OT: Montréal Impact Thread - Worst Team in Town, Best Team in Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Dries Mertens....
I think it’s a longshot, but what a signing that would be.

Attachments

• 794DE138-023B-40C1-8D5F-F12879A257CE.png
    794DE138-023B-40C1-8D5F-F12879A257CE.png
    252.3 KB · Views: 3

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
It's not the coaching candidate most of us expected, but you have to admit that it's a damn marketing coup for the team. He'll sure put some asses in the seats, just because it's the legend. I mean, Thierry Henry. Honestly. In a market like Montreal? That's big name for you.

Impact is upstaging everybody today in the MLS circles.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
Honestly... this hype is close to Drogba level, which is great news as that's when the impact played their best. We also saw what a coach with a decent reputation in Europe brought us, versus what a guy like Biello managed to do... I think we put too much focus on the impact a coach really has.

For now, he costs less than Garde, brings more excitement than Garde, and hopefully brings more talent! That last part can be an underrated factor in his signing. Henry can bring some players in.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Si les rumeurs @dries_mertens14 en #MLS refont surface, avec @ThierryHenry à l'#IMFC, il y aura une destination sérieusement privilégiée : le néo-Montréalais tient l'attaquant de Naples en haute estime (et Mme Ciman a déjà fait visiter Montréal a Mme Mertens).

This is too much in 1 day..

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Dries Mertens....
I think it’s a longshot, but what a signing that would be.

why this guy keep talking about Dries Mertens? Always Dries Mertens this, Dries Mertens that, like he is still VERY GOOD in Italy as far as I know? Now someone who can totally join this team is Radamel Falcao. His fav player is Henry and he literally only went to Turkey to collect a paycheck where its not going well.

Jack Wilshere said he is interested in coming now a former teammate of Titi. And LA wanna replace Zlatan with... Cavani. Darwin Quintero is traded to Houston.

With that being said, Henry here means Nazon will join and Potato is out tomorrow AM. There is no way a guy who played with Busquets, Vieira, Fabregas and Gilberto Silva tolerates him.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Right now it looks like a great PR move. How good of manager will he be? I have my doubts he'll be any better than the last few coaches we had. As for those claiming he could help with bringing over talent, I have one question. Why would the Henry magic work in Montreal but not in Monaco where he was just let go? Why didn't his Rolodex work there?

Boardish

Mar 3, 2004
That’s huge, I’m hyped.

With Renard, Henry and the Champions League, we might be able to attract real talent this window.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Congratulations on the hire, difficult to know if it will work, but the stars are aligning a lot better than in Monaco for Henry, that's for sure.

Some more info on the Monaco thing: the big picture is that the club is owned by a Russian billionaire who has been involved/accused of being involved in a dodgy art dealer situation for a few years. He tried to influence the outcome by allegedly influence the interior minister of Monaco which left the Prince very displeased. So turmoil in Monaco, and as a consequence, turmoil at the club at that time as the prince forced to regain influence within it (hiring & promotion of a grandson).

At a sporting level, the club has had great success with Jardim and a couple of squads that involved guys like Bernardo Silva (now key player at City) and MBappe; on summers 2016,17 & 18, the GM sold at for absolute fortune most of the players to invest in promising young players. This was the concept: get young promising 'starlets', play them for a year or two and sell them. Nothing romantic about it.

This left the squad with some potential last year but question marks, and a rather thin roster in terms of leadership: the team sank under Jardim. He got sacked with the team towards the bottom of Ligue 1 & that's when Henry was hired. The team was already in disarray and injuries kept mounting (not trying to make excuses for Henry here, don't get me wrong) including the last talisman Falcao.

Henry was unable to stop the bleeding and some games were hampered but stupid sending off - those young players were struggling to cope with the pressure of the league position, perhaps even struggling with the pressure of the extra spotlight/media attention that Henry's first manager position, brought.

Henry did not demonstrate much ability in sorting this mess out to be honest. There were some moments where he did not seem to connect with the players - there also were conflicting influence in the locker room with some more senior players still very unhappy with the Jardim firing.

By the time the January transfer window came, the team was in no better league position. Falcao finally recovered from injury, and Henry was granted his wish in getting Fabregas in. But within a few days of that happening, and with strange timing, he was sacked. Oh and Jardim returned. Make what you want of that and Monaco's current management/ownership (Monaco is a great/historical club and this whole mess feels very unsuited).

I think this second manager experience will be helped by starting a season fresh (not in the middle of it) and have a chance to influence how the squad is built from the get go. He will want experienced players and players who know how to behave professionally; he will relish not to have to be a father figure.

He is very much a north american guy now, he loves it (he was at Tony Parker retirement ceremony in San Antonio this week). And I really believe that he is very excited about Montreal.

He is a London kind of guy and dull/rich Monaco, not so much for him these days. I think it is significant that he has already mentioned that he is looking forward to engaging with the multicultural aspect of the city and its people. He is going to feel a lot more at home with you, I can tell you that.

Anyway let's hope for the best. There is no certainty about this aside that he needs for this to work, and he is a determined & extremely competitive guy, and deserve some trust.

Good luck to all, à la votre!

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Messi-Zlatan-Mertens upfront will be lethal

can’t wait for next season

Where's Urruti?

:sarcasm:

Both Giroud and Mertens contracts expire next June. Mertens is still in the starting XI, Giroud is not. It would be probably easier to get Giroud in January than Mertens (unless Zlatan goes to Napoli). Both would be nice still.

Diop
Cabrera - Camacho - Raitala
Piette
Orji - Messi - Bojan - Lassi
Giroud - Mertens

:snide:

(according to TM, his favorite setup is a 3-4-2-1)

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Where's Urruti?

:sarcasm:

Both Giroud and Mertens contracts expire next June. Mertens is still in the starting XI, Giroud is not. It would be probably easier to get Giroud in January than Mertens (unless Zlatan goes to Napoli). Both would be nice still.

Diop
Cabrera - Camacho - Raitala
Piette
Orji - Messi - Bojan - Lassi
Giroud - Mertens

:snide:

(according to TM, his favorite setup is a 3-4-2-1)
I fear his tactical ambition will not be suitable in MLS, but at least he knows the MLS. I hope he has the realism and humbleness to adapt and implement a very sober 4-2-3-1.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Right now it looks like a great PR move. How good of manager will he be? I have my doubts he'll be any better than the last few coaches we had. As for those claiming he could help with bringing over talent, I have one question. Why would the Henry magic work in Montreal but not in Monaco where he was just let go? Why didn't his Rolodex work there?

Huh whatcha talkin 'bout. He brought Fabregas and Gelson Martins and another dude to Monaco.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad