Post-Game Talk: Montreal 6- Oilers 2 but of French.

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
Seattle beat Philly so back in 3rd.
I still like our chances at getting at least 2nd. Like last year our second half appears to be when we remember how good of a team we are when we want to be.

Also relatively “Normal” games from
McDavid the last 5-6 (yesterday he was good though)

Time to go home, reset, get some home cooking and lovin and then head back to the office

Also, paging Ken Holland, hopefully you do something this week.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
I still like our chances at getting at least 2nd. Like last year our second half appears to be when we remember how good of a team we are when we want to be.

Also relatively “Normal” games from
McDavid the last 5-6 (yesterday he was good though)

Time to go home, reset, get some home cooking and lovin and then head back to the office

Also, paging Ken Holland, hopefully you do something this week.
Also it’s important to remember we own both tie breakers against the Kraken.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
If someone had said the Oilers are going to go 1-1 this weekend against the Sens and Habs but get outscored 9-8, I don't think I'd have believed it.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Embarrassing work effort to close out a solid road trip where they didn't play really well but well enough to take points. Can't win every game but I lose my shit when the effort level isn't put in. The Oilers were soft and out skated and badly out worked to start this game. PP was off today and really not great lately.

Reactions: ManByng and Sanchez

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
they were more concerned about their Super Bowl party then they were of winning a hockey game today

pathetic performance from the leaders of the team to Skinner

they deserved to get blown out
Did the Hab players not also realize the SB is on today?:D If that's the excuse, it's incredibly lame. Hopefully they don't mail it in on Masters Sunday, Mother's Day or the Wimbledon Finals.

• Haha
Reactions: bellagiobob

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
We've had a really good run, but there is some concern. I don't think they've played particularly well coming out of the break. Some great goaltending got them a few of those 5 points they secured, and these are bottom feeders we're talking about. Now, for another longish break and then the dreaded first game back after a road trip.
Kenny, I hope you have some magic up your sleeve, because your team definitely needs a jolt right now, and going forward.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
As others have said, felt like this games been coming for awhile.
Absolutely. Today, the goaltending and some fortunate breaks finally couldn't bail us out, and we got what we deserved.

For those that usually say we didn't get any penalty breaks whenever we lose, we got 6 chances today, including the lengthy 5 on 3, and went a paltry 1 for 6 and also gave up a shorty. Too many cute plays by the stars, and this was yet another one where we needed to get greasy and in Allen's vision and face instead of making him look like an all-star.

Reactions: Oilhawks

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Draisaitl without McDavid is ... quite something.

Screen Shot 2023-02-12 at 3.45.20 PM.png

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Hope they miss the playoffs . Could of been first in the division and they play like shit. If you can't get motivated to be first you are underserving.

Congratulations on the clown post of the day

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
Embarrassing work effort to close out a solid road trip where they didn't play really well but well enough to take points. Can't win every game but I lose my shit when the effort level isn't put in. The Oilers were soft and out skated and badly out worked to start this game. PP was off today and really not great lately.
Doesn't help when you let in 2 PP goals and a shorty ! A team like Montreal you have to be careful with because they skate well and work hard so if you don't do that as well they can cream you like we saw today !

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Draisaitl without McDavid is ... quite something.

View attachment 649471
When McDavid, Draisaitl, or both are on the ice 5-on-5, the grand tally is: 67 goals for, 70 goals against. When neither of them are on the ice, we've outscored our opponents by 10 goals -- 49 to 39.

Mind you, when both of them are on together, they've outscored the other side by 4 goals. It's not super fantastic, but at least it's in the positive.

Overall, I just haven't been all that impressed thus far with their play at even-strength. I've boasted about their two-way game last year -- especially McDavid. But they haven't been bringing it this year. I'm always open to changing my mind, and I hope that defensive effort awakens down the stretch. Not good to just always rely on your PP to outscore your opponents. And I'm not saying they've been awful defensively. Mostly they're pretty good. There's just too many lapses here and there, and I want to see them clean that up.

I do want to add, they have been picking it up the last dozen or so games. Things were pretty brutal early on with the goaltending, and that didn't help things. Don't want to come across too critical here. Can't be perfect, and there's going to be off games like today.

Last edited:
Reactions: AddyTheWrath

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
When McDavid, Draisaitl, or both are on the ice 5-on-5, the grand tally is: 67 goals for, 70 goals against. When neither of them are on the ice, we've outscored our opponents by 10 goals -- 49 to 39.

Mind you, when both of them are on together, they've outscored the other side by 4 goals. It's not super fantastic, but at least it's in the positive.

Overall, I just haven't been all that impressed thus far with their play at even-strength. I've boasted about their two-way game last year -- especially McDavid. But they haven't been bringing it this year. I'm always open to changing my mind, and I hope that defensive effort awakens down the stretch. Not good to just always rely on your PP to outscore your opponents. And I'm not saying they've been awful defensively. Mostly they're pretty good. There's just too many lapses here and there, and I want to see them clean that up.

This is largely a factor of poor puck luck, tbh. McDavid and Draisaitl respectively, with regards to expected goals:

Screenshot_20230212-175327.png

Screenshot_20230212-175411.png

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
This is largely a factor of poor puck luck, tbh. McDavid and Draisaitl respectively, with regards to expected goals:

View attachment 649517
View attachment 649516
Yeah, I think they've been a bit unlucky with some scoring chances. But I'm referring to defensive lapses like McDavid (and his entire line, frankly) on the 2nd goal, and Drai on the 5th. Just seeing too much of that for my taste. These two can be two-way beasts; McDavid did it for large stretches last season. Would like to see that again, and hopefully it happens down the stretch.

To be fair, they have been picking it up recently. Today is an off game, but I know they still have more to offer.

Reactions: MessierII

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad