News Article: Montreal bars face a 1500% increase in broadcasting rights

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
Some people do go to places like 1909 and La Cage. It's sad but some people just have really ****ty lives.
Like I said it was free because it was doing so badly they sent season ticket holders $150 free gift card there (can even use it for tax+tip). I don't understand what they were thinking with that place. Such a wasted opportunity. That restaurant/bar is on pace with the quality of the Habs. A few good pieces here n there but overall a miserable tragedy. And just like the Habs they are overcharging and by the looks of it, they didn't spend anywhere near their budget/cap.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Paying 129$ when your sales go up like crazy sounds like peanuts to be honest...

[MOD]

How do you justify something like this? The product is worse then ever and they have the audacity of augmenting the price, not by 25% or 50% which wouldnt be bad... but by 1500%? It's a slap in the face of the customers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
[MOD]

What I meant is that you always parrot the establishment line and it's kind of lame actually.

If you read the thread you may have seen when I pointed the finger at the broadcadters in one of my previous posts, but at the same time you think the Habs arent management arent in on this? The broadcadters raise x15 their products price and you think they dont have something to say about it? It's kind of a really important decisions regarding viewers count and advertising.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
What I meant is that you always parrot the establishment line and it's kind of lame actually.

If you read the thread you may have seen when I pointed the finger at the broadcadters in one of my previous posts, but at the same time you think the Habs arent management arent in on this? The broadcadters raise x15 their products price and you think they dont have something to say about it? It's kind of a really important decisions regarding viewers count and advertising.

No! This has nothing to do with the Habs.

This is a Rogers/Quebecor/Bell and whoever has the rights thing.

What's lame though, it's you trying to twist everything into an anti Bergevin/Habs thing!Sickening!

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
No! This has nothing to do with the Habs.

This is a Rogers/Quebecor/Bell and whoever has the rights thing.

What's lame though, it's you trying to twist everything into an anti Bergevin/Habs thing!Sickening!

You still think that its not that bad to multiply the price by 15 when there is a great chance that next year will be as horrible as last year, when we finished 4th last in the league. So they make the business pay for a product that is likely to dip in interest even more. It's absolute robbery.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I have mostly avoided this thread but I have to ask, would Montreal fans actually even want to go to any bar and watch this team if it is similar to what we iced last year?

Reactions: Habaneros

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto

They don’t get any of that last piece though? They’ve given the rights to Rogers and bell which means unless it’s something egregiously breaking the contract they have no say.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
I recently saw a creative fix where a bar set up computer stations hooked up to projection screens where you could pay to play or watch what you wanted to on the computers. So come game time people pitched money in and everyone rented the computers to load streams of the basketball game.

Someone will shut them down one day I'm sure but the fees are getting dumb. They don't realize if you charge too much, you'll just push people to stay home and steal illegal feeds. Nobody wins then.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
They don’t get any of that last piece though? They’ve given the rights to Rogers and bell which means unless it’s something egregiously breaking the contract they have no say.

Your phrasing is unfortunate. Neither the Habs nor the NHL give away anything, especially broadcast rights. They sell them very dearly indeed. In fact everyone along that gravy train makes money with the exception of the end user, the fan.

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
Habs games last year had a lorazepam-like effect on me. No sleeping pills needed, 100% natural treatment :laugh:

No chance I go to a bar where I'll pay 6.50$ to drink piss and fall asleep . For 6,50$ I can get a quite good micro beer To enjoy.

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
Not surprised there's beer snobs on here.
:laugh:

I'll enjoy an ice cold Canadian, Michelob Ultra or Bud light or whatever while at home on a sunny day. No biggie. I won't pay 6 bucks for a pint of Bud Light, sorry. It's cool if you do but I just can't wrap my head around paying that much for it. 24$ for a 24 pack yeah! No problem there lol.

The beer snob is ready for the RockFest with his craft beers :sarcasm:

20180527_134817.jpg

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Soon at this rhythm in a short time, Montreal's citizens obligated to pay a new BS oblagation: the radio broadcasting rights ( not free anymore) :D

Yannman

May 25, 2018
There was already a large increase last season

Bell and Rogers offer sports bars unpleasant choice: Give us more money or lose TSN and Sportsnet
Bell and Rogers to charge bars and restaurants more soon for TV sports packages | CBC News

This one may be Habs/FR specific? I have a hard time believing the 10 000 number unless this is a large bar.

This was for the rest of canada. Probably because they had to figure out what they wanted to do with the french stations...

In Québec, these augments did not aplly. It starts in july for rogers and bell media and august for quebecor.

Reactions: Price is Wright

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
You still think that its not that bad to multiply the price by 15 when there is a great chance that next year will be as horrible as last year, when we finished 4th last in the league. So they make the business pay for a product that is likely to dip in interest even more. It's absolute robbery.

Again! This has nothing to do with the Habs.

Molson/Habs won't get more money out of this.

wich bar see their sales increase like CRAZY on a monday night ?

Are you seriously arguing that hockey's not bringing clients into bars?

If there's no game on monday you'll have even less customers.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Again! This has nothing to do with the Habs.

Molson/Habs won't get more money out of this.

Are you seriously arguing that hockey's not bringing clients into bars?

If there's no game on monday you'll have even less customers.
LIKE CRAZY were your exact words.

You do not know how the bar business works.

jackeymoon

Tropical!
Jan 16, 2018
Northern Ontario
Paying 129$ when your sales go up like crazy sounds like peanuts to be honest...

You've never worked or owned a business. Most, like 80+% of bars either don't make money or they're just barely breaking even and it's not worth spending 129+$ on a garbage product on a Wednesday night and the bar flies are your only customers.

Trust me, aside from specifically located sports bars on Friday, Saturday nights and even then it usually only INCREASES from the norm during a post-season run, your sales will not "go up like crazy".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad