Montreal Canadiens are going to be contenders next season?

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
No doubt in my mind and barring another Carey Price outage, they have all the pieces for a successful season now.

Elite goalie in net.

Elite veteran leader defenseman.

Elite right winger added to top 6.

Guys like Shaw to add some grit.

Habs are back in the contention, mark my words.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Some of the worst center depth in the league.

Some of the softest/smallest overall forwards in the league.

Awful bottom 9.

Holes in the top 6.

No mobility in the backend at all. Nobody that can move the puck.

DAVID DESHARNAIS STILL ON THE TEAM.

It's going to crash and burn. I just hope there's finally some accountability.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
How has their team changed significantly since successful 2014-2015?

Not sure about contenders but healthy price puts them in the playoffs.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Some of the worst center depth in the league.

Some of the softest/smallest overall forwards in the league.

Awful bottom 9.

Holes in the top 6.

No mobility in the backend at all. Nobody that can move the puck.

DAVID DESHARNAIS STILL ON THE TEAM.

It's going to crash and burn. I just hope there's finally some accountability.

Its such a shame to have you as a Habs fan......

No mobility on the backend? Petry and Beaulieu are among the fastest defenceman in the NHL.

Plekanec and Galchenyuk at center is far from been worst center deph in the NHL...

MTL have the best goaltender in the NHL and a solid backup in Montoya. They also have one of the best defensive squad in the NHL with Weber-Petry-Markov-Beaulieu-Emelin.
The top line will also be very solid offensively and defensively with Pacioretty-Plekanec-Radulov. Our 2nd line will also put some solid number for a 2nd line with Shaw-Galchenyuk-Gallagher. The 3rd line remains the biggest question mark of this team since 2 rookies will probably be on it. The 4th line should be solid again this year with Byron-Mitchell-Danault.

MTL will be back in the playoff next year, bank on it.

Last edited:

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Radulov is a notable wildcard signing. Weber for PK is a wash atm (bad trade for Montreal but the full effects will be felt more towards the future). Price is right. Andrew Shaw. Healthy Gallagher.

They are definitely a better team than last year.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I wouldn't be shocked. I think they got better this off-season.

Weber's a lot better than he's been given credit for relative to Subban and brings a different dynamic, Radulov's a feisty, elite scorer, and Shaw's a pain in the ass.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Playoff contenders? Sure. They should be, with Price.

Cup contenders? Unless Price drags them there (anything's possible), I really don't think so.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Its such a shame to have you as a Habs fan......

No mobility on the backend? Petry and Beaulieu are among the fastest defenceman in the NHL.

Plekanec and Galchenyuk at center is far from been worst center deph in the NHL...

MTL have the best goaltender in the NHL and a solid backup in Montoya. They also have one of the best defensive squad in the NHL with Weber-Petry-Markov-Beaulieu-Emelin.
The top line will also be very solid offensively and defensively with Pacioretty-Plekanec-Radulov. Our 2nd line will also put some solid number for a 2nd line with Shaw-Galchenyuk-Gallagher. The 3rd line remains the biggest question mark of this team since 2 rookies will probably be on it. The 4th line should be solid again this year with Byron-Mitchell-Danault.

MTL will be back in the playoff next year, bank on it.

Beaulieu and Petry are not the fastest d-men in the NHL and even if they were, that's not what mobility on the backend means. Neither of them can move the puck reliably. There are 0 strong puck movers anywhere on that backend. You basically need to hope that Beaulieu magically improved significantly over the summer.

Weber has always played with a strong puck mover. Who is he going to play with now?

Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Desharnais-Danault/Mitchell/??? certainly is some of the worst, softest, smallest center depth in the whole NHL.

It might be the smallest top 9 in the entire NHL. And so soft... Pacioretty, Plekanec, Desharnais all vanish the moment things get difficult.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Beaulieu and Petry are not the fastest d-men in the NHL and even if they were, that's not what mobility on the backend means. Neither of them can move the puck reliably. There are 0 strong puck movers anywhere on that backend. You basically need to hope that Beaulieu magically improved significantly over the summer.

Weber has always played with a strong puck mover. Who is he going to play with now?

Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Desharnais-Danault/Mitchell/??? certainly is some of the worst, softest, smallest center depth in the whole NHL.

It might be the smallest top 9 in the entire NHL. And so soft... Pacioretty, Plekanec, Desharnais all vanish the moment things get difficult.

Did we trade away one of the best puck mover in the NHL? Markov.

Petry is also a solid puck moving defenceman.....

Did you watch the playoffs? Pittsburgh have a very small top9 and were dominant.... Were not in the 90s anymore, Skills wins game not size. Chicago did'n win it with size either.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
While there's something really wrong if that teams misses the playoffs this season (and without the catastrophic injuries of last season), I still wouldn't employ "contenders" to describe them.

That "something really wrong" could be the coach, mind you.

Thierry

May 30, 2006
Montreal
Yeah sure ! At this time of the year, we could easily say 12 teams could be contenders, we'll have a better idea in the first months.

But that being said, in the first months last year, the Habs were amongst the best team in the league while the Penguins had trouble making the playoffs...

It's July 12th. Considering Price could be healty all year, Radulov could have an amazing season racking 60 pts, Weber could bring stability while he still can, Galchenyuk could continue what he was doing at the end of the year... with Gallagher producing with regularity and Paccio getting his yearly 60 pts, why not ?

But that's a lot of factors that could go ape ****.

On paper, right now, this team is good. This team could get to the ECF, they did it with a lesser team and last time I checked, being in the ECF makes you a contender.

Today, July 12th, stating the Habs are not contender right now is silly and stupid. But the truth is I could name a lot of team in the same situation.

My call though: They will miserably fail and I'll be the first to laugh and applaud.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Radulov is definitely skilled, but we're calling him elite already? If he puts up around PPG then yeah I could see them being in the conversation to make a run, but I'll wait and see on that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad