News Article: Montreal bars face a 1500% increase in broadcasting rights

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl

walsy37

Jul 12, 2006
Not sure I understand. Bars/Restaurants need to pay a fee to show games? Isn't it just on TV?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Not sure I understand. Bars/Restaurants need to pay a fee to show games? Isn't it just on TV?

I can not say about Quebec--but when I ran a bar in Vancouver for ten years we had to pay a yearly licensing fee to show the games--it was only about $1000 but this was about 20 years ago--but we never paid it because we were a Molson house and they "paid it"--

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
well, how much to show good hockey like Vegas?..lol

So i guess the way the bean counters at Bell are looking at it like this $121.95 a game x 82 games ..$10,000

For some bars it may still be worth it if they think $121.95 a game brings them in much more..and i would think they could write off these fees on business income taxes?

Sucks for the little guys tho .anytime you go from $600 to $10,000 ,major bill shock..

Somebody gotta pay for better hotdogs at Bell...lol

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
well, how much to show good hockey like Vegas?..lol

So i guess the way the bean counters at Bell are looking at it at is $121.95 a game x 82 games ..$10,000

For some bars it may still be worth it is they think $121.95 a game brings them in much more..and i would think they could write off these fees on business income taxes?

Sucks for the little guys tho .anytime you go from $600 to $10,000 ,major bill shock..

Somebody gotta pay for better hotdogs at Bell...lol

They can probably still make profits but much less than they did. I went a few times to watch games in bars and those place usually empty up once the game is over especially on weekdays (or they go drink/party elsewhere).

Reactions: uiCk

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
They can probably still make profits but much less than they did. I went a few times to watch games in bars and those place usually empty up once the game is over especially on weekdays (or they go drink/party elsewhere).

a season like last year, people stop going to bars to watch..it was in the news alot ...in a case where Habs suck so bad the bars should get refunds or partial reimbursements on the $10,000..lol

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
I believe this will cover all games not just Montreal home or away games
Will it? I'm not sure I 100% understand the technical details here. In the article, it says that Bell has not yet commented on this raise but isn't it Sportsnet that owns the rights to most NHL games? Maybe it just has to do with games broadcast on RDS (and TSN)?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Will it? I'm not sure I 100% understand the technical details here. In the article, it says that Bell has not yet commented on this raise but isn't it Sportsnet that owns the rights to most NHL games? Maybe it just has to do with games broadcast on RDS (and TSN)?

I am just going off of what I delt with in the bar I ran--we paid a yearly license to show ALL nhl games--whether the canucks were playing or not

Reactions: PuckSeparator

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
I believe this will cover all games not just Montreal home or away games

Well, another option for bars who don't want to shell out 10,000 is to turn the TV's off, and turn the radio on up loud...lol might be way cheaper......Habs game on radio..just like the old days.lol

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
I am just going off of what I delt with in the bar I ran--we paid a yearly license to show ALL nhl games--whether the canucks were playing or not
Did you pay this fee to your TV provider or the NHL rights owner? Just curious that's all, we know that Bell owns RDS and TSN, as well as a part of the Montreal Canadiens but you can watch the Habs on Videotron as well.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Would this be nation wide? Seems kinda odd that it would only apply to the Habs and their region.

Also, what about bypassing and getting games directly from the NHL? Is that a work around?

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010

Bell (TSN/RDS) has the rights to about 60 games.
Videotron (TVA-sports) owns all Saturday/playoffs games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad