GDT: Montréal @ Toronto - 7PM ET - CBC/TVA-S/NHLN-US

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
The reason I wanted Plekanec with Hudon was to insulate him defensively while he adjusts to NHL speed. And Pacioretty and Galchenyuk need to learn to play together if this team is going to improve offensively. They're the best offensive players on this team, they should be together.

Valid point, but I don't think that's necessarily true. Historically, we've seen what happens to Plekanec the moment he isn't put on the same line as Pacioretty. He becomes the designated shutdown center, stops producing almost entirely, and gradually finds himself with role players on his wings. The reason I like him to play with the captain is that they can dominate the opposition in any given match up. They can excel on both sides of the ice, and Plekanec can produce at a legitimate 1st line clip when he's put in that situation, as he did last season and as he's on pace to do again this season.

I'd rather go with two effective top lines than put all my eggs in the same basket. Keeping Pacioretty and Galchenyuk separated, to me, ensures that we can get the best out of Plekanec, without mortgaging the offensive production of Galchenyuk.

I can see Gallagher with them as well, but I just wanted him to play in a 2nd line role more to highlight the fact to Bergevin that this team needs a proper 1RW. But playing him there would be fine. As for DLR, that doesn't bother me. I guess if we took your line up I would make a slight adjustment:

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Hudon - Plekanec - Andrighetto
Fleischmann - Eller - Carr
Byron - Mitchell - Weise

That's a fine line-up as well, but that 2nd line would concern me.

OpenIceHit

Oct 3, 2006
Toronto
They gave 2 games and one period to Galcehnyuk at C with Pacioretty (I think Gallagher wasn't even there) but to help DD, they keep him on his wing even if it doens't work.

I've always gave the benifit of the doubt to MT. I didn't like how he managed Tinordi, Pateryn and some other young guys. I didn't like all the opportunities and TOI given to DD. But I told myself that he's an NHL coach and probably knows a few things that we don't.

However, having Galchenyuk on DD's wing instead of develloping him at C like he was supposed to do, that's too much for me. I dont care too much about losing if we're develloping our future in the meantime. It's not the case. For the first time in 30 years, I'm really starting to lose interest in this team.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Valid point, but I don't think that's necessarily true. Historically, we've seen what happens to Plekanec the moment he isn't put on the same line as Pacioretty. He becomes the designated shutdown center, stops producing almost entirely, and gradually finds himself with role players on his wings. The reason I like him to play with the captain is that they can dominate the opposition in any given match up. They can excel on both sides of the ice, and Plekanec can produce at a legitimate 1st line clip when he's put in that situation, as he did last season and as he's on pace to do again this season.

I'd rather go with two effective top lines than put all my eggs in the same basket. Keeping Pacioretty and Galchenyuk separated, to me, ensures that we can get the best out of Plekanec, without mortgaging the offensive production of Galchenyuk.

That's a fine line-up as well, but that 2nd line would concern me.

To me Plekanec producing at a 60 point pace is good, and your point about a 1C production level is valid. But Galchenyuk has PPG + talent, and would change the entire dynamic of this team offensively if he can find that level with Pacioretty. Plus, this season is basically a wash now, so I think beneficially for the team going forward it's best to put them together through thick and thin.

But I doubt this coach will do that. He's more likely to put Desharnais back with Pacioretty.

For the record though, I'm with you that if the team is trying to squeak out as many wins as possible this season, Plekanec is best for that role so they can play in all situations. But, I would much rather Galchenyuk get those heavy minutes and chances to make mistakes.

As for the 2nd line. I'm not worried, Andrighetto is better defensively than given credit for, he's shifty with this stick and with Plekanec in the middle they would be fine. It would be a very shifty line that could possess the puck well through the middle of the ice. But I wouldn't be opposed to another set up there.

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Andrighetto
Hudon-Plekanec-Gallagher
Fleischmann-Eller-Carr
Byron-Mitchell-Weise

How about something like this?

In the off-season they can dump Desharnais. Trade Fleischmann, Weise and Byron at the deadline, and have a completely revamped line up going into next year with some youth infusion and a UFA signing (Ladd?)

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
why is Galchenyuk-DD-Wiese still a thing... why can't we go back to

Pacioretty-Pleks-Gallagher
Eller-Galchenyuk-Carr
Flash-DD-Wiese
4th line

Because Eller doesn't give his 100% when he's playing on the wing and his fans are giving a fit to everyone about it.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Resist! It's reverse psychology.

Oh also, apparently when the ohé song is sang habs lose.

I wish we sang full songs like they do in football stadiums, instead of this dumb Mexico chant.

Seriously, imagine everyone in unison singing Hello, by Adele. That would be hilarious.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
To me Plekanec producing at a 60 point pace is good, and your point about a 1C production level is valid. But Galchenyuk has PPG + talent, and would change the entire dynamic of this team offensively if he can find that level with Pacioretty. Plus, this season is basically a wash now, so I think beneficially for the team going forward it's best to put them together through thick and thin.

But I doubt this coach will do that. He's more likely to put Desharnais back with Pacioretty.

For the record though, I'm with you that if the team is trying to squeak out as many wins as possible this season, Plekanec is best for that role so they can play in all situations. But, I would much rather Galchenyuk get those heavy minutes and chances to make mistakes.

As for the 2nd line. I'm not worried, Andrighetto is better defensively than given credit for, he's shifty with this stick and with Plekanec in the middle they would be fine. It would be a very shifty line that could possess the puck well through the middle of the ice. But I wouldn't be opposed to another set up there.

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Andrighetto
Hudon-Plekanec-Gallagher
Fleischmann-Eller-Carr
Byron-Mitchell-Weise

How about something like this?

In the off-season they can dump Desharnais. Trade Fleischmann, Weise and Byron at the deadline, and have a completely revamped line up going into next year with some youth infusion and a UFA signing (Ladd?)

I'm just not convinced about the Plekanec/Gallagher dynamic. I think Plekanec meshes better with Pacioretty than Galchenyuk does, and I like Galchenyuk with Gallagher better than I like Plekanec with Gallagher. So to me it's all about maximizing our current assets, assuming we're still trying to make the playoffs, that is.

Moot point anyway, since I don't expect Therrien to keep Desharnais out of the line-up to begin with.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Wtf is this ****** lineup? Play our rookies and give them some NHL experience, now is the time to develop Galchenyuk and play him with Pacioretty.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I'm just not convinced about the Plekanec/Gallagher dynamic. I think Plekanec meshes better with Pacioretty than Galchenyuk does, and I like Galchenyuk with Gallagher better than I like Plekanec with Gallagher. So to me it's all about maximizing our current assets, assuming we're still trying to make the playoffs, that is.

Moot point anyway, since I don't expect Therrien to keep Desharnais out of the line-up to begin with.

I can buy that, but then Pacioretty is the 2nd line winger. Not sure how the mighty captain would feel about that lol. I wonder if they could sign Ladd in the off-season and play him on that Galcheyuk/Gallagher line if it would fit well or if they'd need someone a little more dynamic.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I can buy that, but then Pacioretty is the 2nd line winger. Not sure how the mighty captain would feel about that lol. I wonder if they could sign Ladd in the off-season and play him on that Galcheyuk/Gallagher line if it would fit well or if they'd need someone a little more dynamic.

I personally wouldn't look at it as a 1st line/2nd line type of deal. Pacioretty would still no doubt get the most minutes as a line with Plekanec down the middle remains without a doubt the team's most versatile. He would still be employed on the 1st wave of the PP/PK and arguably get the most minutes at ES as well.

A Galchenyuk/Gallagher duo would, in my mind, be more of an exploitation offensive line.

Ladd would be a terrific addition to this team, but I don't know if we'll have the money. I could see him fetch around 7M AAV on a long term contract, and I don't know if I'd be willing to commit those kinds of resources to him knowing we'll have to re-up Galchenyuk, Pacioretty and Price down the line.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
This is going to be a very entertaining game.

LOL

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
It's Price's fault. The whole mess. He takes a vacation and forces Therrien to increase grinding and I don't want to know what kind of grinding he would do in a fox hole with his GM.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I personally wouldn't look at it as a 1st line/2nd line type of deal. Pacioretty would still no doubt get the most minutes as a line with Plekanec down the middle remains without a doubt the team's most versatile. He would still be employed on the 1st wave of the PP/PK and arguably get the most minutes at ES as well.

A Galchenyuk/Gallagher duo would, in my mind, be more of an exploitation offensive line.

Ladd would be a terrific addition to this team, but I don't know if we'll have the money. I could see him fetch around 7M AAV on a long term contract, and I don't know if I'd be willing to commit those kinds of resources to him knowing we'll have to re-up Galchenyuk, Pacioretty and Price down the line.

There has to be an upgrade somewhere on the wings. They cannot go into next season with this group of wingers. They need to get rid of players who are making 3-5 million and replace the with young players and open up space for the high profile roster spots. That would open up enough space for a player like Ladd, but I would not give him 7M/year, no way. I can't see why he would get more than 5.5 a year when the cap goes down next year.

But then again, GM's are nuts so who knows.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
There has to be an upgrade somewhere on the wings. They cannot go into next season with this group of wingers. They need to get rid of players who are making 3-5 million and replace the with young players and open up space for the high profile roster spots. That would open up enough space for a player like Ladd, but I would not give him 7M/year, no way. I can't see why he would get more than 5.5 a year when the cap goes down next year.

But then again, GM's are nuts so who knows.

Ladd reportedly asked 41M over 6 years from the Jets... That's before even hitting the open market.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
A should-win game. Not an important game in the big scheme of things.... Therrien would like this to be a statement game to build some positive momentum going forward.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Ladd reportedly asked 41M over 6 years from the Jets... That's before even hitting the open market.

Well he can have fun that lol. That's a lot of extra cash for "intangibles." Like I said, I'd give him 5.5 over 4 years which wouldn't get it done but I'd make the offer. If he says yes, great; if not, move onto something else.

Boedkker 4.5 over 5 years.
Johansson 4 over 3 years.

These could be options. The free agent market is pretty thin this year for LW, especially. I guess this could benefit Ladd even more. Damn.

Side note: I think Okposo could be the best fit, but even him I wouldn't give 7M.

JtotheC

Apr 29, 2011
Montreal
Lines at practice:

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Gallagher
Galcheyuk-Desharnais-Weise
Fleischman-Eller-Carr
Flynn-Mitchell-DSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events