Dec 24, 2016
Montréal get:
Cody Ceci
Edmonton 2024 1st

Edmonton get:
David Savard
Colorado 2023 2nd

Almost same contract, but Savard is a much, much better defenseman overall
He can play on 2nd pair easily but would obviously play on 3rd pair with the Oilers
Solid stay at home defenseman, RHD, can clear the front of the net without problem, is strong like an ox, can block shots like it's nobody's business, former winner of the Stanley Cup, etc
In return, we get useless Ceci, but we ain't making it this year or next year, so we don't care that much

Who says no?

Savard is on another tier completly than Ceci tho

Ceci is borderline NHL caliber, Savard would be a top tier 3rd pair that can play on second pair

Why a first?

- Because since you're having a good year, your first Will most likely be in the botton 10 anyway

- Because younsre upgrading, while we are going to take on Ceci, Who would go directly in Laval

Taking Campbell while retaining on Gallagher would cost Much more than only a low first

What I meant was that if you play Savard on your 3rd Line, you're pretty loaded on defense, since he can Play Higher on the line-up, while Ceci straight up suck and his current gig with the Oilers is most likely his last job at the NHL level

Maybe it's you who look at Cody f***ing Ceci with rose tainted glasses?
We've got to watch him since the good ol' Sens days, he was so-so than, and he's bad now

He do what Ceci does, but he's pretty much a huge upgrade at everything

Again, it's not only the fact that you get Savard, but also the fact that we are stucked with Ceci for 1 year
Basically a low first is the price of getting an actual good defenseman while getting ride of your garbage

He is a cap dump, and if you think he's good, I don't know what to tell you, man

Translation: I'm a fanboy of the Oilers and can't accept that I'm told that the player suck. I'll only recognise it when he's out of the team
Stop being such a fanboi and open your eyes
This has been straight up trolling since the OP, and this whole thread should be shut the f*** down for the remainder of its content. What a clown show.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Montréal get:
Cody Ceci
Edmonton 2024 1st

Edmonton get:
David Savard
Colorado 2023 2nd

He can play on 2nd pair easily but would obviously play on 3rd pair with the Oilers
Solid stay at home defenseman, RHD, can clear the front of the net without problem, is strong like an ox, can block shots like it's nobody's business, former winner of the Stanley Cup, etc
In return, we get useless Ceci, but we ain't making it this year or next year, so we don't care that much

Who says no?
I think Hughes seems to have a handle on what he wants and for how much. I wouldn't put it past him to include a bad contract in order to make a trade. However, Savard is the best asset here and upgrading a 2nd to a lower 1st rounder is not enough. I think Savard easily gets more than a second rounder (or whatever the difference between a 2nd and a 1st is) by himself without taking a contract back

I assume you meant 2024 second? Looks like Anaheim had the 2023

Gaud

May 11, 2017
I don't reckon I've ever heard anyone tout someone as a "top tier" third pairing player.

Mind listing the top 3rd pairing dmen in the league so I can guage where his value falls?

First time I've heard of a 5/6 dman being told they're worth a 1st
lol hilarious that folks are so honed in on the use of the words "top tier 3rd" or whatever.

I think a better term would have been "bottom 4 D". The point the poster was trying to make was that belongs in a lineup less than Savard.

I dont know how many #5/6D get traded for firsts, but this is a TOP TIER 3rd pairing D :D.

Savard got a 1st and a 3rd to go play in T Bay and win a cup in 2021 and he was a rental. Not sure if he was 3rd pairing behind Cernak, Rutta or Schenn. If we get a 2nd in July without retention or taking another contract, i think I'd be fine with it.

However, I think he fetches a lot more at the trade deadline. He is a shut down D that can take on any defensive mission, can play physical and blocks shots selflessly. He is excellent in the locker room, has a cup ring and is simply the type of guy you want to go to war with in the playoffs. He is also not a rental this time, with one year left on his contract following this one. With the playoffs coming, the trade deadline being what it is and the media coverage suggesting that there are several teams interested, i wouldn't be surprised to see Savard return a 1st.

I am also not sure to which extent he is being shopped. I think he is awesome with the youth in Montreal and he seems to want to be there. He wont hurt us if he stays and I am not sure management is going to be sad if they cant get rid of him. I'd be ok if he didnt get traded.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Montréal get:
Cody Ceci
Edmonton 2024 1st

Edmonton get:
David Savard
Colorado 2023 2nd

Who says no?
No he's not. Ceci plays top pair ES and heavy minutes on one of the best PKs in the league. Much more confident playing Ceci where he is than having Savard on the 3rd pair/IR

Reactions: Fixed to Ruin

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
What I meant was that if you play Savard on your 3rd Line, you're pretty loaded on defense, since he can Play Higher on the line-up, while Ceci straight up suck and his current gig with the Oilers is most likely his last job at the NHL level

I have to be honest with you, your assessment of Ceci isn't very accurate. He isn't anywhere near as bad as you are claiming here. The Oilers absolutely SHOULD upgrade on the right side, but Savard over Ceci isn't the move they should make IMHO. That's a lateral move at best. Further, the Oilers know what they have in Cody Ceci which won't be the case with Savard or anyone else coming in.

Whomever it is, IF it happens, it had better be a clear upgrade.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
I have to be honest with you, your assessment of Ceci isn't very accurate. He isn't anywhere near as bad as you are claiming here. The Oilers absolutely SHOULD upgrade on the right side, but Savard over Ceci isn't the move they should make IMHO. That's a lateral move at best. Further, the Oilers know what they have in Cody Ceci which won't be the case with Savard or anyone else coming in.

Whomever it is, IF it happens, it had better be a clear upgrade.
I’m still waiting for Oilers fans to acknowledge the Habs on accumulating picks. You know as your team has already successfully rebuilded, and are contenders, it’s something you’re supposed to do to new rebuilding teams that’s still years away and pose no threat to your team totally in the other conference.

That would have solved all of this bickering and will help In future threads

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
This has been straight up trolling since the OP, and this whole thread should be shut the f*** down for the remainder of its content. What a clown show.

I'm responding to posters in kind

If you're respectful, I am

If you're acting like an asshole, I go low

You seems to be part of the second group?
If you don't want to propose, or conter-offer, gtfo?

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
great link! Thanks for the information. Didnt know that Hughes has confirmed that Savard is unavailable. Great decision IMO. We still need him badly next year, which is a year where we can make the playoffs, believe it or not folks :P
i agree

mathematically montreal isn't eliminated from the 24/25 playoff race, yet.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I’m still waiting for Oilers fans to acknowledge the Habs on accumulating picks. You know as your team has already successfully rebuilded, and are contenders, it’s something you’re supposed to do to new rebuilding teams that’s still years away and pose no threat to your team totally in the other conference.

That would have solved all of this bickering and will help In future threads

I am all for trading picks if it helps the Oilers win now. I think Holland is too, but he doesn't move 1sts for rentals. Probably the biggest deal he made as two 2nds for Andreas Athanasiou and it was a complete bust.

Holland and company will move a 1st and/or a top prospect for a guy they really like. The Ekholm trade with Nashville saw the Oilers give up a 1st, a guy they just drafted in the 1st round, a 4th and Tyson Barrie. This was a homerun for the Oilers.

Is there another Ekholm-like trade out there? This time for the right side? I bet any Oiler prospects and top picks are available in such a deal. Do the Habs have anyone like that? Not from what I can see.

Reactions: Play

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Montréal get:
Cody Ceci
Edmonton 2024 1st

Edmonton get:
David Savard
Colorado 2023 2nd

Who says no?
Edmonton..there is no much much better involved when comparing Savard and Ceci they are both meh and not worth the difference between a late 1st and a late 2nd.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I'm responding to posters in kind

If you're respectful, I am

If you're acting like an asshole, I go low

You seems to be part of the second group?
If you don't want to propose, or conter-offer, gtfo?
You're not responding in kind. You've done nothing but shit all over a player you included in your own OP, like you're doing the collective hockey world a favor by coming up with a trade proposal that is doing the collective Oilers faithful a favor by helping rid them of a piece of trash hockey player that shouldn't even be near the NHL.

Your offer is trash. Your arguments have been trash, and your attempt at pretending to innocently engage in honest discussion is f***ing trash.

Full send.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
You're not responding in kind. You've done nothing but shit all over a player you included in your own OP, like you're doing the collective hockey world a favor by coming up with a trade proposal that is doing the collective Oilers faithful a favor by helping rid them of a piece of trash hockey player that shouldn't even be near the NHL.

Your offer is trash. Your arguments have been trash, and your attempt at pretending to innocently engage in honest discussion is f***ing trash.

Full send.

We really have to do this right in the morning?

@Bouboumaster thanks for adding “gtfo” at the end there, this could have been solved this morning but now bridges were burned

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I think reading Ceci's name spoken in negative tones by Oilers fans for the past couple of years has taken its toll, even if Oilers fans are clearly telling us he's doing well right now.

It takes a while for perception from other teams to catch to what a team's fans are seeing daily.
I don't blame you or the OP.
Oilers fan do crap on Ceci and would trade him for a 4th round pick.. but want a top pairing RD in any trade for him. It's complicated.

This trashy player is our top pairing RD at the moment. He is so bad that he has been a minus player for only 1 game in 2024 while playing some of the toughest minutes.

Full send.
He is only doing what Oilers fans are doing on HfOil.

• Wow
Reactions: pth2 and Play

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I’m still waiting for Oilers fans to acknowledge the Habs on accumulating picks.

Why? That’s not what the thread is about? It’s a trade proposal. We didn’t know coming in it was supposed to be a pat-on-the-back thread for selling - the easiest thing to do as a GM.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Savard is on another tier completly than Ceci tho

Ceci is borderline NHL caliber, Savard would be a top tier 3rd pair that can play on second pair

Uhh:

NameCategory WinsGPPTS/60PPP/60SOG/GSOG/60IPPEVTOI%EVEV-IPPPPTOI%PPPP-IPPSHTOI%SHSH-IPPTOIPDO5on5 SH%ZS%CorsiFenwickSalary(M)Cap Hit(M)AAV(M)
CODY CECI14450.90.01.13.232.517:2534.632.400:031.0002:4549.433.320:1310118.447.950.2494.5003.2503.250
DAVID SAVARD13271.20.01.13.155.016:5933.657.900:062.0003:3160.90.020:3610009.444.641.4424.2003.5003.500

Cody Ceci is the better player. Don't know what you mean by "borderline NHLer"...

ANd besides, there was talk that IF Ceci was traded, it'd have to be a legit upgrade over him to justify, due to the fact the locker room likes him and you do not want to disrupt it right now.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Why? That’s not what the thread is about? It’s a trade proposal. We didn’t know coming in it was supposed to be a pat-on-the-back thread for selling - the easiest thing to do as a GM.
we’re not the bad guys, Seach, we’re not the bad guys.

Now there’s been some hiccups In this thread, I won’t deny that , but we’re not the bad guys

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Like Matheson was earlier this season? You overrate your Habs defensemen.

You'd have a tough time trading Savard without retaining a portion of his contract.

The Oilers don't need any third pairing defensemen and if they're trading Ceci to upgrade, it would be for a tangible upgrade and someone with actual mobility.
This is the kind of posts that usually doesn’t age well. There’s already a lot of interest in Savard and the fact that a team could get him for 2 playoff runs at 1.75M is very enticing.

Savard without retention is valuable. Savard with 50% retention is extremely valuable.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I seen a

Trade similar to this on YouTube ( Post on Top Shelf Hockey ). It had a few more pieces in it from Montreal

To the Oilers

Gallagher retained down to dollars match
Primeau
Savard

To Montreal

Ceci
Campbell
2024 1st

I wouldn't do it as an Oiler fan.
I wouldn't do it as a Canadiens fan. Gally's game is largely gone, but at least he plays every night. Even with gap in salary, he's not the dead weight that Campbell is. Savard >> Ceci. Primeau is a contract. An Oilers first this year shouldn't be enough for HuGo to even consider it.

As far as the OP is concerned, I don't think the pick swap is enough to make up for the gap between Savard and Ceci. Habs like Savard. He provides a stabilizing veteran presence for a young core. If they move him, I think they can do so without having to take back someone that wouldn't fill the void.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
So let me get this straight; Cody Ceci who's playing top-pairing ES and PK for one of the best teams in the league wouldn't even make the roster for a lottery team with one of the worst PK units?

I'll take.my chances.

Reactions: zar

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I wouldn't do it as a Canadiens fan. Gally's game is largely gone, but at least he plays every night. Even with gap in salary, he's not the dead weight that Campbell is. Savard >> Ceci. Primeau is a contract. An Oilers first this year shouldn't be enough for HuGo to even consider it.

As far as the OP is concerned, I don't think the pick swap is enough to make up for the gap between Savard and Ceci. Habs like Savard. He provides a stabilizing veteran presence for a young core. If they move him, I think they can do so without having to take back someone that wouldn't fill the void.
1707160753411.png

What exactly is he stabilizing?

He'd be an offensive improvement on Ceci (which is kind of wild) but look at those defence and PK numbers. Woof.
GD1SX3kasAAcZdb.jpg

Ceci is no great shakes either, but I'm damned sure not giving up a first rounder to go from one to the other. Especially considering Savard's age and injury history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad