Proposal: Montréal and Edmonton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Savard is on another tier completly than Ceci tho

Ceci is borderline NHL caliber, Savard would be a top tier 3rd pair that can play on second pair
Ceci his been fine when his minutes are not ridiculous. As a #4 he is worth his contract.

Right now he has 13 points and is a +10 while playing effectively the role of the #1A/B RHD. The Oilers certainly would like to be able to replace him with an Ekholm level RHD but Savard is not that. There would be no reason for the Oilers to consider this trade.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
View attachment 814981

What exactly is he stabilizing?

He'd be an offensive improvement on Ceci (which is kind of wild) but look at those defence and PK numbers. Woof. View attachment 814982

Ceci is no great shakes either, but I'm damned sure not giving up a first rounder to go from one to the other. Especially considering Savard's age and injury history.
If you don't think the the numbers flip massively the other way based on the overall group in front of Ceci, I don't know what to tell you. Savard is playing with guys under 22 most nights and a shell of a forward group.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
If you don't think the the numbers flip massively the other way based on the overall group in front of Ceci, I don't know what to tell you. Savard is playing with guys under 22 most nights and a shell of a forward group.
That's taken in to account with the "teammates" number. It doesn't make Savard's performance any better. He's been brutal defensively for some time.

Habs fans tried using similar arguments to pump up Joel Edmundson's value, saying they'd get a first from someone because Montreal was bad so he was undervalued. He eventually got a 3rd and a 7th and is a bottom pairing D in Washington now.

Montreal's much better with him off the ice. They have an XG of 52% with him off, 35% with him on. I'm sincerely not sure I'd even flip them straight across, given that Savard is older, more expensive, and has a lengthy injury history.

Reactions: Homesick

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Montreal Canadiens’ general manager Kent Hughes confirmed with media that the team has no intentions of parting ways with defenseman David Savard. Savard, currently in his third season with the Canadiens, secured a four-year, $14 million contract through unrestricted free agency in the summer of 2021, marking a significant move in his 11-year career, as he returned to his hometown team.

He never said that the team has no intentions of trading Savard....the intentional misquoting and dishonest paraphrasing around here would make Ben Shapiro envious lol.

He clearly stated that he currently has no plans to trade him which can simply be posturing and also can mean that he could consider trading him at any moment but is not actively pursuing it at the moment he provided this quote. The one thing it absolutely does not mean is that he has no intentions of trading him period.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
What I meant was that if you play Savard on your 3rd Line, you're pretty loaded on defense, since he can Play Higher on the line-up, while Ceci straight up suck and his current gig with the Oilers is most likely his last job at the NHL level
I understand the ignorant attempt to aggravate Oilers fans, but other than factless opinion, do you have any other evidence to support your elite 3rd pairing vs last contract comparison. I watch a lot of hockey, Mtl and Edm both and 5 years ago I would have been a bit more on board with your statements, but not this season.

Over the past 3 seasons (this year and the previous 2) this is the comparables for the two players and yes I know stat watching isn't the best way to compare players but I have a lot of eye test data as well.

Savard: Games played 151 out of his teams 213 games played - average of 58 games per 82; 48 points; combined -46; 222 hits, 388 blocked shots, 144 give aways; 27 take aways; 21:25 toi; 3:08 pk toi (and to dispell the "well his stats look better because he's on the Oilers" arguement - when Savard went to TB he played 14 regular season games, went pointless and was a -8).

Ceci: games played 203 of his teams 209 played - average of 80 games per 82; 56 points; combined +29; 286 hits; 296 blocked shots; 91 give aways; 46 take aways; 20:27 toi; 2:45 pk toi;

Players stats seem very comparable, but Ceci has stayed healthy, is younger and has a lower cap hit. I don't see any reason why the Oilers would be looking to add Savard at the cost of Ceci - in fact I don't think they would. But wanting the Oilers in exchange their 1st for MTL's 2nd makes this even more lop-sided and less likely to happen from the Oilers.

Montreal's players are trashes according to HFBoard posters. It's quite understandable that we got fever because we got so many 1st picks for these good-for-nothing players.
How many wins have all those picks produced?

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Oiler fans have been crying on how bad Ceci has been for the whole season till NOW. All of a sudden he has become good.
Face it Ceci is the bottom of the bottom tier D-man. Savard is easily and i mean easily better than Ceci. Only Oiler homers would disagree .

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Oiler fans have been crying on how bad Ceci has been for the whole season till NOW. All of a sudden he has become good.
Face it Ceci is the bottom of the bottom tier D-man. Savard is easily and i mean easily better than Ceci. Only Oiler homers would disagree .
Other Oilers fans have mentioned Ceci is doing ok these days, but I think confusion is understandable in other fanbases since he's been disliked for a long time.

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
We could care less about what picks bottom feeder teams are collecting while they strip themselves down year after year.

The only reason Oilers fans care at all about that trade is because we are glad to see a competitor get suckered and shoot their load early for a soft, injury prone player who’s been getting pumped on a bad team.
Your comments almost sound like you think the Oilers are a greater organization than the Habs when they can't even match their recent playoff success even with McJesus the prodigy in their lineup.

I bet that's not how you thought it would play out after the 2015 draft uh?

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Oh no. It's steady Eddy 2.0 and Habs fans are once again ravenous for 1st round picks for their scraps!

I'm not sure I'd swap Ceci and Savard 1 for 1 much less give up a first to do it.

• Haha
Reactions: Nico Cauzuki

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Oh no. It's steady Eddy 2.0 and Habs fans are once again ravenous for 1st round picks for their scraps!

I'm not sure I'd swap Ceci and Savard 1 for 1 much less give up a first to do it.
Seriously, why can't Oilers fans shoot down the deal without calling another team's players scraps and trash ?

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Seriously, why can't Oilers fans shoot down the deal without calling another team's players scraps and trash ?

I'm sorry my word choice offended you but he's a player that doesn't serve much purpose on a rebuilding Habs team. A veteran player whose peak is behind him, limited on-ice results, and a not insignificant contract.

Colloquially, he's scrap that they would like to sell off.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
I don't think that's the case. Oilers fans have generally been crapping on Ceci until they turned things around this year, and from what I've seen (limited viewings) he's probably playing his best hockey as an Oiler.

Either way, if the Oilers are giving up a first, it needs to be a clear upgrade, and making a lateral trade at the cost of a first makes no sense. However, IMO it would be smart to add to what they have on the right side, but I don't think Savard gets you a first unless there's a decent sized cap dump involved.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I'm sorry my word choice offended you but he's a player that doesn't serve much purpose on a rebuilding Habs team. A veteran player whose peak is behind him, limited on-ice results, and a not insignificant contract.

Colloquially, he's scrap that they would like to sell off.
No, he isn't scrap.

He's playing a top-4, mentor-type role for Montreal's very young defense.

Would he be a good fit in Edmonton, would he be an upgrade on Ceci - I'll take an Edmonton fans' opinion anytime. But Savard is very useful in Montreal, and sports reporters suggest it's better to keep than trade him, even if the return is a 1st rounder.

Anyone suggesting Savard will be sold for cheap is just entirely unaware of the reality of Montreal's young D.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
after the rumor that dowd can get a 1st im not going to say savard won't get a 1st. savard shouldn't get a 1st, he sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad