HF Habs: Montreal Canadiens Draft (#3, #35, #38, #56, #62, #66, #97, #102, #122 & #128)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Based on that kind of analysis, only the top 1 is a clear No1. Everybody else have different opinions on everybody. So when we talk about consensus it's mostly based on the lists we know. And based on most lists, a vast majority has Zadina as No3.

Top 1 and 2. I wouldn't give two shits about anyone else if we ended up with Svechnikov. That's why he's a clear 2: you'd rather take the bet that Svechnikov will be better than any single player out of the 10 that follow, than any single player out of that group of 10 will be better than Svechnikov.

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
There's nothing he can do to make me believe he finally gets it. Anything done now is too late and even if he starts a rebuild, his trades have defined his philosophy and where his preferences lie in terms of players and his attempt at a rebuild would be a failure.

If the team was just 2-3 players away, I can't say he could handle the assigment to find them.

We're not close, and that stage appears to be way too big for him.

This draft, with the extra picks and early-round options is exciting, and should be part of a very cool Grand Re-opening.

Instead, it's happening at a time when the store shelves are depleted and its bad manager is running a step behind competitors, scrambling to acquire items they no longer want, need or can afford to keep.

There are other stores in difficulty, but they're figuring it all out and as their ineptitude fades, our store will be unable to keep up, even to them.

It's quite a shadow, and awfully hard to ignore.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I personally dont think I would. Hard to predict because hes a year younger. I think hes currently a top 15 pick next year.
Montreal needs help every where so I'm looking at the draft as a whole. If you can get a goal scorer with the 1st rd pick and pick centers and rd dman through the rest of the draft where they are slotted. I think they will do well. The habs cant fill all the holes in one draft.

Reason I ask is he's only 2 months younger than Kotkaniemi, who's had the more impressive season.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Draft experts almost all rate Tkachuk and Wahlstrom much higher than Kotkaniemi. All three are C/W. It seems that almost everyone here is dismissing Tkachuk and Walhstrom as strong possibilities for us at #3. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know but most experts rate them so much higher.

If we pick Wahlstrom, I’d be the second happiest guy on HF Habs.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I respect anyone who is high on Hughes. I just see him slipping a bit due to lack of size.

His size I’m sure factors in this. He’d be a guaranteed top-3 pick... maybe top-2 if he were 6’1. However, despite still being smaller, consensus puts him top-10 which says a lot about his skill.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
His size I’m sure factors in this. He’d be a guaranteed top-3 pick... maybe top-2 if he were 6’1. However, despite still being smaller, consensus puts him top-10 which says a lot about his skill.

Agreed. Hughes, would be right there with Dahlin if he was Dahlin size. There is no lack of skill. The measure is how elite he can be as a undersized defenseman. I'm sure he can grow a bit but the under 6'-0" elite levelNHL defenseman is very a short list. I see Hughes slipping to 8-12 range but I doubt he slips outside of the top 10

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
No way they will draft Hughes, I just don’t buy it. It’s going to be Dobson. He’s the prototypical Timmins pick.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Assuming we trade Patches and get a mid-1st, Farabee deserves consideration.

This is the exciting part outside of how MB will use those 4 second rounders. Is he going to move up? Is he going to add other picks? Is he going to take a stab at the 2nd OA?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
So many ways to go with that third pick.

Just make a deal for the 2OA and be done with it. We'll never have consensus on who the 3OA should be, but with the 2OA, issue resolved.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Why do I get the feeling that Wahlstrom will be one of the best offensive player in this draft? He just seems to have all the tools and "intangibles" you're looking for in a scoring forward.

He does have every tool you look for, but his shot is something special. It's lethal, he would beat pro goalies already with it.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
He does have every tool you look for, but his shot is something special. It's lethal, he would beat pro goalies already with it.
Even better than the quality of his shot...it's his willingness to use it and ability to use it in different situations.

To me that's what makes a sniper...not just how good/hard/accurate your shot is, but how often are you able to get it off and under what circumstances.

High quality and high volume shooter...+ he's right handed, can skate, has good size.

What's not to like?

I compare it to a guy like Galchenyuk...he's got an awesome shot, but he needs a lot of time/space to get it off. This is not the case with Wahlstrom from what i've seen, he'll shoot it off the rush, between a Dman's legs, one timer, snap shots...he's got the entire shooting arsenal AND the deceptiveness to fool goalies.

Reactions: Runner77

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Even better than the quality of his shot...it's his willingness to use it and ability to use it in different situations.

To me that's what makes a sniper...not just how good/hard/accurate your shot is, but how often are you able to get it off and under what circumstances.

High quality and high volume shooter...+ he's right handed, can skate, has good size.

What's not to like?

I compare it to a guy like Galchenyuk...he's got an awesome shot, but he needs a lot of time/space to get it off. This is not the case with Wahlstrom from what i've seen, he'll shoot it off the rush, between a Dman's legs, one timer, snap shots...he's got the entire shooting arsenal AND the deceptiveness to fool goalies.

Does anyone know why Zadina is ranked higher than Wahlstrom? I guess based on results last season and not future projection? It just looks like Wahlstrom's game prjects better in the NHL and he seems to be a lot more power forwardish than Zadina is.

Reactions: 417

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

What's not to like?

His variety of shots, too. He can let it go at any time from anywhere in a couple different ways. Set plays, off the rush, from low angles, one timers, and he's not wrong when he says that it's the best in the draft. The comparison to Pacioretty is a lazy and bad one, IMO: he's way more useful in the rest of the game, and especially as a play maker than Patches.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
His variety of shots, too. He can let it go at any time from anywhere in a couple different ways. Set plays, off the rush, from low angles, one timers, and he's not wrong when he says that it's the best in the draft. The comparison to Pacioretty is a lazy and bad one, IMO: he's way more useful in the rest of the game, and especially as a play maker than Patches.
I find players like Wahlstrom (and to some degree Pacioretty, though his is more warranted) often get labeled as lazy because they're not working "hard" away from the puck.

But that's not what snipers do...but that's also not the impression I got from Wahlstrom either. But it's hard to get a sense of these things based on highlights or tournaments playing with the best.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad