OT: Montreal Alouettes 2018 Thread

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Sorry to intrude dear Habs fans.

I really do not see a downside to that trade. Can the Als suck MORE? They have been a cruel joke ever since Calvillo retired.

Manziel has huge upside and seems to be committed. Sure, if he is TOO successful, he will likely leave for the US fairly soon, but it will at least have generated a buzz and brought a little bit of excitement back to the Als.

Just keep him away from Chez Parée :laugh:

Reactions: Laurentide

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014

It's a massive payment for a guy who hasn't done anything yet, but what it will do immediately (hopefully) is get butts in the seats and interest ramped back up. Since Popp, Trestman and Calvillo left, the Als have been dying a slow death. That needs to change.

The major problem with this deal is once Manziel leaves to go play in the States in 2 years, the Als will once again be left without a QB and without their next 3 first round picks (used next years on Tyler Johnstone via the supplemental draft) . Kavis Reed has destroyed this franchise for the next little while and the Als need to make a clean sweep of their football operations.

Last edited:

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
It's a massive payment for a guy who hasn't done anything yet, but what it will do immediately (hopefully) is get butts in the seats and interest ramped back up. Since Popp, Trestman and Calvillo left, the Als have been dying a slow death. That needs to change.

The major problem with this deal is once Manziel leaves to go play in the States in 2 years, the Als will once again be left without a QB and without their next 3 first round picks (used next years on Tyler Johnstone via the supplemental draft) . Kavis Reed has destroyed this franchise for the next little while and the Als need to make a clean sweep of their football operations.
Well maybe this time they'll learn their lesson that they should have learned in the waning years of the Calvillo era when they could see the writing on the wall but consistently refused to groom a successor. I'm in favor of the trade because the Als can't get any worse. That, and I think that Manziel's style of play is more conducive to the CFL game than the NFL game. I think he can be a huge success in this league much the same as Doug Flutie was. But the double-edged sword is that the more successful he becomes the sooner he goes back to the States so the Als have to plan for the day when he's not here anymore and they have to plan better than what they did in Calvillo's final couple of seasons.

The good news is that now, when Rod Black inevitably utters the words "Johnny Football" every 30 seconds of every broadcast, at least the guy will actually be playing and not standing on the sidelines with a clipboard in his hands.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
This deal is the sort of thing that happens when you are a team that needs to win games in order to fill the stands and make money: your GM will go out and actually try to do something. On the other hand, when you have a team that is a license to print money no matter what crap it puts on the ice, you get $8 million worth of unused cap space and a GM who tells you that "trades are hard".

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Sorry to intrude dear Habs fans.

I really do not see a downside to that trade. Can the Als suck MORE? They have been a cruel joke ever since Calvillo retired.

Manziel has huge upside and seems to be committed. Sure, if he is TOO successful, he will likely leave for the US fairly soon, but it will at least have generated a buzz and brought a little bit of excitement back to the Als.

Just keep him away from Chez Parée :laugh:
You kidding right, if he sticks to chez paree, we will do fine,
Just keep him away from uncle pablo's foot soldiers, and we will be fine

Reactions: dinodebino

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
This deal is the sort of thing that happens when you are a team that needs to win games in order to fill the stands and make money: your GM will go out and actually try to do something. On the other hand, when you have a team that is a license to print money no matter what crap it puts on the ice, you get $8 million worth of unused cap space and a GM who tells you that "trades are hard".

Well they have a gm that is possibly worst then MB, and that is after they had the best GM in the cfl for many years

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Well they have a gm that is possibly worst then MB, and that is after they had the best GM in the cfl for many years
Popp was good for a long time but he lost his mojo when he decided that he could coach. And as great as he was he never properly addressed the QB situation even though he knew that Calvillo wasn't going to be around forever. The team was totally unprepared for his retirement.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
Interesting... The Als can't be worse than they already are but will they improve enough to make the playoffs? The price was hefty with 2 first rounders seeing as where the team is at the moment.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Interesting... The Als can't be worse than they already are but will they improve enough to make the playoffs? The price was hefty with 2 first rounders seeing as where the team is at the moment.
The East is weak, all they need is to start winning. I like these new players, hopefully, it'll make a difference. Draft picks aren't worth all that much in the CFL.

habmercy

Aug 19, 2017
Bowman from Winnipeg for pick. Now Manziel will have someone who runs a pattern once every three plays to throw to. Could be a real threat lulling the D to sleep.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I cant believe Johnny Football is an Alouette lol, i mean fast forwarding 5 years since he won the heisman i just never even thought this could ever be a possibility lol

After what he had done, reading everything about him, i was done with him, i was disgusted and i was glad it all blew up in face, and i truly thought he didnt deserve to be in the NFL, did he have the talent, of course, the attitude, no

ever since then and his comeback journey and the steps he's taken and quitting drinking, all the things he's been saying, been doing, even stuck behind a starting QB in hamilton

i couldnt be happier, after clamoring for weeks that we should trade for him, even as a joke, i wanted him in montreal, i want montreal to be his launch pad back to the NFL potentially one day, but before he does, get us a couple wins Johnny! montreal will love you bud... just stay clean!

Reactions: peate

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
I cant believe Johnny Football is an Alouette lol, i mean fast forwarding 5 years since he won the heisman i just never even thought this could ever be a possibility lol

After what he had done, reading everything about him, i was done with him, i was disgusted and i was glad it all blew up in face, and i truly thought he didnt deserve to be in the NFL, did he have the talent, of course, the attitude, no

ever since then and his comeback journey and the steps he's taken and quitting drinking, all the things he's been saying, been doing, even stuck behind a starting QB in hamilton

i couldnt be happier, after clamoring for weeks that we should trade for him, even as a joke, i wanted him in montreal, i want montreal to be his launch pad back to the NFL potentially one day, but before he does, get us a couple wins Johnny! montreal will love you bud... just stay clean!
In truth, nobody even cares whether or not he stays clean as long as he wins. They didn't care when they signed Lawrence Phillips years ago and I doubt they care now. Just win, baby.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
In truth, nobody even cares whether or not he stays clean as long as he wins. They didn't care when they signed Lawrence Phillips years ago and I doubt they care now. Just win, baby.
I dont, montreal wont

The NFL will.

(his like for alcohol isnt what bothered me, its busting women's ear drums..which was possibly seriously linked to said alcohol however..)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad