HF Habs: Montreal Canadiens Draft (#3, #35, #38, #56, #62, #66, #97, #102, #122 & #128)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City
You draft a player for what you project him to become. What I don't like about Zadina is his age vs his draft class. Also, at 6'-6'1 and 192 lbs, he seems more advanced physically with not much more room to grow and he's playing vs young players in the worst CHL league.

While for example, Kotkaniemi is more than 7 months younger, plays against men and is 6'2 and 190 lbs. Look at their pictures, Kotkaniemi look like he's 3 years younger :laugh:. I'm not saying we should draft him instead as I don't know him enough, but I'm just showing why scouts could prefer others players over Zadina.

Reactions: 417

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
You draft a player for what you project him to become. What I don't like about Zadina is his age vs his draft class. Also, at 6'-6'1 and 192 lbs, he seems more advanced physically with not much more room to grow and he's playing vs young players in the worst CHL league.

While for example, Kotkaniemi is more than 7 months younger, plays against men and is 6'2 and 190 lbs. Look at their pictures, Kotkaniemi look like he's 3 years younger :laugh:. I'm not saying we should draft him instead as I don't know him enough, but I'm just showing why scouts could prefer others players over Zadina.

And yet, according to the combine Zadina is apparently not as fit as some of the other players. If you want to convince yourself about Kotkaniemi fine but maybe Zadina has a ton of room to grow into his frame as well as get in better shape. If he' 6' 192 now maybe he'll play at 210.

If he's not testing as well at the combine yet he's dominating a league that's a pretty good indication of talent.

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
Draft the BPA 3rd and focus on centers and dmen with the remaining picks.
Reaching for a center at 3 in a draft that is weak at center is silly in my opinion. The fin isnt a guarantee 1st line center. He isnt barkov, I see a 2nd line center or winger. Pretty big gamble at 3 in my opinion especially with the amount of centers later in the draft with top 6 potential.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Lehkonen actually had better production than Kotkaniemi at the same age in the same league.

Lehkonen Draft year in the Liiga : 30 points in 45 games as a 17 years old.
Kotkaniemi Draft year in the Liiga : 29 points in 57 games as a 17 years old.

Of course Kotkaniemi skills set will translate to the NHL a lot better than Lehkonen but his offensive production is not out of the ordinary. Definitely not as impressive as Svechnikov and Zadina ability to score goals imo.

It is out of the ordinary. 7th all time pre-draft.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Does that mean Lehkonen is 6th? Because I like Lehkonen but he's by no means a star.

Artturi's 4th. By no means is it a rule that if you do well in a league historically that you'll be a star. But it is out of the ordinary. Only the very best finnish prospects reach or exceed that mark. Most first year eligible players don't even play the full season in Liiga.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
(sooooo...........good management teams perform due diligence prior to draft day hence the term Best Player Available)

now a couple of things; BPA exists throughout every draft- every round- every year, calling this management “stupid” is simply observant, I never “relax” but always chill.

Was Puljujarvi the best BPA at 3rd in the 2016 draft? Well, to a lot of people he was. Blue Jackets went after their Need/BPA and took PLD. I think you get my point and the argument is BPA only exist in hindsight. Picks 3-10 are very hard to determine who the BPA is. So why no go after the center we need?

I like Zadina a lot and watched him play all year. I don't think we can go wrong with taking him but I am giving Dobson and Kotkaniemi serious consideration. Those are my BPA with our 3rd pick.

Reactions: Vachon23

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Zadina seems to be the consensus but he’s not unanimous. I’ve seen him as low as 5th, but more lists peg him at #3.

Bob McKenzie’s list should give us a stronger idea of consensus when it comes out, likely this weekend.

While I don’t think Zadina is BPA at #3, I don’t think Kotkaniemi is either. Anyhow, doesn’t matter what I think or what Bobby Mac publishes. It’ll be what the Habs think. If they think Kotkaniemi is the best choice, just take him. If they got 3 kids they like equally, trade down.

Agreed. I see it the very same. I am hoping for Zadina, Kotkaniemi or Dobson. Those are my picks. I then have Boqvist and Wahlstrom a notch behind them. Then Tkachuk & Hughes. Then Bouchard, Veleno, Hayton, Smith.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Draft the BPA 3rd and focus on centers and dmen with the remaining picks.
Reaching for a center at 3 in a draft that is weak at center is silly in my opinion. The fin isnt a guarantee 1st line center. He isnt barkov, I see a 2nd line center or winger. Pretty big gamble at 3 in my opinion especially with the amount of centers later in the draft with top 6 potential.

If Raphael Lavoie was available this year, would you take him over Zadina ?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
We saw the picture of Zadina in Ottawa visiting the Sens last week. Here's a behind the scenes video released by Sens on Zadina and Tkachuk visiting their facility.

So with this video, I get the impression that if Habs take someone else (Kotkaniemi or Hughes as an example), Sens will take Zadina. But if Habs take Zadina at 3rd, Sens would most likely take Tkachuk.

TheRocket87

Nov 26, 2010
We saw the picture of Zadina in Ottawa visiting the Sens last week. Here's a behind the scenes video released by Sens on Zadina and Tkachuk visiting their facility.

So with this video, I get the impression that if Habs take someone else (Kotkaniemi or Hughes as an example), Sens will take Zadina. But if Habs take Zadina at 3rd, Sens would most likely take Tkachuk.

I seriously don't want us to touch Tkachuck or Kotkaniemi at 3. Their ceiling just doesn't seem as high as 3oa should be. It's been Zadina or Dobson for me for quite some time and I'm praying that we end up with one of them. I've seen a lot of Kotkaniemi this season and he's been totally unable to transition any of his marketed strengths to the pros. He played a smart simple game at the u18s, but his play among men mainly consists of bad plays though he can be dangerous in the o-zone.

Tkachuck looks like an obnoxious teen bully and makes me dislike the thought of taking him even more. Zadinas ridiculous haircut on the other hand is a tribute to the 90's Euro imports and makes me want us to take him! :laugh:

Reactions: HankyZetts

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
So what you’re saying is that this is good on managements part :)

Yes, just as getting Bouchard and Ducharme were good moves.. and firing Lefebvre finally with Carriers stupid son.

Im not a blind hater, I will acknowledge things that are good or bad. But too much bad has been done that the small little things being done (too late) doesn't really move the needle.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Yes, just as getting Bouchard and Ducharme were good moves.. and firing Lefebvre finally with Carriers stupid son.

Im not a blind hater, I will acknowledge things that are good or bad. But too much bad has been done that the small little things being done (too late) doesn't really move the needle.
It moves it so slightly, I, like most fans, need to see the on ice product change, as defining as his gaffs were the last few years, this summer can be as significant, his moves can surely move the needle in the right direction.

But he’s got to do it, time to shit or get off the pot. Essentially, he’s Roy Scheider and has one bullet left to kill the shark.....he CAN’T miss or he’ll end up like Robert Shaw.....fodder

Reactions: Redux91
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad