Proposal: Montreal _ Anaheim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
latest from writers in anaheim

Mark Whicker of The Orange County Register believes no Anaheim Duck other than goaltender John Gibson should be surprised if they're traded ahead of Feb. 25. Whicker notes, however, that the Ducks are highly unlikely to be able the shed the contracts of Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry or Ryan Kesler this year.
Murray said Sunday he had "no fear" in asking any of the three of them to waive their no-move clauses, but with Perry carrying an $8.625 million cap hit, Getzlaf coming in at $8.25 million and Kesler at $6.875 million, Whicker believes the team may be forced to consider buyouts in the summer.

buy-outs

Any writer who is listing Ryan Getzlaf among potential (forced) buyouts has zero credibility. Kesler, sure. Perry? Eh, I don't think we're there, yet. Getzlaf? Absurd.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

Mark Whicker of The Orange County Register believes no Anaheim Duck other than goaltender John Gibson should be surprised if they're traded ahead of Feb. 25. Whicker notes, however, that the Ducks are highly unlikely to be able the shed the contracts of Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry or Ryan Kesler this year.
Murray said Sunday he had "no fear" in asking any of the three of them to waive their no-move clauses, but with Perry carrying an $8.625 million cap hit, Getzlaf coming in at $8.25 million and Kesler at $6.875 million, Whicker believes the team may be forced to consider buyouts in the summer.

buy-outs

That is called speculation.

I just as easily speculate that Bob is going to assasinate them to avoid buying them out...

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

buy-outs

Even speculating about Getzlaf being bought out should be enough to have a press pass revoked - hilariously unrealistic

mikeysla3

Jul 6, 2015
Any writer who is listing Ryan Getzlaf among potential (forced) buyouts has zero credibility. Kesler, sure. Perry? Eh, I don't think we're there, yet. Getzlaf? Absurd.

This seems to be consistent with the mentality around here.
If you dont agree with something turn it into an attack.
Why you would think a fan (which is short for fanatic) would have more insight into whats happening around a team than a reporter, who spends significantly more time around the team, is quite telling.
Right now the ducks are 2 million over the cap. They have to reach the cap before the start of next year and so it is likely they will deal silfverberg because they cant sign him...but aside from him I dont see any significant players that need new contracts this year... next year montour, sprong and shore do. ... so tough times are coming.
Now in the original post i ASKED what the value of cap relief would be ... and basically not one ducks fan gave any indication of what that value may or may not be.
No suggestions that the 2019 first rounder would have to be top-3 protected, no discussion on different assets - just denial that the Ducks are in bad shape.
So the consensus seems to be "we shall keep our diminishing assets until they are worth next to nothing and then hope we win the lottery"
Thats what Marc bergevin did for 6 years in montreal....

good luck

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
This seems to be consistent with the mentality around here.
If you dont agree with something turn it into an attack.
Why you would think a fan (which is short for fanatic) would have more insight into whats happening around a team than a reporter, who spends significantly more time around the team, is quite telling.
Right now the ducks are 2 million over the cap. They have to reach the cap before the start of next year and so it is likely they will deal silfverberg because they cant sign him...but aside from him I dont see any significant players that need new contracts this year... next year montour, sprong and shore do. ... so tough times are coming.
Now in the original post i ASKED what the value of cap relief would be ... and basically not one ducks fan gave any indication of what that value may or may not be.
No suggestions that the 2019 first rounder would have to be top-3 protected, no discussion on different assets - just denial that the Ducks are in bad shape.
So the consensus seems to be "we shall keep our diminishing assets until they are worth next to nothing and then hope we win the lottery"
Thats what Marc bergevin did for 6 years in montreal....

good luck

We can make a bet if you like. You can count on that reporter's insight and expertise, and I count on my measly understanding of the game of hockey and the organization. Ryan Getzlaf won't be bought out any time soon. Good luck, though.

In regards to the remaining valuation of cap space - we're not quite operating in a vacuum. There are precedents. None of them involve players as good as Getzlaf, and none of them involve top-10 picks.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
We can make a bet if you like. You can count on that reporter's insight and expertise, and I count on my measly understanding of the game of hockey and the organization. Ryan Getzlaf won't be bought out any time soon. Good luck, though.

In regards to the remaining valuation of cap space - we're not quite operating in a vacuum. There are precedents. None of them involve players as good as Getzlaf, and none of them involve top-10 picks.
Buying him out makes no sense on so many levels

a) he is still effective.
b) His contract is bonus laden in 2020-21 and was a bit front loaded so a buyout gives almost 13M in cap hit over 4 years instrad of the 16.5M over 2 keeping him and year 2 (2020-21)still has a cap hit over $7M.

If they truly want to move on from him they could retain 50% a bit over $4M cap hit for 2 years. It is cheaper in Cap hit than a buyout and about the same in real dollars. trading him with a cap hit of $4.125M for 2 years he is a very attractive asset.

This writer need not apply for an assistant GM position.

Reactions: Vipers31

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast

buy-outs
Mark Whicker is not a hockey writer and is one of the dumbest mofos walking the planet on two feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad