Proposal: Montreal Buffalo Edmonton

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
This is not what Buffalo should be doing. ROR should be traded for picks/prospects. Not this type haul.

Galchenyuk would fit for them and I guess you could spin off RNH. I'd still pass.

Been there, done that. This is EXACTLY what Buffalo should do. Why should they stock on picks? They already have the 1OA with Dahlin, Eichel as their #1 and a pretty young core group who’s potential is immense.

They definitely don’t need draft picks but rather young vets who could support that young core and still be relevant when Eichel/Stats/Rein/Nylander/Dahlin enter their prime.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Not bad value for Buffalo, but 2 problems I see -

They are sending out $7.5M in cap and bringing back about $11M.
Although you are also filling a hole on LW... so that may not be an issue.

The main problem I see for Buffalo -

Galchenyuk is only under contract 2 more years before he's a UFA

And RNH is under contract 3 more years before UFA.

Then they will both likely be looking for raises and I'm not sure what Buffalo cap will look like.
And there is no guarantee that either would want to stay in Buffalo.
So that's a big gamble you are making that you can re-sign both of these guys, and for cap hits Buffalo can afford.

If Buffalo is trading their biggest trade chip, I guess I'd just like to know that it's for more than 2-3 years worth of a return. I know you could trade both at the deadline for futures, but I'm not sure you'd come out ahead of what you could have traded ROR for with 5yrs left on his deal.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
The jump from 3-10 this year is not much at all. Guys like Boqvist have been rated anywhere from 3-10. The value there is atrocious and we're not trading RNH.

Something that I haven't seen brought up in this thread though is the Schlemko and Beaulieu additions. Like what the f***? The Oilers already have 4 LS defenseman and absolutely no room for a bottom pair guy, let alone two left handed one's.

Just not good for Edmonton at all.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
There were Oiler fans in another thread trying to come up with a deal for RNH and the 10th OV for the 3rd OV. Montreal fans wanted Draisatil ( which is crazy). But if you consider RNH a top line guy, then this deals not for you. If Edmonton is looking for future cap space, and a top pick for a top line winger for the next 10 years, then this is a good trade. There's a hell of a value jump from 10th to 3rd.
Those RNH and 10th proposals have always been about Pacioretty and 3rd, not straight up for 3rd.

Reactions: ivanlwan

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Ya this does nothing for Edmonton. The token third round pick thrown in makes it pretty obvious you knew it too.

The 3rd overall does not hold so much value that the Oilers would drop a player like RNH just to jump up 7 spots. We're actually pretty happy at 10th overall since there's a cluster of players we like and one of them is guaranteed to be still there at 10.

Additionally, we're forced to eat two caps dumps from both other teams at LD where we're already overloaded.

Pass

Reactions: voxel and ivanlwan

Bargainbin

1 FOR 1
Jun 17, 2017
How is Montreal getting railed? They move down 7 spots to get a 1c in his prime? So Galchenyuk and the 3rd OV for ROR and the 10th OV is getting railed? I think that's a pretty sweet deal for Montreal.

As a matter of fact, Montreal should be giving another pick to Buffalo.
Montreals clearly going to enter a rebuild mode .don't trade zadina and galchenyuk to get ROR and The 10th pick which is probably going to be veleno

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
How is Montreal getting railed? They move down 7 spots to get a 1c in his prime? So Galchenyuk and the 3rd OV for ROR and the 10th OV is getting railed? I think that's a pretty sweet deal for Montreal.

As a matter of fact, Montreal should be giving another pick to Buffalo.

the difference between Chucky and ROR isnt a drop of 7 spots at the draft. No way no how. And you think another pick?? laughable

They should keep the pick and take Zadina, trade Patches for a mid 1st and use it on a center

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Not interested in trading ROR and a Dman isn’t coming back.

I’ve said before I’d rather get back a vet 3C a day Dman who has team control for at least 3 yrs.

I see Mittlestadt being 2C in 19/20 if buffalo was trading ROR

Dietpepsi

Jun 27, 2015
Buffalo easily wins this trade but I still don't think they should do it.

Edmonton definitely gets fleeced.
Agree'd, Oilers need somebody that can play w/ Mcdavid now, this 3 OA draft pick may take a few years yet to develop... meanwhile McDavid gets older.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Agree'd, Oilers need somebody that can play w/ Mcdavid now, this 3 OA draft pick may take a few years yet to develop... meanwhile McDavid gets older.

The problem is we need a RHS RW while keeping our depth. UFA is the best option while JP develops. No need for ANY bottom pair D. Oilers are brimming full of D prospects. We tossed away Davidson and Oesterle (played at WHC for USA) last off-season and will let go of a few more this one.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Funny because every one think their team is getting fleeced. Meaning its might not be that bad of a trade proposal.

The highest value asset in the bunch is probably the 3rd overall.

I don’t see the habs trading their their 3rd overall. ROR is not worth 3rd overall.

I want the habs to trade for ROR but including our 3rd is bit of an overpayment.

Buffalo is getting huge return for ROR. RNH is very good, younger and cheaper than ROR. Not THAT much of a downgrade and you get Galchenyuk as well. AG might never become elite but he is very talented. Last year he had more than 50 pts even if he did not plays much 5vs5 at the start of the year.

RHN and AG for ROR is very good for BUFFALO. Done deal for them. No risk for them.

As for Edmonton, they gave a lot for uncertainty. They gave a lot for trading up. A high pick is always uncertain. But they may very well get the best asset of all. Zadina, Tkachuk or Hugues could be huge for oilers. Huge price to trade up. In 5 years they could be the clear winner. Or absolute looser if 3rd pick bust.

Overall im a habs fan and i dont think we do the deal but its an interesting proposal.

Very good proposal for discussion.

Buffalo is cleary the winner though.

But your not just trading the 3rd for O'Reilly. Your trading the 3rdov and Galchenyuk for O'Reilly and 10thov

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Not bad value for Buffalo, but 2 problems I see -

They are sending out $7.5M in cap and bringing back about $11M.
Although you are also filling a hole on LW... so that may not be an issue.

The main problem I see for Buffalo -

Galchenyuk is only under contract 2 more years before he's a UFA

And RNH is under contract 3 more years before UFA.

Then they will both likely be looking for raises and I'm not sure what Buffalo cap will look like.
And there is no guarantee that either would want to stay in Buffalo.
So that's a big gamble you are making that you can re-sign both of these guys, and for cap hits Buffalo can afford.

If Buffalo is trading their biggest trade chip, I guess I'd just like to know that it's for more than 2-3 years worth of a return. I know you could trade both at the deadline for futures, but I'm not sure you'd come out ahead of what you could have traded ROR for with 5yrs left on his deal.

Buffalo's trading Beaulieu also. That helps a little.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
the difference between Chucky and ROR isnt a drop of 7 spots at the draft. No way no how. And you think another pick?? laughable

They should keep the pick and take Zadina, trade Patches for a mid 1st and use it on a center

I think a lot of people would disagree. The difference between ROR and Galchenyuk is a least 7 spots.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
I think a lot of people would disagree. The difference between ROR and Galchenyuk is a least 7 spots.

only Buffalo fans or Hab haters.

The point totals are close and its true that ROR is a center so that in his favor but chuck is younger and makes far less money.....

Id rather keep chuck and have the 3rd than ROR and the 10.....IMO its not even really close

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
E-rod-Eichel-Reinhart
Galchenyuk-RHN-Oloffson
Wilson-Mittlestadt-Okposo
Girgs-Larrson-Baptise

First qualifier - I love Olofsson. I've watched dozens of his games (the benefits of being back in school and having the time) over the last few seasons and he was my favorite prospect for a long, long time. That said, he's my favorite because he scores in the SHL, but he's going to have to show he can establish position and finish at the NHL level. Can he do it? I hope like hell he does. Will he? Eh... he's not big and he's not as elusive as a skater as smaller players usually need to be to succeed. I want him to be a scoring line option as much as the next guy, perhaps more so given time invested, but he's far, far, far from a sure thing.

And he's a LW. He plays RW on the PP, but he lines up and patrols LW with Frolunda so that seems more likely to be the place he slots in with the Sabres/Amerks.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
lmao Oilers had trouble getting production out of people not named Mcdavid/Drai oh heres the answer lets trade the center who had really good stats with Mcdavid to end the seaosn plus the 10th overall to get a f***ing prospect who won't be in the league next year or atleast won't help them make the playoffs and who isn't any better than a guy in JP that we already have. The idiocy from anyone in this thread who says anyone but the Oilers get fleeced is astounding.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
well RNH can play with McDavid right now.

The funny thing is that Oilers might pick the same guy at #3 (Boqvist) that they might have a shot at at #10

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
So I proposed a 3 way trade on another thread. 3 teams that could use pieces from other teams.

To Buffalo
RNH
Galchenyuk

To Montreal
ROR
10th OV pick

To Edmonton
3rd OV pick
Buffalo's 3rd round pick
David Schlemko ( 2 years at 2.1 million)
Nathan Beaulieu ( 1 year at 2.4 million)

Buffalo downgrades at center, picks up a winger they need and move Beaulieu for cap. Montreal gets their 1c, and moves a few spots down in the draft. Move Schlemko for cap. Edmonton picks Zadina to play Mcdavids wing for the next 10 years and gain cap space now and in the future

This is complete crap. First off, we're giving up the best forward in this deal. Second of all we're not dealing Ryan O'Reilly for a downgrade in Nugent Hopkins and Galchenyuk who isn't a center. Just to get rid of one year of Beaulieu. If we're not getting #3 overall for O'Reilly, this is a laugh and a hang up. Talk about garbage in a return.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
This is complete crap. First off, we're giving up the best forward in this deal. Second of all we're not dealing Ryan O'Reilly for a downgrade in Nugent Hopkins and Galchenyuk who isn't a center. Just to get rid of one year of Beaulieu. If we're not getting #3 overall for O'Reilly, this is a laugh and a hang up. Talk about garbage in a return.

I don't see how its that awful. We don't need 2 centers coming back. Sure RNH is a downgrade, bit look at Buffalo's roster. Do you see any 50 point wingers on there besides Reinhart? Trading one great player for 2 good ones sometimes isn't so bad if your team has no depth.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Since Oilers are getting garbage D they don’t need and will sit in the press box - the Sabres need to take back Lucic at 100% or Russell. Sabres aren’t winning at time soon so they can afford dead weight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad