose steam. It's tough this time of year and it happens a lot to 1st place teams. Other teams are gunning for their playoff lives, teams that are depleted have kids hungry to prove their worth in the NHL. I think it becomes more of a mental thing than anything else. Hopefully they put in a solid 60 minute effort tonight.

In any case, better a slump now than in 3 weeks. The 86 cup winning team (or was it the 93 one I don't recall right now) had a pretty major slump at about the exact same time as now. In a way this could be a blessing in disguise. Cup winning teams have to learn to fight through adversity.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
It's strange that over the course of the last few games the opposite of what we've been seeing is happening. The Habs come out competing in the 1st and then lose steam. It's tough this time of year and it happens a lot to 1st place teams. Other teams are gunning for their playoff lives, teams that are depleted have kids hungry to prove their worth in the NHL. I think it becomes more of a mental thing than anything else. Hopefully they put in a solid 60 minute effort tonight.

In any case, better a slump now than in 3 weeks. The 86 cup winning team (or was it the 93 one I don't recall right now) had a pretty major slump at about the exact same time as now. In a way this could be a blessing in disguise. Cup winning teams have to learn to fight through adversity.

I'm not sold on the compete level bit.
On three separate occasions a Habs forward has scored the first two goals of the game.
Gallagher Galchenyuk Pacioretty...
In every case the goals came early and easy, and in every case the team shut down not long after.
Not a glowing reflection of Jack Adams! :sarcasm:

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax

Both actually, the 93 Habs were in first place in the old Adams division at one point and then had a horrible slump that saw them drop to 3rd. The 86 team struggled down the stretch and basically limped into the playoffs from what I gather. Chris Nilan has stated before that the 86 team really struggled down the stretch in 86.

Last season the Habs were struggling too after the Trade Deadline, they eventually rebounded and went on a hot streak. Now it might not happen this year or it might but either way as much as it pains me to say but losing right now might be good for the Habs. It should make them realize how they have played this season was unsustainable (relying heavily on Price) and the rest of the team has to step up. This slump could be worse too. Remember the 09 team which fell apart after the All star break? Even bowling couldn't help them!

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Many of you dont seem to understand that a complete overhaul of the system would be idotic at this stage of the season. You do not do that right before the playoffs.

Implementing new strategies is a different thing, overhauling the system is not ideal.
It worked for Bylsma. I don't see what we have to lose.

Right now we're winning because of goaltending. Changing the system won't make us any worse plus we've still got Price so...

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
Last season the Habs were struggling too after the Trade Deadline, they eventually rebounded and went on a hot streak. Now it might not happen this year or it might but either way as much as it pains me to say but losing right now might be good for the Habs. It should make them realize how they have played this season was unsustainable (relying heavily on Price) and the rest of the team has to step up. This slump could be worse too. Remember the 09 team which fell apart after the All star break? Even bowling couldn't help them!

I dont know what happened still last playoffs - it's like they came out playing the system but did it PERFECTLY for 2 rounds it looked like a complete different team to last year's regular season squad

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
I really hope we COMPETE tonight. And by that I mean ice the puck at least 10 times and spend more than half the game in our zone.

The boys better bring their A-game. Oh sorry, I meant grind. :sarcasm:

mustardnight*

Aug 11, 2011
1-0 Habs

Own goal by Matt Martin, we get outshot 69-12.

Michel Therrien is satisfied with the team's defensive play.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Don't really care if we win/lose at this point. The effort has just been putrid since the trade deadline. I guess even the team thought we needed a better top 6 to compete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad