Montreal Canadiens are going to be contenders next season?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Even in 14-15, Carey Price faced the 5th highest high danger shots in the league.

Of course they are not tip ins, but they're not shots a defense should be giving up.

In this regard, Montreal is barely better than Ottawa and Toronto and actually worse than Boston.

That's... kinda what I said. And that may be why the defense corps was remodelled quite a bit this summer.

Mynameismark*

Can you please explain why you think Radulov isn't elite? He is a legitimate scoring threat by all accounts and has no history of serious injury.

Come on man...I'm hoping he does really well this season and helps to propel our offense, but he hasn't proven that he's elite in the NHL, which is the league that matters.

scan15*

May 11, 2016
GTA
That's... kinda what I said. And that may be why the defense corps was remodelled quite a bit this summer.

Sorry, missed that point about Montreal's defense getting better. Yeah, maybe Weber decreases those scoring chances, but there's also a strong possibility that he won't.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Let's stick to what we know. Radulov is a very good top-six forward who hasn't played in the NHL for a few years. No reason to think he's declined, but also no reason to assume he's jumped into the elite class.

Maybe giving him the Elite moniker is to quick, but watching him this pre season he is doing things on the ice that very few other players can and at an Elite level. Its yet to be seen if he can do that for 82 games against NHL competition but the skills are there.

I don't think we have seen a forward like Rads in MTL since Kovalev, and Rads may even be better.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
This is false. Condon performed admirably, it wasn't his fault that he isn't Carey Price who is used to being far and away the goalie leading the league in goals saved above average.

He was ****. Barely .900 sv% is ****. He started of well but that's about it.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Maybe giving him the Elite moniker is to quick, but watching him this pre season he is doing things on the ice that very few other players can and at an Elite level. Its yet to be seen if he can do that for 82 games against NHL competition but the skills are there.

I don't think we have seen a forward like Rads in MTL since Kovalev, and Rads may even be better.

Yikes... better than Kovalev? I give you full credit for optimism and since we root for the same team I sincerely hope you're right, but my prediction sees Radulov as a 50-55 pt. forward. Still pretty good, and a big improvement for Habs' offence.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Can you please explain why you think Radulov isn't elite? He is a legitimate scoring threat by all accounts and has no history of serious injury.

Some elite Forwards imo

Crosby
Malkin
Ovechkin
Kane
Tarasenko
Giroux
Kopitar
Bergeron
Benn
Seguin
Pavelski
Tavares

He doesn't impress as much the guys listed above. I would throw him in a tier below that along with guys like

Kessel
Carter
Marchand
Forsberg
Pacioretty

Which is still very respectable and well above average

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Some elite Forwards imo

Crosby
Malkin
Ovechkin
Kane
Tarasenko
Giroux
Kopitar
Bergeron
Benn
Seguin
Pavelski
Tavares

He doesn't impress as much the guys listed above. I would throw him in a tier below that along with guys like

Kessel
Carter
Marchand
Forsberg
Pacioretty

You're insulting the guys in this 2nd tier if Radulov gets thrown in there already. After this thread, anything less than 30-50-80is a huge disappointment for the elite Radulov.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
it will all depend on Price... if he's hot they're in, if he's cold, they're not

simple as that... you witnessed the results yourself last year

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
it will all depend on Price... if he's hot they're in, if he's cold, they're not

simple as that... you witnessed the results yourself last year

:laugh:

And again, as written previously : "Sure, let's pretend Price is the only one who was hurt last year"

Last edited:

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Dear Habs fans,

Your team is not good and will not make the playoffs.

Sincerely,
HFBoards

Not like I care what HFboards think especially when I read stuff like the Habs are more contender for the 1st overall pick than being a playoffs team, it really shows how ignorant some people are but I really like to know which 8 teams do you see ahead of the Habs. If the Habs stays healthy vs healthy teams in the Eastern conference, I don't see 8 teams performing better than the Habs.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Some elite Forwards imo

Crosby
Malkin
Ovechkin
Kane
Tarasenko
Giroux
Kopitar
Bergeron
Benn
Seguin
Pavelski
Tavares

Kessel
Carter
Marchand
Forsberg
Pacioretty

Thornton belongs in the first group no question. He's better than Pavelski FWIW.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If Carey Price is healthy they're in the playoffs IMO, not even much of a doubt about it.

To be honest I wouldn't really want to play them in the playoffs either, Price steals one of the first two games and then anyone could be in some trouble.

The Weber for Subban swap long term wasn't a great deal IMO, but for now Weber is still a very good player, combined with Price, and a decent forward group, they will be a handful in a 7 game series.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
If Carey Price is healthy they're in the playoffs IMO, not even much of a doubt about it.

To be honest I wouldn't really want to play them in the playoffs either, Price steals one of the first two games and then anyone could be in some trouble.

The Weber for Subban swap long term wasn't a great deal IMO, but for now Weber is still a very good player, combined with Price, and a decent forward group, they will be a handful in a 7 game series.

Their group is still complete garbage after Weber on D. Luckily they got Price to cover up for that.

I can't see the Habs hanging with teams like the Penguins or Lightning in a 7-game series. Price would need to stand on his head every game because Montreal's D would get blitzed by speedy forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad