GDT: Montreal Canadiens vs Buffalo Sabres 10/5/17 7:00pm EST TSN2, RDS, TSN 690

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The Sabres have better center depth for sure. That's it. You are going on a massive stretch saying their D and wingers are better than ours.

And here I was.. going through my entire life thinking similar meant that two things were alike and not altogether that different.

Then a lightning flash of logic.. it turns out that similar means better!

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal
Great GDT, the Habs Vault video was weird though. Repeating the same sequence twice, no sound at the end. Still, OT victory with Streit on the scoreboard! 10 years ago, on the last year of Koivu with us.

Didn't know that Pominville was back with the Sabres... would be awesome if he could become a dominant player again.
On the wing to Eichel? Should be a good year for him...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
And here I was.. going through my entire life thinking similar meant that two things were alike and not altogether that different.

Then a lightning flash of logic.. it turns out that similar means better!

haha. The only edge the Sabres have on the Habs is at center. You know it's true. We have the edge at everything else. But you can use your conservative approach and devalue our assets and overvalue the Sabres assets to make the gap closer and call it "similar"

Reactions: David Suzuki

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
haha. The only edge the Sabres have on the Habs is at center. You know it's true. We have the edge at everything else.

How about you read my post before you jump down my throat.

I'll put it in nice clear terms:

Center - Advantage Sabres
Wing - Relatively equal
Defense - Relatively equal
Goaltending - Advantage Canadiens

So, yes, in fact... the only edge I gave to the Sabres was.. at centre.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Wing - Relatively equal

I understood your post, I just don't agree with your attempt to say their D and wingers are better, similar, or relative equal to ours. Whatever word you want to use, it's a stretch.

We disagree and that's ok. I will repeat, The only edge the Sabres have on us is at center.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
A close up for me tonight will be how well Drouin plays center. Sabres have an impressive array of forwards. Hopefully Price can be the equalizer

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
I'm pretty excited about tonight, it's my favorite time of year. Past sins are forgiven (for now), and the future is limitless. Just win baby.

4 - 1 good guys, Drouin with 2 points.

Reactions: CanadiensChick

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Wing - Relatively equal

100% agreed on centers and 100% agreed on goaltending. I also agree with defense being relatively equal, even though on paper they look like they will be opposite styles (Sabres will have more of a mobile group while Habs will be more passing the puck up quicker).

As for wings, I will give the edge to Montreal.

1LW: Evander Kane vs. Max Pacioretty: advantage Pacioretty
2LW: Benoit Pouliot vs. Charles Hudon: I like Hudon better but because Pouliot has NHL experience, I will concede advantage Pouliot.
3LW: Zemgus Girgensons vs. Alex Galchenyuk: advantage Galchenyuk
4LW: Johan Larsson vs. Paul Byron: advantage Byron

1RW: Jason Pominville vs. Brendan Gallagher: Pominville has had a good career, but at this moment, advantage Gallagher.
2RW: Kyle Okposo vs. Artturi Lehkonen: I think Lehkonen will end up real good. But at this moment, advantage Okposo.
3RW: Seth Griffith vs. Andrew Shaw: advantage Shaw. Griffith has been an AHL'er, so much like Hudon with Pouliot, I give the edge to the man with the NHL experience.
4RW: Jordan Nolan vs. Ales Hemsky: It depends what you're looking for. If it's skill, advantage Hemsky. Last year in 15 games, Hemsky had 1 less point than Nolan did in 46 games.

So for me, advantage Habs on 7 of the 9 wing positions.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

Jul 6, 2016
100% agreed on centers and 100% agreed on goaltending. I also agree with defense being relatively equal, even though on paper they look like they will be opposite styles (Sabres will have more of a mobile group while Habs will be more passing the puck up quicker).

As for wings, I will give the edge to Montreal.

1LW: Evander Kane vs. Max Pacioretty: advantage Pacioretty
2LW: Benoit Pouliot vs. Charles Hudon: I like Hudon better but because Pouliot has NHL experience, I will concede advantage Pouliot.
3LW: Zemgus Girgensons vs. Alex Galchenyuk: advantage Galchenyu
k
4LW: Johan Larsson vs. Paul Byron: advantage Byron

1RW: Jason Pominville vs. Brendan Gallagher: Pominville has had a good career, but at this moment, advantage Gallagher.
2RW: Kyle Okposo vs. Artturi Lehkonen: I think Lehkonen will end up real good. But at this moment, advantage Okposo.
3RW: Seth Griffith vs. Andrew Shaw: advantage Shaw. Griffith has been an AHL'er, so much like Hudon with Pouliot, I give the edge to the man with the NHL experience.
4RW: Jordan Nolan vs. Ales Hemsky: It depends what you're looking for. If it's skill, advantage Hemsky. Last year in 15 games, Hemsky had 1 less point than Nolan did in 46 games.

So for me, advantage Habs on 7 of the 9 wing positions.

Actually, the Galchy-Danault-Shaw line is the second line, not the third.

Jul 6, 2016
I am expecting a huge game by Beaulieu. (even if I dislike him)

Sabres gonna win.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007

I think our 2nd/3rd line is fairly interchangeable depending on matchups and roughly equivalent in terms of talent. The lines I've seen in the media all have Plekanec's line as #2, but I really don't see the value in labeling those lines as #2 or #3. We have a clear 1st line, a clear 4th line and then 2 #2/3 lines IMO.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
If we win this game, we win the Stanley Cup!!!
If we lose this game, we won't make the playoffs...

That said, maybe if we lose this one & a couple of others, Molson will finally grow some balls and fire Bergevin. I'd love it if Pat Brisson could take role of GM - he could tell Tavares to wait the season out and join us as UFA lol & get us Duchene in 2 years as UFA, and get Pacioretty to accept less $ on his next contract, etc. He could also tell Julien to f***ing put Galchenyuk back in center.

Jul 6, 2016
I think our 2nd/3rd line is fairly interchangeable depending on matchups and roughly equivalent in terms of talent. The lines I've seen in the media all have Plekanec's line as #2, but I really don't see the value in labeling those lines as #2 or #3. We have a clear 1st line, a clear 4th line and then 2 #2/3 lines IMO.

Looks like it.

I would like to see these middle-six lines instead.

Lehkonen-Danault-Galchenyuk (on rw, finally)

Hudon- Plekky-Shaw

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Okay. Then Galchenyuk over Pouliot as 2LW, I'll concede Girgensons over Hudon because of NHL experience as 3LW. And advantage Okposo over Shaw as 2RW and Lehkonen over Griffith as 3RW. It comes down to the same thing in terms of Montreal edging Buffalo on the wings.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I would even say 3 #2/3 lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad