News Article: Montreal bars face a 1500% increase in broadcasting rights

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Quebec fans should just tell Molson, that they are going to boycott Molson/Coors products.

When the WHA was folding, and the Jets/Oilers/Nordiques wanted to join the NHL, it was beer that got those three teams into the league.
Apparently Ben Haskin's owner of the Jets told David Molson (chairmen of the expansion committee), "If the Jets and Oilers don't get an NHL franchise, you will never sell a beer west of Ontario again."

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
The Rogers ownership of NHL broadcast rights twelve year contract last till the end of the 2025-26 season.

However, Rogers has already adjusted games and the broadcast schedules so that the Leafs are prime on Saturday night in Canada channels, and teams like the Habs are generally moved to off times like Friday or local non HNIC channels. Step 1.

Rogers charges exorbitantly more for NHL hockey rights for all teams shown on TVs in bars. Step 2.

Next year, Rogers in a PR move for their own team, offer bars free rights to Leafs games. Bars across Canada save money by only offering Leafs games. Step 3.

Center Ice for home use then goes up by triple or more, unless you have a Rogers cell phone, which if you do, you get Center Ice for free. People switch to Rogers. Step 4.

After eight years of this everybody still watching hockey in Canada on TV or in bars becomes Leafs fans because of not seeing any other games, or have a Rogers cell phone subscription. Step 5.

All merely a diabolical plot by Rogers to make people fans of their team for selling more Leafs merchandise and to sell more Rogers cell phone subscriptions. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
All merely a diabolical plot by Rogers to make people fans of their team for selling more Leafs merchandise and to sell more Rogers cell phone subscriptions. :sarcasm:

You're theory might be pretty accurate. If their is a silver lining, Bell and therefore TSN are equal shareholders of the MLSE. Bell doesn't want Rogers grabbing all the money, so they will fight Rogers, unless Bell/TSN or the Leafs benefit .
Funny how Bell and Rogers are equal owners of the Leafs, I think it's 45% each, but make no mistake they really hate each other, though they still collude to screw the Canadian public their telecommunications "monopoly."

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
Funny they would go after bars so hard considering they peddle the urine Molson calls beer.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
So is the money worth the bad PR this generates right now? I guess everyone will have forgotten by next year.If I'm Molson, unless absolutely necessary, I avoid anything that makes me look bad in any way whatsoever for at least the next year.

The prices should go down, not up, because that's the direction the product is going.

There isn't a single positive thing about the Montreal Canadiens right now.Not one.At least in the late 90s early-2000s they had legitimate financial problems which could explain their abysmal mediocrity, but now it's just a farce of a management.

Reactions: Sorinth

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
You're theory might be pretty accurate. If their is a silver lining, Bell and therefore TSN are equal shareholders of the MLSE. Bell doesn't want Rogers grabbing all the money, so they will fight Rogers, unless Bell/TSN or the Leafs benefit .
Funny how Bell and Rogers are equal owners of the Leafs, I think it's 45% each, but make no mistake they really hate each other, though they still collude to screw the Canadian public their telecommunications "monopoly."

It's not really all Bell Enterprise Services.
  • 8047286 Canada Inc. (Rogers/Bell joint holding company) – 75%
    • Rogers Communications – 50% (net ownership 37.5%)
    • 7680147 Canada Inc. (Bell holding company) – 50%
      • Bell Canada Enterprises – 74.67% (net ownership 28%)
      • BCE Master Trust Fund (investment fund of Bell's pension plan) – 25.33% (net ownership 9.5%)[372]
  • Kilmer Sports (holding company of Larry Tanenbaum) – 25%
The BCE Master Trust Fund is an arm's length company from Bell services, else Bell would have violated NHL ownership rules. Bell scrambled to get in there and be part of it and this was the only way they could do it.

Rogers owns the NHL TV rights separately till 2026 which gives it an edge in the money grab.

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
The Rogers ownership of NHL broadcast rights twelve year contract last till the end of the 2025-26 season.

However, Rogers has already adjusted games and the broadcast schedules so that the Leafs are prime on Saturday night in Canada channels, and teams like the Habs are generally moved to off times like Friday or local non HNIC channels. Step 1.

Rogers charges exorbitantly more for NHL hockey rights for all teams shown on TVs in bars. Step 2.

Next year, Rogers in a PR move for their own team, offer bars free rights to Leafs games. Bars across Canada save money by only offering Leafs games. Step 3.

Center Ice for home use then goes up by triple or more, unless you have a Rogers cell phone, which if you do, you get Center Ice for free. People switch to Rogers. Step 4.

After eight years of this everybody still watching hockey in Canada on TV or in bars becomes Leafs fans because of not seeing any other games, or have a Rogers cell phone subscription. Step 5.

There's so much horse manure packed in this post that no shovel can help through it.

Let's, however, concentrate on your first point. How many Friday games would you say MTL has played over the last several seasons? Do you think it's considerably more than the average across the NHL? More-so, do you believe it's significantly more than any other Canadian team(s)? Please provide some proof.

Also, what do you consider a "non HNIC channel"? Do you mean a non-CBC/City channels that one can't tune into via OTA antennae?

These tinfoil hat theories are laughable.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
There's so much horse manure packed in this post that no shovel can help through it.

Let's, however, concentrate on your first point. How many Friday games would you say MTL has played over the last several seasons? Do you think it's considerably more than the average across the NHL? More-so, do you believe it's significantly more than any other Canadian team(s)? Please provide some proof.

Also, what do you consider a "non HNIC channel"? Do you mean a non-CBC/City channels that one can't tune into via OTA antennae?

proof ?? how about you take a 5 minutes and look it up for yourself ?

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Over the last three seasons MTL has played one more Friday game than TOR has.

Over the last 6 seasons we have played 3 more than them.
an average of (guessing) 4 or 5 per season... Montreal bars can't wait for the fee increases, thanks to the NHL their friday nights will finally be worth it financially!

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
an average of (guessing) 4 or 5 per season... Montreal bars can't wait for the fee increases, thanks to the NHL their friday nights will finally be worth it financially!
I briefly went over each Canadian team and their Fri games over the last 6 seasons. I don't think there's one team that played less than 5 games on that week day (I could be wrong here). The numbers are nearly identical across all Canadian clubs over the time span.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I briefly went over each Canadian team and their Fri games over the last 6 seasons. I don't think there's one team that played less than 5 games on that week day (I could be wrong here). The numbers are nearly identical across all Canadian clubs over the time span.
good on them, changes nothing for bar owners though.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013

It was sarcasm genius. LOL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad